- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Alleviating Effect of Salicylic Acid Pre-treatment on Soil Moisture Stress of Waxy Corn
- Seo, Youngho (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Ryu, Sihwan (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Park, Jongyeol (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Choi, Jaekeun (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Park, Kijin (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Kyunghi (Gangwon Agricultural Research & Extension Services)
- Received : 2014.12.04
- Accepted : 2015.06.26
- Published : 2015.06.30
Soil moisture shortage can reduce yield of waxy corn because maize is one of the sensitive crops to the drought stress. Farmers cannot irrigate due to limited water resource and irrigating facilities although applying water is the most effective practice to solve the drought problem. The study was conducted to investigate the pre-treatment effect of salicylic acid on reducing drought damage of waxy corn (Zea mays L.). Salicylic acid at concentration of 0.2 mM was applied at seven-leaf stage or ten-leaf stage three times. Drought stress was imposed by withholding irrigation from 11 days before anthesis to 10 days after anthesis. Application of salicylic acid significantly increased ear length by 11.0~12.3% and yield by 8.8~11.3% compared with non-treated control, indicating that the drought injuries of waxy corn can be alleviated through pre-treatment of salicylic acid at the vegetative stage.
- Akter, N., M.R. Islam, M.A. Karim, and T. Hossain. 2014. Alleviation of drought stress in maize by exogenous application of gibberellic acid and cytokinin. J. Crop Sci. Biotech. 17:41-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12892-013-0117-3
- Ali, Q. and M. Ashraf. 2011. Induction of drought tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.) due to exogenous application of trehalose: growth, photosynthesis, water relations and oxidative defence mechanism. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 197:258-271. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-037X.2010.00463.x
- Al-Kaisi, M.M., R.W. Elmore, J.G. Guzman, H.M. Hanna, C.E. Hart, M.J. Helmers, E.W. Hodgson, A.W. Lenssen, A.P. Mallarino, A.E. Robertson, and J.E. Sawyer. 2013. Drought impact on crop production and the soil environment: 2012 experiences from Iowa. J. Soil Water Conserv. 68:19A-24A. https://doi.org/10.2489/jswc.68.1.19A
- Amin, A.A., A.A.A. El-Kader, M.A.F. Shalaby, F.A.E. Gharib, E.M. Rashad, and J.A.T. da Silva. 2013. Physiological effects of salicylic acid and thiourea on growth and productivity of maize plants in sandy soil. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 44:1141-1155. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103624.2012.756006
- Anjum, S.A., M. Farooq, L.C. Wang, L.L. Xue, S.G. Wang, L. Wang, S. Zhang, and M. Chen. 2011. Gas exchange and chlorophyll synthesis of maize cultivars are enhanced by exogenously-applied glycinebetaine under drought conditions. Plant Soil Environ. 57:326-331.
- Ashlaf, M. 2010. Inducing drought tolerance in plants: Recent advances. Biotech. Advan. 28:169-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2009.11.005
- Aslam, M. 2011. Assessment of Physiolgenetic Traits for Drought Tolerance in Maize. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller. Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Ault, T.R., J.E. Cole, J.T. Overpeck, G.T. Pederson, and D.M. Meko. 2014. Assessing the risk of persistent drought using climate model simulations and paleoclimate data. J. Climate. 27:7529-7549. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00282.1
- Cakir, R. 2004. Effect of water stress at different development stages on vegetative and reproductive growth of corn. Field Crop Res. 89:1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2004.01.005
- Claassen, M.M. and R.H. Shaw. 1970. Water deficit effects on corn. II. Grain components. Agron. J. 62:652-655. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1970.00021962006200050032x
- de Souza T.C., P.C. Magalhaes, E.M. de Castro, P.E.P. de Albuquerque, and M.A. Marabesi. 2013. The influence of ABA on water relation, photosynthesis parameters, and chlorophyll fluorescence under drought conditions in two maize hybrids with contrasting drought resistance. Acta Physiol. Plant. 36:515-527.
- DuPlessis, D.P. and F.J. Dijkhuis. 1967. The influence of time lag between pollen shedding and silking on the yield of maize. South African J. Agri. Sci. 10:667-674.
- Elwana, M.W.M. and M.A.M. El-Hamahmyb. 2009. Improved productivity and quality associated with salicylic acid application in greenhouse pepper. Sci. Hort. 122:521-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2009.07.001
- Eom, K.C., S.H. Park, and S.Y. Yoo. 2013. Water requirement of maize according to growth stage. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 46:16-22. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.1.016
- Grant, R.F., B.S. Jackson, J.R. Kiniry, and G.F. Arkin. 1989. Water deficit timing effects on yield components in maize. Agron. J. 81:61-65. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1989.00021962008100010011x
- Heisey, P.W. and G.O. Edmeades. 1999. Maize Production in Drought-Stressed Environments: Technical Options and Research Resource Allocation. World Maize Facts and Trends 1997/98. International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT). Mexico, D.F., Mexico. p68.
- Kadioglu, A., N. Saruhan, A. Saglam, R. Terzi, and T. Acet. 2011. Exogenous salicylic acid alleviates effects of long term drought stress and delays leaf rolling by inducing antioxidant system. Plant Growth Regul. 64:27-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-010-9532-3
- Liu, F. C.R. Jensen, and M.N. Anderson. 2004. Drought stress effect on carbohydrate concentration in soybean leaves and pods during early reproductive development: its implication in altering pod set. Field Crop Res. 86:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4290(03)00165-5
- Miura, K. and Y. Tada. 2014. Regulation of water, salinity, and cold stress responses by salicylic acid. Frontiers Plant Sci. 5:1-12.
- Moghadam N.M., M.J. Arvin, G.R.K. Nezhad, and K. Maghsoudi. 2011. Effect of salicylic acid on growth and forage and grain yield of maize under drought stress in field conditions. Seed Plant Prod. J. 27:41-55.
- National Institute of Meteorological Research (NIMR). 2011. Climate Change Scenario Report 2011. National Institute of Meteorological Research. Seoul, Korea. p117.
- NeSmith, D.S. and J.T. Ritchie. 1992. Effects of soil waterdeficits during tassel emergence on development and yield components of maize (Zea mays L.). Field Crop Res. 28: 251-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4290(92)90044-A
- Rao, S.R., A. Qayyum, A. Razzaq, M. Ahmad, I. Mahmood, and A. Sher. 2012. Role of foliar application of salicylic acid and L-tryptophan in drought tolerance of maize. J. Animal Plant Sci. 22:768-772.
- Robins, J.S. and C.E. Domingo. 1953. Some effects of severe soil moisture deficits at specific growth stages in corn. Agron. J. 45:618-621. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1953.00021962004500120009x
- Saruhan, N., A. Saglam, and A. Kadioglu. 2012. Salicylic acid pretreatment induces drought tolerance and delays leaf rolling by inducing antioxidant systems in maize genotypes. Acta Physiol. Plant. 34:97-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-011-0808-7
- Seo, Y., K. Park, E. Chang, S. Ryu, J. Park, and K. Kim. 2014. Effect of salicylic acid and abscisic acid on drought stress of waxy corn. Korean. J. Crop Sci. 59:54-58. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.1.054
- Sharafizad, M., A. Naderi, S.A. Siadat, T. Sakinejad, and S. Lak. 2012. Effect of salicylic acid pretreatment on yield, its components and remobilization of stored material of wheat under drought Stress. J. Agric. Sci. 4:115-125.
- Shaw, R.H. 1976. Water use and requirements of maize-a review. In Agrometeorology of the Maize (Corn) Crop. World Meteorological Organization No 481. pp119-134.
- Syeed, S. N. Anjum, R. Nazar, N. Iqbal, A. Masood, and N. Khan. 2011. Salicylic acid-mediated changes in photosynthesis, nutrents content and antioxidant metabolism in two mustard (Brassica juncea L.) cultivars differing in salt tolerance. Acta Physiol. Plant 33:877-886. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-010-0614-7
- Tufail, A., M. Arfan, A.R. Gurmani, A. Khan, and A. Bano. 2013. Salicylic acid induced salinity tolerance in maize (Zea mays). Pak. J. Bot. 45:75-82.
- Wang B., Z. Li, A.E. Eneji, X. Tian, Z. Zhai, J. Li, and L. Duan. 2008. Effects of coronatine on growth, gas exchange traits, chlorophyll content, antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in maize (Zea mays L.) seedlings under simulated drought stress. Plant Prod. Sci. 11:283-290. https://doi.org/10.1626/pps.11.283
- Zamaninejad, M., S.K. Khorasani, M.J. Moeini, and A.R. Heidarian. 2013. Effect of salicylic acid on morphological characteristics, yield and yield components of corn (Zea mays L.) under drought condition. Euro. J. Exp. Bio. 3:153-161.
- Zargar, S.M. and A. Agnihotri. 2013. Impact of silicon on various agro-morphological and physiological parameters in maize and revealing its role in enhancing water stress tolerance. Emir. J. Food Agric. 25:138-141. https://doi.org/10.9755/ejfa.v25i2.10581