- Volume 16 Issue 2
A numerical analysis was conducted to investigate the inlet buzz and combustion oscillation in an axisymmetric ramjet engine with wedge-type flame holders. The physical model of concern includes the entire engine flow path, extending from the leading edge of the inlet center-body through the exhaust nozzle. The theoretical formulation is based on the Farve-averaged conservation equations of mass, momentum, energy, and species concentration, and accommodates finite-rate chemical kinetics and variable thermo-physical properties. Turbulence closure is achieved using a combined scheme comprising of a low-Reynolds number k-
Ramjet Engine;Inlet Buzz;Combustion Oscillation;Compressible Turbulence Model
- H. Mirels, Acoustic Analysis of Ram-Jet Buzz, NACA TM, N0. 3574-1140, 1955
- R. L. Trimpi, A Theory for Stability and Buzz Pulsation Amplitude in Ram Jets and an Experimental Investigation Scale Effects, NACA Rept. 1256, 1953
- J. T. Slimon, T. J. Bogar, and M., Sajben, "Laser Doppler Velocimeter Measurements in Unsteady, Separated, Transonic Diffuser Flows", AIAA Journal, Vol. 21, Dec. 1983, pp. 1690-1697 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.8311
- M. Sajben, T. J. Bogar, and J. C. Kroutil, "Forced Oscillation Experiments in Supercritical Diffuser Flows", AIAA Journal, Vol. 22, Apr. 1984, pp. 465- 474. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.8423
- T. J. Bogar, M. Sajben, and J. C. Kroutil, "Response of Supersonic Inlet to Downstream Perturbations", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 1, Mar.-Apr. 1985, pp. 118-125. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.22768
- B. F. Magnussen, and B. H. Hjertager, "On Mathematical Modeling of Turbulent Combustion with Special Emphasis on Soot Formulation and Combustion," 16th Int'l Symposium on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 1976, pp. 719-729.
- Z. Yang, and T. H., Shih, "New Time Scale Based Model for Near-Wall Turbulence," AIAA Journal, Vol. 31, No. 7, 1993, pp. 1191-1197. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.11752
- S. Sarkar, B. Erlebacher, M. Hussaini, and H. Kreiss, "The Analysis and Modeling of Dilatational Terms in Compressible Turbulence," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 227, 1991, pp. 473-493. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112091000204
- S. Sarkar, "Modeling the Pressure-Dilatation Correlation," ICASE, Rept. 91-42, May 1991
- S. Dash, and D. C. Kenzakowski, "A Compressible-Dissipation Extension of the k-Epsilon Turbulence Model and Building-Block Data for its Validation," AIAA and SDIO, Annual Interceptor Technology Conference, Huntsville, AL, May 19-21, 1992
- D. C. Wilcox, Effects of Compressibility, Chap. 5 of Turbulence Modeling for CFD, 2nd Ed., DCW Industries Inc., 1998
- K. H. Kim, C. A. Kim, and O. H. Rho, "Methods for the Accurate Computations of Hypersonic Flows," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 174, No. 1, 2001, pp. 38-80. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2001.6873
- T. Nagashima, T. Obokato, and T. Asanuma, Experiment of Supersonic Air Intake Buzz, Institute of Space and Aeronautical Science, University of Tokyo, Japan, Rept. 481, May 1972.
- V. Yang, and F. E. C. Culick, "Analysis of Low Frequency Combustion Instabilities in a Laboratory Dump Combustor", Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 45, 1986, pp. 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/00102208608923839
- J. E. Crump, K. C. Schadow, F. E. C. Culick, and V. Yang, "Longitudinal Combustion Instabilities in Ramjet Engines: Identification of Acoustic Modes", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 2, 1986, pp. 105-109. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.22852
- R. W. Newsome, "Numerical Simulation of Near-Critical and Unsteady, Subcritical Inlet Flow", AIAA Journal, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1984, pp. 1375-1379. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.48577
- P. J. Lu, and L. T. Jain, "Numerical Investigation of Inlet Buzz Flow", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1998, pp. 90-100. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.5254
- J. Y. Oh, F. H. Ma, S. Y. Hsieh, and V. Yang, "Interactions between Shock and Acoustic Waves in a Supersonic Inlet Diffuser", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 21, 2005, pp. 486-495. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.9671
- S. Y. Hsieh and V. Yang, "A Unified analysis of Unsteady Flow Structures in a Supersonic Ramjet Engine", Proceedings of International Colloquium on Advanced Computation and Analysis of Combustion, Moscow, Russia, 1998.
- H.-G. Sung and V. Yang, "Unified Analysis of Internal Flowfield in an Integrated Rocket Ramjet Engine, I: Transition from Rocket Booster to Ramjet Sustainer", Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2014, pp. 390-397. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000255
- J. G. Bemdot, A. E. Heins, and T. G. Piercy, Ramjet Air Induction System For Tactical Missile Application, AGARDLS-136, 1984, pp. 2.1-49.
- T. Hsieh, T. J. Bogar, and T. J. Coakley, "Numerical Simulation and Comparison with Experiment for Self-Excited Oscillations in a Diffuser Flow", AIAA Journal, Vol. 25 No. 7, 1987, pp. 936-943. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.9725
- H.-G. Sung and V. Yang, "Unified Analysis of Internal Flowfield in an Integrated Rocket Ramjet Engine, II: Ramjet Sustainer", Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2014, pp. 398-403. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000256
- K. Oswaititsch, Pressure Recovery for Missiles with Reaction Propulsion at High Supersonic Speeds, NACA TM-1140, Jun. 1947.
- A. Ferri, and R.M. Nucci, The Origin of Aerodynamic Instability of Supersonic Inlets at Subcritical Conditions, NACA RM-L50K30, Jan. 1951.
- C. L. Daily, "Supersonic Diffuser Instability," Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 11, Nov. 1955, pp. 733-749. https://doi.org/10.2514/8.3452
- V. Yang, and F. E. C. Culick, "Analysis of Unsteady Inviscid Diffuser Flow with Shock Wave", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 1, 1985, pp. 222-228. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.22784
- H. W. Yeom, S. Yoon, and H. G. Sung, "Flow Dynamics at the Minimum Starting Condition of a Supersonic Diffuser to Simulate a Rocket's High Altitude Performance on the Ground," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2009, pp. 254-261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-1007-3
- J. Y. Heo, and H. G. Sung, "Fluidics Thrust Vector Control of Supersonic Jet Using Co-flow Injection," Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2012, pp. 858-861. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.B34266
- J. Lee, and D. Fricker, "A Numerical Study of Reacting Flow inside Combustors using a Two-equation model of Turbulence and an Eddy-dissipation Model of Turbulent Chemistry," Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 35th, Reno, NV, Jan. 6-9, 1997.
- H.-G. Sung, H. W. Yeom, S. Yoon, and, J. Kim, "Investigation of Rocket Exhaust Diffusers for Altitude Simulation," Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 240-247, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.46226