- Volume 16 Issue 2
The present work performs three-dimensional flow calculations based on Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) and Delayed Detached Eddy Simulation (DDES) to investigate the flow field of a transonic rotor (NASA Rotor 37) at near-stall condition. It is found that the DES approach is likely to predict well the complex flow characteristics such as secondary vortex or turbulent flow phenomenon than RANS approach, which is useful to describe the flow mechanism of a transonic compressor. Especially, the DES results show improvement of predicting the flow field in the wake region and the model captures reasonably well separated regions compared to the RANS model. Besides, it is discovered that the three-dimensional vortical flows after the vortex breakdown from the rotor tip region are widely distributed and its vortex structures are clearly present. Near the rotor leading edge, a part of the tip leakage flows in DES solution spill over into next passage of the blade owing to the separation vortex flow and the backflow is clearly seen around the trailing edge of rotor tip. Furthermore, the DES solution shows strong turbulent eddies especially in the rotor hub, rotor tip section and the downstream of rotor trailing edge compared to the RANS solution.
Transonic Compressor;Stall Inception;Detached Eddy Simulation;Secondary Vortex
- Yamada, K., Kikuta, H., Iwakiri K., Furukawa, M. and Gunjishima, S., "An Explanation for Flow Features of Spike-Type Stall Inception in an Axial Compressor Rotor", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 135, 2013.
- Jeong, J. and Hussain, F., "On the Identification of a Vortex", Journal of Fluid Mechanism, Vol. 285, 1995, pp. 69-94. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112095000462
- Chima, R. V., "Calculation of Tip Clearance Effects in a Transonic Compressor Rotor", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 120, 1998, pp. 131-140. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841374
- Hah, C., Bergner, J. and Schiffer, H. P., "Short Length-Scale Rotating Stall Inception in a Transonic Axial Compressor - Criteria and Mechanisms", ASME Paper, No. GT2006-90045, 2006.
- Yamada, K., Funazaki, K. and Furukawa, M., "The Behavior of Tip Clearance Flow at Near-Stall Condition in a Transonic Axial Compressor Rotor", ASME Paper, No. GT2007-27725, 2007.
- Wu, Y., Li, Q., Tian, J. and Chu, W., "Investigation of Pre-Stall Behavior in an Axial Compressor Rotor-Part I: Unsteadiness of Tip Clearance Flow", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 134, 2012.
- Cameron, J. D., Bennington, M. A., Ross, M. H., Morris, S. C., Du, J., Lin, F. and Chen, J., "The Influence of Tip Clearance Momentum Flux on Stall Inception in a High-Speed Axial Compressor", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 135, 2013.
- Hu, J. F., Zhu, X. C., Ou-Yang, H., Tian, Y. D., Wu, X. Q., Zhao, G. and Du Z. H., "The Unsteadiness of Tip Clearance Flow and its Effect to Stability of Transonic Axial Compressor", Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Vol. 51, No. 2, 2013, pp. 431-438.
- Shi, K., Fu, S. and Morris, S. C., "IDDES Study of the Shock Induced Flow Separation in a Transonic Compressor Rotor at Near Stall Condition", ASME Paper, No. GT2014-27275, 2014.
- Reid, L. and Moore, R. D., "Design and Overall Performance of Four Highly Loaded, High-Speed Inlet Stages for an Advanced, High-Pressure-Ratio Core Compressor", NASA Technical Paper 1337, 1978.
- Dunham, J., "CFD Validation for Propulsion System Components", AGARD Advisory Report 355, 1998.
- Bardina, J. E., Huang, P. G. and Coakley, T. J., "Turbulence Modeling Validation, Testing, and Development", NASA Technical Memorandum 110446, 1997.
- Menter, F. R. and Kuntz, M., "Adaptation of Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Models to Unsteady Separated Flow Behind Vehicles", Proceedings of The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles: Trucks, Busses and Trains, Asilomar, CA, 2002.
- Spalart, P. R., Deck, S., Shur, M. L., Squires, K. D., Strelets, M. Kh. and Travin, A., "A new version of detachededdy simulation, resistant to ambiguous grid densities", Journal of Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2006.
- ANSYS Fluent Theory Guide, ANSYS, Inc., 2013.
- Gu, C., Chen, M., Li, X. and Feng, F., "Application of Delayed Detached Eddy Simulation and RANS to Compressor Cascade Flow", ASME Paper, No. GT2008-50040, 2008.
- Suder, K. L., "Blockage Development in a Transonic, Axial Compressor Rotor", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 120, 1998, pp. 465-476. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841741
- Spalart, P. R., Jou, W-H., Strelets, M. and Allmaras, S. R., "Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach", Proceedings of the First AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES, 1997.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)