- Volume 16 Issue 2
This work uses different finite element approaches to the free vibration analysis of reinforced shell structures, and a simplified model of a typical launcher with two boosters is used as an example. The results obtained using a refined one-dimensional (1D) beam model are compared to those obtained with commercial finite element software. The 1D models that are used in the present work are based on the Carrera Unified Formulation (CUF), which assumes a variable kinematic displacement field over the cross-sections of the beam. Two different sets of polynomials that correspond to Taylor (TE) or Lagrange (LE) expansions were used. The analyses focused on three reinforced structures: a stiffened panel, a reinforced cylinder and the complete structure of the launcher. The frequencies and natural modes obtained using one-dimensional models are compared to those obtained from classical finite element analysis. The classical FE models were built using a beam-shell or solid elements, and the results indicate that the refined beam models can in fact be used to investigate the behavior of very complex reinforced structures. These models can predict the shell-like modes that are typical of thin-walled structures that cannot be detected using classical beam models. The refined 1D models used in the present work provide results that are as accurate as those from solid FE models, but the 1D models have a much lower computational cost.
Launchers Analysis;CUF;Structural Dynamics;Refined Beam Models
- Thornton, E.A., Vibration analysis of a 1/15 scale dynamic model of a space shuttle configuration, NASA CR-111984, 1971.
- Urgueira, A.P.V., Dynamic analysis of coupled structures using experimental data, University of London, 1989.
- Friswell, M. and Mottershead, J.E., Finite Element Model Updating in Structural Dynamics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- Buehrle, R.D., Fleming, G.A. and Pappa, R.S., "Finite element model development and validation for aircraft fuselage structures". 18th International Modal Analysis Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2000.
- Hu, H., Wang, Y. and Lu, W., "Structural dynamic analysis of a sounding rocket during the liftoff", Journal of Aeronautics, Astronautics ans Aviation, Vol.41, No.2, 2009, pp.111-120.
- De Vivo, A., Brutti, C. and Leofanti, J.L., "Modal shape identification of large structure exposed towind excitation by operational modal analysis technique", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol.39, 2013, pp.195-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2013.03.025
- Fransen, S., Rixen, D., Henricksen, T. and Bonnet, M., "On the operational modal analysis of solid rocket motors", In: Proceedings of the 28th International Modal Analysis Conference, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, February 1-4, 2010.
- Isik, S.K., Ider, C. and Acar, B., "Modeling and verification of a missile launcher system", Journal of Multibody Dynamics, Vol. 228, 2014, pp. 100-107.
- Carrera, E., "A class of two dimensional theories for multilayered plates analysis". Atti Accademia delle Scienze di Torino, Memorie Scienze Fisiche, Vol. 19-20, 1995, pp. 49-87.
- Carrera, E., "Theories and finite elements for multilayered, anisotropic, composite plates and shells", Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, Vol.9, No. 2, 2002, pp.87-140. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02736649
- Carrera, E., "Theories and finite elements for multilayered plates and shells: a unified compact formulation with numerical assessment and benchmarking", Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, Vol.10, No.3, 2003, pp. 216-296.
- Carrera, E. and Giunta, G., "Refined beam theories based on a unified formulation", International Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2010, pp.117-143. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1758825110000500
- Craig, R.R. and Bampton, M.C.C., "Coupling of substructures for dynamic analysis" AIAA Journal, Vol.6, No.7, 1968, pp.1313-1319. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.4741
- Grimes, P.J., McTigue, L.D., Riley, G.F. and Tilden, D.I., Advancements in structural dynamic technology resulting from Saturn V programs, NASA CR-1539, June 1970.
- Benfield, W.A. and Hruda, R.F. "Vibration analysis of structures by component mode substitution", AIAA Journal, Vol. 9, No.7, 1971, pp.1255-1261. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.49936
- Goldenberg, S. and Shapiro, M., A study of modal coupling procedures for the space shuttle, NASACR-112252, 1973.
- Agrawal, B.N., "Mode synthesis technique for dynamic analysis of structures", The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.59, 1976, pp.1329-1338. DOI:10.1121/1.381019. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.381019
- Przemieniecki, J.S., "Matrix structural analysis of substructures", AIAA Journal, Vol. 1, No.1, 1963, pp.138-147. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.1483
- Hurty,W.C., "Dynamic analysis of structural systems using component modes", AIAA Journal, Vol. 3, No.4, 1965, pp. 678-685. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.2947
- Carrera, E., Petrolo, M. and Zappino, E., "Performance of CUF approach to analyze the structural behavior of slender bodies", Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.138, No. 2, 2012, pp. 285-297. DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000402. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000402
- Carrera, E., Petrolo, M. and Nali, P., "Unified formulation applied to free vibrations finite element analysis of beams with arbitrary section", Shock and Vibrations, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2011, pp. 485-502. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/706541
- Carrera, E., Pagani, A. and Petrolo, M., "Classical, refined and component-wise analysis of reinforced-shell structures", AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 5, 2013, pp. 1255-1268. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J052331
- Carrera, E., Pagani, A. and Petrolo, M., "Componentwise method applied to vibration of wing structures", Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 88, No. 4, 2013, pp. 041012.1-041012.15.
- Carrera, E., Pagani, A. and Petrolo, M., "Classical, refined, and component-wise analysis of reinforced-shell wing structures". AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 5, 2013, pp. 1255-1268. DOI:10.2514/1.J052331. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J052331
- Carrera, E., Gaetano, G. and Petrolo M., Beam Structures, Classical and Advanced Theories, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Carrera, E., Cinefra, M., Petrolo, M. and Zappino, E., Finite Element Analysis of Structures Through Unified Formulation, John Wiley & Sons, 2014.
- Carrera, E., Giunta, G., Nali, P. and Petrolo, M., "Refined beam elements with arbitrary cross-section geometries", Computers & Structures, Vol.88. No.5-6, 2010, pp.283-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2009.11.002
- Wempner, G. A. and Wilms, E.V., Multi-rail launcher with six degrees of freedom, University of Alabama Research Institute, 1966.
- Free Vibration Analysis of Beam-Type Structures Based on Novel Reduced-Order Model vol.55, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J055763
- Effect of Solid Mass Consumption on the Free-Vibration Analysis of Launchers vol.54, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A33650
- Effect of Localized Damages on the Free Vibration Analysis of Civil Structures by Component-Wise Approach vol.144, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002128