- Volume 16 Issue 2
A continuous type side jet controller which has four nozzles with thrust control devices was considered. It is deployed to a missile for high maneuverability and fast controllability in the terminal guidance phase. However, it causes more complex aerodynamic jet interactions between the side jet and the supersonic free stream than does the conventional impulse type side jet with a small single thruster. In this paper, a numerical investigation of the jet interference effects for the missile equipped with a continuous type side jet thruster is presented. A three-dimensional flow field was simulated by using a commercial unstructured-based CFD solver. The numerical simulation method was validated through comparison with wind tunnel test results for the single jet. The method of defining jet direction for this type of side jet control to minimize simulation cases was also introduced. Flow fields investigation and jet interaction effects for various flow conditions, jet pressure ratios and defined jet direction conditions were performed. From the numerical simulation for the continuous type side jet, extensive aerodynamic interference data were obtained to construct an aerodynamic coefficients database for precise missile control.
Continuous Type Side Jet;CFD;Numerical Simulation;Jet Interaction
- Sourgen, F., Gauthier, T., Leopold, F., Sauerwein, B. and Meuer, R., "Substitution of Hot-Gas Lateral Jets by Cold-Gas Jets in Supersonic Flows", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 48, No. 1, 2011, pp. 81-92. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.50543
- Chamberlain, R., Dang, A., and McClure, D., "Effect of Exhaust Chemistry on Reaction Jet Control", AIAA Paper, 1999, 99-0806.
- Seiler, F., Gnemmi, P., Ende, H., Schwenzer, M. and Meuer, R., "Jet interaction at supersonic cross flow conditions", Shock Waves, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2003, pp. 13-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00193-003-0189-y
- Aswin, G., Chakraborty, D., "Numerical Simulation of Transverse Side Jet Interaction with Supersonic Free Stream", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 14, No. 5, 2010, pp. 295-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2010.02.001
- Chamberlain, R., McClure, D. and Dang, A., "CFD Analysis of Lateral Jet Interaction Phenomena for the THAAD Interceptor", 38th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2000, pp. 10-13.
- Min, B. Y., Lee, J. W. and Byun, Y. H., "Numerical investigation of the shock interaction effect on the lateral jet controlled missile", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 5, 2006, pp. 385-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2005.11.013
- Stahl, B, Esch, H. and Gulhan, A., "Experimental investigation of side jet interaction with a supersonic cross flow", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 12, No. 4, 2008, pp. 269-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2007.01.009
- Kurita, M., Inoue, T. and Nakamura, Y., "Aerodynamic Interaction due to Side jet from a Blunted Cone in Hypersonic Flow", AIAA-4518, 2000.
- Srivastava, B., "Computational Analysis and Validation for Lateral Jet Controlled Missile", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 34, No. 5, 1997, pp. 584-592. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3272
- Gnemmi, P., Adeli, R. and Longo, J., "Computational Comparisons of the Interaction of a Lateral Jet on a Supersonic Generic Missile", AIAA-6833, 2008.
- Champigny, P. and Lacau, R. G., "Lateral Jet Control for Tactical Missiles", AGARD Report 804, 1994, pp. 301-3057.
- Cassel, Louis A., "Applying Jet Interaction Technology", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2003, pp. 523-537. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3992
- Stahl, B., Emunds, H. and Gulhan, A., "Experimental Investigation of Hot and Cold Side Jet Interaction with a Supersonic Crossflow", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 13. No. 8, 2009, pp. 488-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2009.08.002