- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Cell proliferation effect of brown marine algae extracts on Mouse Fibroblast
해조류 추출물이 섬유아세포의 증식에 미치는 영향
Ko, Ju-Young;Lee, Ji-Hyeok;Kim, Hyun-Soo;Kim, Hyung-Ho;Jeon, You-Jin
- Received : 2015.07.06
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.06.30
We examined cell regeneration efficiency of brown marine algae living in Jeju coast for search of a novel therapeutic device with cutaneous wound healing materials. The five algae were collected and compared with epidermal growth factor (EGF) as a positive control in the assays of cell proliferation and cell migration of NIH3T3 fibroblast cells. Among the 80% methanol extracts of these brown algae, the two algal extracts from Ishige foliacea and Colpomenia bullosa showed the proliferative effects of the cells similar to the effect of EGF. Besides it was found that Colpomenia bullosa extract significantly enhanced cell migration of NIH3T3 cell. In the study, therefore, we confirmed that the Colpomenia bullosa extract improved proliferation of NIH3T3 cell and a potential candidate for cultaneous wound healing.
Brown marine algae;Epidermal growth factor;Cell proliferation;Fibroblast
Lim, N. Y., Kim, D. S., Ko, K. S., Mun, Y. J. and Woo, W. H. 2011. Effect of Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
$H_2O$extract on cell proliferation in human dermal fibroblast. Kor. J. Acupuncture. 28(3), 43-51.
- Manzoor, Z., Mathema, V. B., Chae, D., Kang, H. K., Yoo, E. S., Jeon, Y. J. and Koh, Y. S. 2013. Octaphlorethol A inhibits the CpG-induced inflammatory response by attenuating the mitogen-activated protein kinase and NF-kB pathways. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 77(9), 1970-1972. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.130299
- Moon, S. H., Kim, H. S. and Lee, H. M. 2001. Growth factors and their clinical applications. J. Kor. Spine. Surg. 8(3), 372-377. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2001.8.3.372
- Oh, E. J., Shin, J. H., Choi, J. H. and Chung, H. Y. 2010. Biological effect of placenta extract on human fibroblast. Tissue. Eng. Regen. Med. 7(2), 217-222.
- Seo, Y., Kang, S. H., Lee, H. J., Kim, Y. A., Youn, H. J., Lee, B. J. and Chung, H. 2006. In vitro screening of seaweed extract on the proliferation of mouse spleen and thymus cell. Biotechnol. Bioproc. E. 11(2), 160-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02931901
- Chen, X., Cen, P. and Chen, J. 2005. Enhanced production of human epidermal growth factor by a recombinant Escherichia coli integrated with in situ exchange of acetic acid by macroporous ion-exchange resin. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 5, 579-581.
- Cho, A. R. 2002. Effect of silver sulfadiazine on the skin cell proliferation and wound healing process in hairless mouse 2nd degree burn model. J. Kor. Pharm. Sci. 32(2), 133-117.
- Chung, K. H., Park, S. H., Kim, M. K., Park, H. D. and Son, T. I. 2006. Stabilization of epidermal growth factor on thermal and proteolytic degradation by conjugation with low molecular weight chitosan. J. App. Polym. Sci. 102, 5072-5082. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.25213
- Elias, P. M. 1983. Epidermal lipids, barrier function, and desquamation. J. Invest. Dermatol. 80, 44-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12531034
- Harding, C. R. 2004. The stratum corneum: Structure and function in health and disease. Dermatol. Ther. 17, 6-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1396-0296.2004.04S1001.x
- Hardwicke, J., Schmaljohann, D., Boyce, D. and Thomas, D. 2008. Epidermal growth factor therapy and wound healing-past, present and future perspective. Surgeon. 6, 172-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1479-666X(08)80114-X
- Jung, Y. and Li, S. H. 2013. The effects of Er-miao-San extract on cell proliferation in normal human dermal fibroblasts. Kor. J. Aesthet. Cosmetol. 11(5), 943-949.
- Kang, M. C., Kim, K. N., Lakmal, H. H. C., Kim, E. A., Wijesinghe, W. A. J. P., Yang, X., Heo, S. J. and Jeon, Y. J. 2014. Octaphlorethol A isolated from Ishige foliacea prevents and protects against high glucose-induced oxidative damage in vitro and in vivo. Environ. Toxicol. Phar. 38(2), 607-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2014.08.001
- Kim, M. J., Kim, J. Y., Jung, T. K., Choi, S. W. and Yoon, K. S. 2006. Skin anti-aging effect of Forsythia viridissima L. extract. Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 21(6), 444-450.
- Lee, S. H., Kang, S. M., Ko, S. C., Lee, D. H. and Jeon. Y. J. 2012. Octaphlorethol A, a novel phenolic compound isolated from a brown alga, Ishige foliacea, increases glucose transporter 4-mediated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle cells. Biochem. Bioph. Res. Co. 420(3), 576-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2012.03.036
- Lee, S. Y., Kim, J. H., Song, E. J., Kim, K. B. W. R., Hong, Y. K., Lim, S. M. and Ahn, D. H. 2009. Investigation of antimicrobial activity of brown algae extracts and the thermal and pH effects on their activity. Food. Sci. Biotechnol. 18(2), 506-512.
Supported by : 한국연구재단