- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Case Report of Asthma Patient with Pneumonia Improved by Buteyko Breathing Technique and Korean Medical Treatment
폐렴을 동반한 천식 환자에서 Buteyko Breathing Technique과 한방치료를 병행하여 호전된 증례
- Park, Jeong-ha (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, Nasaret Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Oh, Deuk-ju (Department of Oriental Internal Medicine, Nasaret Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Park, Su-jeong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, Nasaret Korean Medicine Hospital)
- Received : 2015.06.16
- Accepted : 2015.07.07
- Published : 2015.07.31
Objectives The objective of this study si to report clinical effect of korean medical treatments and Buteyko breathing technique for asthma patient with pneumonia. Methods The patient was treated by korean medical treatment including acupunture, moxibustion, herbal medication and Buteyko breathing technique. The improvement of clinical symptoms was observed by visual checking and X-ray, Pulmonary Function Test that index include TV, FVC, FEV1. Results After treatments, the patient was improved in visual checking and X-ray on chest, TV, FVC, FEV1. Conclusions We suggest that korean medical treatment and Buteyko breathing technique could be an effective method to improve the asthma patient with pneumonia.
Pneumonia;Asthma;Korean medical treatment;Buteyko breathing technique
- NICE. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Pneumonia(including community acquired pneumonia). 2014. Available from: URL: http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg191/chapter/introduction.
- Song JH, Jung KS. Treatment Guidelines for Communityacquired Pneumonia in Korea: An Evidence-based Approach to Appropriate Antimicrobial Therapy. J Korean Med Assoc. 2010:53(1):20-42. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2010.53.1.20
- Zedan M, Settin A, Farag MK, El-Bayoumi M, El Regal ME, El Baz R, Osman E. Gene polymorphisms of tumor necrosis factor alpha-308 and interleukin-10-1082 among asthmatic Egyptian children. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2008:29(3):268-73. https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2008.29.3123
- Xie M, Wenzel SE. A global perspective in asthma: from phenotype to endotype. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013:126(1):166-74.
- James KM, Peebles RS Jr, Hartert TV. Response to infections in patients with asthma and atopic disease: An epiphenomenon or reflection of host susceptibility? J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012:130(2):343-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2012.05.056
- Bang JH, Jung HJ, Jung SK. A Clinical Observation of Chungsanboha-tang's Effects on Asthmatic Patients. Korean J. Orient.Int. Med. 2011:32(1):10-25.
- Shin WY, Hyun MK, Jeong BM, Choi EY, Yoon CH, Jeong JC. A Clinical Report of One old aged patient with Pneumonia. Korean J. Orient.Int. Med. 2005:26(1):229-35.
- Courtney R. Strengths, weaknesses, and possibilities of the Buteyko breathing method. Biofeedback. 2008:36(2):59-63.
- Cowie RL, Conley DP, Underwood MF, Reader PG. A randomised controlled trial of the Buteyko technique as an adjunct to conventional management of asthma. Respir Med. 2008:102(5):726-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2007.12.012
- Burgess J, Ekanayake B, Lowe A, Dunt D, Thien F, Dharmage SC. Systematic review of the effectiveness of breathing retraining in asthma management. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2011:5(6):789-807. https://doi.org/10.1586/ers.11.69
- Trotter JF, Levi M, Steinberg T, Lancaster J. Absence of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in liver transplantation recipients receiving short-term(3-month) prophylaxis. Transpl Infect Dis. 2008:10(5):369-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3062.2008.00318.x
- Anand S, Samaniego M, Kaul DR. Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia is rare in renal transplant recipients receiving only one month of prophylaxis. Transpl Infect Dis. 2011:13(6):570-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3062.2011.00692.x
- Jayaprakash K, Kishanprasad H, Ismail M, Raju M, Dasguptha A. Mucoepidermoid lung carcinoma in child. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2014:4(2):276-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/2141-9248.129063
- Masiero S, Pierobon R, Previato C, Gomiero E. Pneumonia in stroke patients with oropharyngeal dysphagia: a sixmonth follow-up study. Neurol Sci. 2008:29(3):139-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-008-0925-2
- McKinnell JA, Cannella AP, Kunz DF, Hook EW 3rd, Moser SA, Miller LG, Baddley JW, Pappas PG. Pneumocystis pneumonia in hospitalized patients: a detailed examination of symptoms, management, and outcomes in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected and HIVuninfected persons. Transpl Infect Dis. 2012:14(5):510-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3062.2012.00739.x
- McKeever T, Harrison TW, Hubbard R, Shaw D. Inhaled corticosteroids and the risk of pneumonia in people with asthma: a case-control study. Chest. 2013:144(6):1788-94. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.13-0871
- Norbert P. Difficult-to-treat Asthma with Idiopathic Chronic Eosinophilic Pneumonia. World Allergy Organ J[serial online] 2012 February 5[cited 2012 February 17](Suppl 2): S117. Available from: URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3512619.
- Jeong BJ, Han SH, Kim JW, Kim BC, Woo SH, Son JH, Lee JY, Hwang GD, Seo HS, Kim YH. Bronchiectasis and Pneumonia in an Elderly Patient Treated through Paeong. Korean J. Orient.Int. Med. 2005:26(3):626-33.
- Hyun-Ha Chang. Community-acquired pneumonia in elderly patients. Korean J Med 2010:79(4):346-55.
- Bousquet J, Jeffery PK, Busse WW, Johnson M, Vignola AM. Asthma. From bronchoconstriction to airways inflammation and remodeling. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000:161(5):1720-45. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.161.5.9903102
- Lee Gwang-Ho, Kim Sung-Hoon, Song Hyo-Jung. Study on Antitumor Effect and Immune Response of Kilkyungtang and Kamikilkyungtang. Korean J. Oriental Medical Pathology. 1996:10(1):105-19.