- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Case Report of Upper Extremities Rehablitation of 2 Cervical Spinal Cord Injured Patients by Functional Electrical Stimulation with Korean Medical Interventions
경추부 척수손상 사지마비 환자의 한방치료와 기능적 전기 자극요법을 통한 상지 재활 치험 2례
- Lee, Jong-Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Cho, Sung-Woo (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2015.06.18
- Accepted : 2015.06.30
- Published : 2015.07.31
Two patients, diagnosed as cervical spinal cord injury, were hospitalized and treated by Korean medical interventions with Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES). The range of motion of the shoulder joint, manual muscle test were adopted to measure the resulting motor recovery after treatment. And the Korean version of Barthel index (K-MBI) was adopted as a method of measuring the improvement of quality of life after treatment. The range of motions and muscle strengths of the shoulder joints were improved. The activities of daily living were slightly improved in case 2, but showed no improvement in case 1. FES was effective for upper extremities rehabilitation of spinal cord injured patients. Further studies are needed to set up an Korean medical protocol for spinal cord injury rehabilitation.
- Kee-Hyun Chang, In-One Kim, Moon-Hee Han. Neuroradiology. Seoul:Ilchokak. 2004:573.
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. Seoul: zNew Med Journal. 2004:675-8.
- Kenneth W. Lindsay, Ian Bone. Neurology and neurosurgery illustrated. Seoul:Epublic. 2006:582-3.
- Wyndale M, Wyndale JJ. Incidence, Prevalence and Epidemiology of Spinal Cord Injury: What Learns a Worldwide Literature Survey? Spinal Cord. 2006;44(9):523-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101893
- Ackery A, Tator C, Krassioukov A. A Global Perspective on Spinal Cord Injury Epidemiology. J Neurotrauma. 2004;21(10):1355-70. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2004.21.1355
- Seoul National University. Neurology. Seoul:Panmun Education. 2005:484-6.
- Chang Il Park, Jae Ho Moon. Rehabilitation Medicine. Seoul:Hanmibook. 2007:449-533.
- Sung Rae Shin, Aee Lee Kim. Factors Effect on Quality of Life of Spinal Cord Injury Patients. Journal of Nurses Acsdemic Spciety. 2001;31(1):126-38.
- DeLisa JA. Developing an Integrative Approach to Spinal Cord Medicine. J spinal cord Med. 2003;26(1):27. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2003.11753656
- Dietrich WD, Levi AD, Wang M, Green BA. Hypothermic Treatment for Acute Spinal Cord Injury. Neurotherapeutics. 2011;8(2):229-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13311-011-0035-3
- Lee KH, Yoon DH, Park YG, Lee BH. Effects of Glial Transplantation on Functional Recovery Following Acute Spinal Cord Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2005;22(5):575-89. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2005.22.575
- Liberson WT, Holmquest HJ, Scot D, Dow M. Functional Electrotherapy: Stimulation of the Peroneal Nerve Synchronized with the Swing Phase of the Gait of Hemiplegic Patients. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 1961;42:101-5.
- Jae Hyung Lee et al. Current Electrotherapy. Seoul: Daihak Republics. 2011:363.
- The Society of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine 4th Ed. Seoul:Koonja. 2015:382-3.
- Chung-Yong Yang, Byung-Cheul Shin, Bok-Hee Chong. The Effect of Double Application of Functional Electrical Stimulation in Patients with Dysphagia after Stroke. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2008;18(1):111-23.
- In Heo, Kwang-Ho Heo, Eui-Hyung Hwang, Byung- Cheul Shin, Man-Suk Hwang. A Case Report on Patient with Guillain-Barre Syndrome Improved by Korean Medical Combined Treatment. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2015;25(1):95-101. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.1.095
- Geon Mok Lee, Woo Joon Hwang, Ki Yong Cho, Ki Young Kim. The Effects of Aqua-acupuncture with Radix aconiti on the Contraction of Rat's Spinal Cord Injury. The Acupuncture. 1999;16(1):283-96.
- Joung-Jo An, Uk Namgung, In-Chan Seol, Yoon-Sik Kim. Effects of Oriental Medicinal Drugs on Axonal Regeneration in the Spinal Cord Neurons. Korean J. Oriental Physiology&Pathology. 2005;19(6):1640-6.
- Ji-Yong Park, Jae-Uk Seol, Sun-Jong Kim, Jin-Bong Choi, Mi-Suk Shin. Effects of Yanghyuljanggeungunbo-tang (Yangxuezhuangjinjianbu-tang) and Cervi Cornu Parvum Pharmaco-Acupuncture on the Motor Function Recovery and Nerve Regeneration in Rats Induced Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2009;19(2):27-49.
- Ki Tae Lee, Yoon Sik Kim, Ho Ryong Ryu, Hyun Kyeng Jo, Jung Jo An, Uk Namgung, In Chan Seol. Regulatory Effects of Samul-tang on Axonal Recovery after Spinal Cord Injury in Rats. Korean J. Oriental Physiology& Pathology. 2006;20(5):1303-10.
- Geon Mok Lee, Woo Joon Hwang, Kyung Sik Kim, Mi-Na Cheon, Jong Hwan Kim. Long term Effects of Acupuncture treatment on the Contraction of Rat's Spinal Cord Injury. The Acupuncture. 1997;14(1):273-86.
- Yang JW, Jeong SM, Seo KM, Nam TC. Effects of Corticosteroid and Electroacupuncture on Experimental Spinal Cord Injury in Dogs. J Vet Sci. 2003;4(1):97-101.
- Yang C, Li B, Liu TS, Zhao DM, Hu FA. Effects of Electroacupuncture on Proliferation of Astrocytes after Spinal Cord Injury. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2005;25(8):569-72.
- Mi-Sook Ha, Min-Hee Rho. Effects of Electroacupuncture on Activity of GOT, GPT, LDH and Functional Recovery in the Motor Injury Rats by the 6-hydroxydopamine. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2010;5(2):265-72.
- Jae-Uk Seol, Min-Kyu Chu, Sun-Jong Kim, Jin-Bong Choi, Mi-suk Shin, Soo-Ik Kim. Effects of Yanghyuljanggeungunbotang (Yangxuezhuangjinjianbu-tang) and Electrical Acupuncture on the Spinal Nerve Injury and the Motor Function. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2009;19(2):1-25.
- Mi-Sung Yang, Young-Bum Kee, Dae-Hee Kang, Mi-Suk Shin, Sun-Jong Kim, Jin-Bong Choi. The Effects of ST36, GB34, GB39 and Hyeopcheok Points on Nerve Regeneration in Spinal Cord Injury Rat Model. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2012;22(4):1-21.
- Jong-Kyung Nam, Myeong-Jong Lee, Ho-Jun Kim. The Clinical Study on Hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue Acupuncture Treatment to Neuropathic Pain of Patients with Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2010;20(2):183-90.
- Kwang-Soo Kim, Hyun-Du Seo, Byoung-Hee Lee, Seong- Yeol Kim, Jong-Soo Lee. The Effect of Core Progam Exercise on Dynamic Balance of the Patient with Post- Stroke Hemiplegia. Journal of Korean Rehab Med. 2010; 20(2):79-87.
- The Society of Hyung-Sang Medicine. Donguibogam. Hadong:Donguibogam Publisher. 2005:1261.
- Henry M. Seidel et al. Physical Examination. Seoul: Hanmibook. 2002:713-5.
- Carlayne EJ. Clinical Approach to Muscle Diseases. Semin Neurol. 2008;28(2):228-40. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1062266
- Han Young Jung, Byung Kyu Park, Hee Suk Shin, Yoon Kyoo Kang, Sung Bom Pyun, Nam Jong Paik, See Hyun Kim, Tae Hyun Kim, Tai Ryoon Han. Development of the Korean Version of Modified Barthel Index (K-MBI): Multi-center Study for Subjects with Stroke. J Korean Acad Rehab Med. 2007;31(3):283-97.
- McColl MA, Walker J, Stirling P, Wilkins R, Corey P. Expectations of Life and Health among Spinal Cord Injured Adults. Spinal Cord. 1997;35:818-28. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3100546
- Fowler S, Newton L. Complementary and Alternative Therapies: the Nurse's Role. J Neurosci Nurs. 2006;38(4):261-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/01376517-200608000-00009
- Cardenas DD, Jensen MP. Treatments for Chronic Pain in Persons with Spinal Cord Injury: A survey study. J Spinal Cord Med. 2006;29(2):109-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2006.11753864
- The Society of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine 2nd Ed. Seoul:Koonja. 2005:135-7.
- HL Wen. Acute Central Cervical Spinal Cord Syndrome Treated by Acupuncture and Electrical stimulation(AES). Am. J. Chin. Med. 1978;6(2):131-5. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0147291778000204
- Han QM, Xie J, Chai ST, Fang J, Liu Q. Effect of Governer Meridian Electro-acupuncture on Water Channel Aquaporin-4 in Experimental Spinal Cord Injured Rats. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2005;25(7):637-9.
- Peng B, Meng XF, Li M, Li LL, Zhang J, Liu XC, Shi J, Chen F. Effects of Electroacupuncture on the Expression of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor and Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein after Spinal Cord Injury in Rats. Zhen Ci Yan Jiu. 2007;32(4):219-23.
- Paola FA, Arnold M. Acupuncture and Spinal Cord Medicine. J Spinal Cord Med. 2003;26(1):12-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2003.11753654
- Hurlbert RJ, Tator CH. Characterization of Longitudinal Field Gradients from Electrical Stimulation in the Normal and Injured Rodent Spinal Cord. Neurosurgery. 1994;34(3):471-83. https://doi.org/10.1227/00006123-199403000-00013
- Tim Watson et al. Electrotherapy, Evidence-Based Practice. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. 2008:317-26.
- Behrens BJ, Beinert H. Physical agents - Theory and practice. Philadelphia: F.A.Davis Company. 2014:251-336.
- Taylor P, Esnouf J, Hobby J. The Functional Impact of the Freehand System on Tetraplegic Hand Function: clinical results. Spinal Cord. 2002;40(11):560-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101373
- Mulcahey MJ, Betz RR, Kozin SH et al. Implantation of the Freehand System During Initial Rehabilitation Using Minimally Invasive Techniques. Spinal Cord. 2004;42(3):146-55. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101573
- Meridians&Acupuncture Compilation Committee of Korean Oriental Medical Colleges. Principles of Meridians& Acupoints; A Guidebook for College Students. Wonju:Eui Bang Publishing Co. 2008:160-8.
- Meridians&Acupuncture Compilation Committee of Korean Oriental Medical Colleges. Details of Meridians& Acupoints(Vol II); A Guidebook for College Students. Wonju:Eui Bang Publishing Co. 2008:898-902.
- Effectiveness of Combined Korean Medicine on Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Report vol.38, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.17044