- Volume 39 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Friction and Wear Characteristics of Cast Iron Material Under Various Conditions
다양한 조건에 따른 주철 소재의 마찰/마모 특성에 관한 연구
- Joo, Ji-Hoon (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Kim, Chang-Lae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Nemati, Narguess (Center for Nano-Wear, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Oh, Jeong-Taek (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Kim, Dae-Eun (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- 주지훈 (연세대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 김창래 (연세대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 나르게스 네마티 (무한 내마모 연구단) ;
- 오정택 (연세대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 김대은 (연세대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2014.11.26
- Accepted : 2015.06.03
- Published : 2015.08.01
Cast iron is widely used in fields such as the transport and heavy industries. For parts where contact damage is expected to occur, it is necessary to understand the friction and wear characteristics of cast iron. In this study, we use cast iron plates as the specimens to investigate their friction and wear characteristics. We perform various experiments using a reciprocating type tribotester. We assess the frictional characteristics by analyzing the friction coefficient values that were obtained during the sliding tests. We observe the wear surfaces of cast iron and steel balls using a scanning electron microscope, confocal microscope, and 3d profiler. We investigate the friction and wear characteristics of cast iron by injecting sand and alumina particles having various sizes. Furthermore, we estimate the effect of temperature on the friction and wear characteristics. The results obtained are expected to aid in the understanding of the tribological characteristics of cast iron in industry.
Alumina Particle;Cast Iron;Friction;High Temperature Tribotester;Wear;Wheel/Rail
Supported by : 국토교통부, 한국연구재단
- Bathe, R., Krishna, V. S., Nikumb, S. K. and Padmanabham, G., 2014, "Laser Surface Texturing of Gray Cast Iron for Improving Tribological Behavior," Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, Vol. 117, No. 1, pp. 117-123. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-014-8281-y
- Arias-Cuevasa, O., Li, Z. and Lewis, R., 2011, "A Laboratory Investigation on the Influence of the Particle Size and Slip During Sanding on the Adhesion and Wear in the Wheel-Rail Contact," Wear, Vol. 271, No. 5, pp. 14-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2010.10.050
- Wang, W. J., Zhang, H. Y., Wang, H. Y., Liu, Q. Y. and Zhu, M. H., 2011, "Study on the Adhesion Behavior of Wheel/Rail Under Oil, Water and Sanding Conditions," Wear, Vol. 271, No. 9-10, pp. 2693-2698. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2010.12.019
- Kaur, K. and Pandey, O. P., 2010, "Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Zircon Sand Reinforced Al-Si Alloy," Tribology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 377-387.
- Matsumoto, K., Suda, Y., Komine, H., Nakai, T., Tomeoka, M., Shimizu, K., Tanimoto, M., Kishimoto, Y. and Fujii, T., 2005, "A Proposal of Wheel/Rail Contact Model for Friction Control," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 437-443. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02916165
- Chen, H., Ishida, M., Namuraa, A., Baek, K. S., Nakahara, T., Leban, B. and Pau, M., 2011, "Estimation of Wheel/Rail Adhesion Coefficient under Wet Condition with Measured Boundary Friction Coefficient and Real Contact Area," Wear, Vol. 271, No. 1-2, pp. 32-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2010.10.022
- Chen, H., Ishida, M. and Nakahara, T., 2005, "Analysis of Adhesion Under Wet Conditions for Three-Dimensional Contact Considering Surface Roughness," Wear, Vol. 258, No. 7-8, pp. 1209-1216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2004.03.031
- Berthier, Y., Descartes, S., Busquet, M., Niccolini, E., Desrayaud, C., Baillet, L. and Baietto-Dubourg, M. C., 2004, "The Role and Effects of the Third Body in the Wheel-Rail Interaction," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 423-436. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2004.00764.x
- Ohno, K., Ban, T., Obara, T. and Kawaguchi, K., 1994, "Adhesion Improvement with Jetting Ceramic Particles in High Speed Running," Railway Technical Research Institute, Quarterly Report, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 218-220.
- Wang, W. J., Liu, T. F., Wang, H. Y., Liu, Q. Y., Zhu, M. H. and Jin, W. S., 2014, "Influence of Friction Modifiers on Improving Adhesion and Surface Damage of Wheel/Rail Under Low Adhesion Condition," Tribology International, Vol. 75, pp. 16-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2014.03.008
- Kim, K. I., Kim, C. L. and Kim, D. E., 2012, "Characterization of Durability of Coatings for Cell Phone Cover by Wear, Erosion, and Pull-off Tests," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 1633-1639. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-012-0214-0
- Bhandari, V. B., 2014, MACHINE DESIGN Data Book, McGraw Hill Education, India, pp. 22-24.
- Lee, H. N., Nakamura, H. and Kobayashi, H., 2004, "Utilization of Thermo-elasto-plastic Analysis of Welding Eigen strain for Improvement of the Bead Flush Method," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 71, No. 15, pp. 2245-2255. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(03)00025-0
- Yan, W. and Fisher, D., 2000, "Applicability of the Hertz Contact Theory to Rail-Wheel Contact Problems," Archive of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. 255-268. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004199900035
- Fischer, F. D., Daves, W. and Werner, E. A., 2003, "On the Temperature in the Wheel-Rail Rolling Contact," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 999-1006. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.2003.00700.x
- Wong, K. C., Lu, X., Cotter, J., Eadie, D. T., Wong, P. C. and Mitchell, K. A. R., 2007, "Surface and Friction Characterization of MoS2 and WS2 Third Body Thine Films Under Simulated Wheel/Rail Rolling-Sliding Contact," Wear, Vol. 264, No. 7, pp. 526-534.
- Descartes, S., Desrayaud, C., Niccolini, E. and Berthier, Y., 2005, "Presence and Role of the Third Body in a Wheel-Rail Contact," Wear, Vol. 258, No. 7, pp. 1081-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2004.03.068
- Grieve, D. G., Dwyer-Joyce, R. S. and Beynon, J. H., 2001, "Abrasive Wear of Railway Track by Solid Contaminants," Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 215, No. 3, pp. 193-205. https://doi.org/10.1243/0954409011531512
- Misra, A. and Finnie, I., 1983, "An Experimental Study of Three-body Abrasive Wear," Wear, Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 57-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(83)90335-6
- Venkatesan, K., Subramanian, C. and Summerville, E., 1997, "Three-body Abrasion of Surface Engineered Die Steel at Elevated Temperature," Wear, Vol. 203, pp. 129-138.