- Volume 31 Issue 7
The residential community becomes one of essential issues for the sustainable urban dwellings which is supporting the human right, their health and their happiness. In this study, the model of stainable apartment community is developed which enables to build the apartment planning fulfilling the residents' diverse needs. The survey researches followed the literature reviews on the sustainable residential environment, the components of apartment community, and SCI(Sense of Community Index). 378 residents lived in four major apartments complexes in Busan answered and their responses were analyzed through statistical process using PASW 18 and AMOS 19.0. Results and conclusions are as follows. (1) The residents who has satisfied with the components of apartment community were intend to have the positive sense of community. The components of all the factors composing the apartment community including the physical, the social and the administrational aspects had significant effect to make an apartment complex a sustainable place. The managerial factor had greater effect than the physical and the social factor on the sustainability of apartment community. (2) Sense of community was identified as a mediating variable that has influenced between the components of apartment community and the substantiality of the apartment community. The modified SCI of this research were verified as a useful measurement for the sustainable apartment community. This study is expected to serve as a practical data to enhance residential environment quality and ultimately establish sustainable environment of apartments.
Sustainable community;Component of community;Sense of community;Structural equation model
- Chavis D. (2008). Sense of Community Index 2. Retrieved March 20, 2011 from http://www.communityscience.com
- Cho, S., & Lee, T. (2011). A Study on Building Sustainable Communities in High-rise and High-density Apartments. Building and Environment, 46, 1428-1435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2011.01.004
- Cho, S. (1996). LISREL Structural Equation Model. Seoul, Youngji, 5-284.
- Choi, Y., & Choe, B. (2004). A Study of Community Formation Plan in Apartment Area. Proceeding of Korea Planners Association, 455-465.
- Choi, Y., & Kong, Y. (2007). The Effects of Site Planning Factors and Residential Dwellers Characteristics on the Sense of Community against Multi-family Attached House. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 23(5), 83-91.
- Chun, H. (2001). A Study on the relationship between the characteristics of the residents and the community to promote livability of community. Housing Studies Review, 9(1), 143-172.
- Jang, D., & Park, S. (2013). A Study on Apartment Residents' Space Use Behavior Responding to Layouts of Outdoor Living Space. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 29(12), 123-130.
- Jee, E., Chun, H., Eun, N., & Che, H. (2014). A Study on a Revitalization Plan for Community Projects of Inhabitants Initiative. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 25(5), 51-61.
- Kang, S. (2013). A Field Survey on Apartment Community Vitalization and Residents' Consciousness of Management. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 29(1), 59-68.
- Kim, D., Jung, E., & Ryu, J. (2005). A Study on the Community-consciousness Depending on the Location Type of the Neighborhood Facility in Apartment Complex. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 16(6), 39-46.
- Kim, J., Mun, B., & Shin, N. (1992). Factor analysis about community consciousness of inhabitants in the Urban Area. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section,8(9), 79-88.
- Kwon, O., Kwak, I., Rhee, K., & Choi, J. (2001). A Study on the Activity Programs ar Community Center for Citizens' Welfare toward New Millennium. Family and Environment Research, 39(8), 19-35.
- Lee, H.(2005). A Comparative Study of Influencing Factors on Sense of Community of the Elderly People in Urbane and Rural Areas. Journal of Korean Society of Welfare for the Aged, 28, 231-254.
- Lee, K. (2008). Effects of Residents' Social Relationship on Housing Mobility Decision-A Case Study of 12 Areas in Seoul, Journal of Korea Planners Association, 43(5), 23-33.
- Lee, R. (2010). A Casual Analysis on the Sense of Community in Apartment Complex. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 26(7), 193-202.
- Lee, R., & Shin, N. (2009). A Study of the Influence of the Physical Structure in the Apartment Complex on Sense of Community, Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 25(3), 235-246.
- Lee, S., Kwon, O., & Ha, H. (2010). A Study on Activating Plans of Resident Participation for Sustainable Environment-Friendly Housing Complex, Proceedings of Korean Housing Association, 2, 339-344.
- McMillan D., & Chavis D. (1986). Sense of community: a Theory and definition. Journal of community psychology, 14, 6-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6629(198601)14:1<6::AID-JCOP2290140103>3.0.CO;2-I
- Park, J.(2014). Study on Management Participation Type per Neighborliness of Housewives Living In Apartments. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 30(2), 211-221.
- Park, J., & Lee, H. (2010). A Study on the Design Elements of Common Space for the Development of the Socially-Integrated Housing. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 26(6), 11-21.
- Park, K. (2010). Establishment of the Social Environment to Active Communities in Apartment Housing. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 21(1), 141-150. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2010.21.1.141
- Shin, H., Lee, J., & Jo, I. (2010). A Study on the Residents'Need of Program for Community Activation. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 21(4), 33-40.