- Volume 39 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Mechanical Properties of Additive Manufactured Polymer Materials
적층조형 폴리머 재료의 기계적 물성 연구
- Kim, Dongbum (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, In Hwan (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Cho, Hae Yong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.02.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.07
- Published : 2015.08.01
Traditionally, additive manufacturing (AM) technology has been used to fabricate prototypes in the early development phase of a product. This technology is being applied to release manufacturing of a product because of its low cost and fast fabrication. AM technology is a process of joining materials to fabricate a product from the 3D CAD data in a layer-by-layer manner. The orientation of a layer during manufacturing can affect the mechanical properties of the product because of its anisotropy. In this paper, tensile testing of polymer-based specimens were built with a typical AM process (FDM, PolyJet and SLA) to study the mechanical properties of the AM materials. The ASTM D 638 tensile testing standard was followed for building the specimens. The mechanical properties of the specimens were determined on the basis of stress-strain curves formed by tensile tests. In addition, the fracture surfaces of the specimens were observed by SEM to analyze the results.
Additive Manufacturing(AM);Rapid Prototyping(RP);3D Printing;Fused Deposition Modeling(FDM);PolyJet;Stereolithography Apparatus(SLA);Tensile Testing
Supported by : 산업통상자원부, 한국연구재단
- ASTM F2792-12a, 2012, "Standard Terminology for Additive Manufacturing Technologies," ASTM International.
- Noorani, R. I., 2005, "Rapid Protyping: Principles and Applications," John Wiley & Sons, inc., Los Angeles.
- Manas, D., Manas, M., Stanek, M. and Danek, A., 2008, "Improvement of Plastic Properties," Archives of Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 69-76.
- Mudge, R. P. and Wald, N. R., 2007, "Laser Engineered Net Shaping Advances Additive Manufacturing and Repair," Welding Journal, Vol. 86, No. 1, pp. 44-48
- Gausemeier, J., Echterhoff, N. and Wall, M., 2013, "Thinking Ahead the Future of Additive Manufacturing-Exploring the Research Landscape," University of Paderdorn. pp. 17-35
- Dickerson, K., 2014, "NASA Is Building the World's First 3D-Printed Space Cameras," SPACE.COM, http://www.space.com/26769-first-3d-printed-spacecameras.html
- Boulton, C., 2013, "Printing Out Barbies and Ford Cylinders," The Wass Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, Inc., http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323372504578469560282127852
- Lee, I. H., Oh, S. T., Kim, H. C. and Cho H. Y., 2014, "Development of Hybrid Fused Deposition Modeling System for Three-Dimensional Circuit Device Fabrication," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 8, pp. 869-874. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.8.869
- Kim, H. C. and Yun, H. Y., 2014, "Application of 3D Printing Technology in Nano/Micro Field," Journal of the KSME, Vol.54, No.4, pp. 36-40.
- Ogden, S. and Kessler, S., 2014, "Anisotropic Finite Element Modeling of the Fused Deposition Modeling Process," Characterization of Minerals, Metals, and Materials, pp. 235-243.
- Novakova-Marcincinova, L. and Novak-Marcincin, J., 2013, "Verification of Mechanical Properties of ABS Materials Used in FDM Rapid Prototyping Technology," Proceedings in Manufacturing Systems, Volume 8, Issue 2, ISSN 2067.
- Barclift, M. and Williams, C. B., 2012, "Examining Variability in the Mechanical Properties of Parts Manufactured by Polyjet Direct 3D Printing," in Proceedings of the Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, Austin, TX.
- Quintana, R., J-W Choi, K. Puebla, and R. Wicker, 2010, "Effects of Build Orientation on Tensile Strength for Stereolithography-Manufactured ASTM D-638 Type I Specimens," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 46, No. 1-4, pp. 201-215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2066-z
- Swetly, T., Stampfl, J., Kempf, G. and Hucke, R.-M., 2014, "Capabilities of Additive Manufacturing Technologies (AMT) in the Validation of the Automotive Cockpit," Forum fur Rapid Technologie RTejournal, Vol. 2014, Iss. 1.
- ASTM D 638, 2010, "Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics," ASTM International.
- http://www.stratasys.com/-/media/Main/Secure/System_Spec_SheetsSS/DimensionProductSpecs/Dim1200esSellSheet-INTL-ENG-10-13%20WEB.pdf, Dimension 1200es.
- http://www.wmboundsltd.com/v/vspfiles/Eden250.pdf, Eden2501.
- http://www.ceptech.co.kr/download.php?dnfile=ProJet%206000%207000.pdf&file=../site/files_upload/1941914743539004e0ad709.pdf, ProJet(R) 6000 & 7000 and SL materials.
- http://www.stratasys.com/-/media/Main/Secure/Material%20Specs%20MS/Fortus-Material-Specs/Fortus-MS-ABSplus-01-13-web.pdf, Materials of Dimension 1200es.
- http://www.rapidtech.org/images/pdfs/materials/objetfullcure-835-data-sheet.pdf, Materials of Eden 250.
- Callister, W. D.. Jr. and Rethwisch, D. G., 2007, Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 7th Edition, Wiley, New York, Chapter 6, 8, 14, 15, 16.
- Longmei Li, Q. Sun, C. Bellehumeur1, and P. Gu, 2001, "Composite Modeling and Analysis of FDM Prototypes for Design and Fabrication of Functionally Graded Parts," Solid Freeform Fabrication Symp., Austin, TX, Aug, pp. 1-8.
- West, M., Arbegast, W., Boysen, A. and Parker, E. M., 2010, "Eliminating Voids in FDM Processed Polyphenylsulfone, Polycarbonate, and ULTEM 9085 by Hot Isostatic Pressing," Minerals, Metals and Materials Society/AIME, USA, Feb 14-18.
- A study of post-processing methods for improving the tightness of a part fabricated by fused deposition modeling vol.17, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-016-0180-z