- Volume 16 Issue 2
In this study, numerical simulations are carried out to investigate the dynamic SGS model effects in a Kerosene-LOx coaxial swirl injector under high pressure conditions. The turbulent model is based on large-eddy simulation (LES) with real-fluid transport and thermodynamics. To assess the effect of the dynamic subgrid-scale (SGS) model, the dynamic SGS model is compared with that of the algebraic SGS model. In a swirl injector under supercritical pressure, the characteristics of temporal pressure fluctuation and power spectral density (PSD) present comparable discrepancies dependant on the SGS models, which affect the mixing characteristics. Mixing efficiency and the probability density (PDF) function are conducted for a statistical description of the turbulent flow fields according to the SGS models. The back-scattering of turbulent kinetic energy is estimated in terms of the film thickness of the swirl injector.
Swirl Injector;LES(Large-Eddy Simulation);Supercritical Condition;Dynamic Sub-grid Scale Model
- Lilly, D. K., "On the application of the eddy viscosity concept in the inertial subrange of turbulence", National Center for Atmospheric Research, Manuscript 123, 1966.
- Lilly, D. K., "The representation of small-scale turbulence in numerical simulations", Proc. IBM Scientific Computing Symp. on Environmental Sciences, Yorktown Heights, NY, 1967, pp. 195-210.
- M. Germano, U. Piomelli, P. Moin, W.H. Cabot, "A dynamic subgrid-scale eddy viscosity model", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 3, 1991, pp. 1760-1765. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.857955
- F. A. Jaberri, and P. J. Coucci, "Large eddy simulation of heat and mass transport in turbulent flows. Part 1: velocity field", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, 2003, pp. 1811-1825. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(02)00484-2
- A. Jammalamadaka, Z. Li, F. A. Jaberi, "Subgrid-scale models for large-eddy simulations of shock-boundary-layer interactions", AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 5, 2013, pp. 1174-1188. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J051955
- J. O'Brien, J. Urzay, M. Ihme, P. Moin, A. Saghafian, "Subgrid-scale backscatter in reacting and inert supersonic hydrogen-air turbulent mixing layers", J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 743, 2014, pp. 554-584. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2014.62
- D. K. Lilly, "A proposed modification of the Germano subgrid-scale closure method", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 4, 1992, pp. 633-635. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.858280
- Soave, G., "Equilibrium Constants from a Modified Redlich-Kwong Equation of State", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 27, No. 6, June, 1972, pp.1197-1203 https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(72)80096-4
- Peng, D. and Robinson D. B., "A New Two-Constant Equation of State", Industry Engineering Chemical Fundamentals, Vol. 15, No. 1, February 1976, pp.59-64 https://doi.org/10.1021/i160057a011
- M. Cismondi, and J. Mollerup, "Development and application of a three-parameter RK-PR equation of state", Fluid Phase Equilibria, Vol. 232, 2005, pp. 74-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fluid.2005.03.020
- S. K. Kim, H. S. Choi, and Y. M. Kim, "Thermodynamic Modeling Based on a Generalized Cubic Equation of State for Kerosene/LOx Rocket Combustion", Combustion and Flame, Vol. 159, Issue 3, 2012, pp. 1351-1365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2011.10.008
- J. Y. Heo, Numerical Study on Supercritical Mixing and Combustion Characteristics of a Kerosene/LOx Co-axial Swirl Injector, Ph.D. Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, 2015.
- T. Chung, M. Ajlan, L.L. Lee, and K.E. Starling, "Generalized multiparameter correlation for nonpolar and polar fluid transport properties", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 27, 1988, pp. 671-679. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00076a024
- Wang, Y. Z., Hua, Y. X. and Meng, H., "Numerical Studies of Supercritical Turbulent Convective Heat Transfer of Cryogenic Propellant Methane", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2010, pp. 490-500. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.46769
- S. Takahashi, "Preparation of a generalized chart for the di_usion coe_cients of gases at high pressures", Japanese J. of Chem. Eng., Vol. 7, No. 6, 1974, pp. 417-420.
- H. Meng, and V. Yang, "A Unified Treatment of General Fluid Thermodynamics and Its Application to a Preconditioning Scheme", J. Computational Physics, Vol. 189, No. 1, 2003, pp. 277-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9991(03)00211-0
- V. Yang, "Modeling of supercritical vaporization, mixing, and combustion processes in liquid-fueled propulsion systems", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 28, 2000, pp. 925-942. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0082-0784(00)80299-4
- J.C. Oefelein, "Thermophysical characteristics of shear coaxial LOx-H2 flames at supercritical pressure", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 30, 2005, pp. 2929-2937. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2004.08.212
- Zong, N. and Yang, V., "Cryogenic Fluid Dynamics of Pressure Swirl Injectors at Supercritical Conditions", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 20, No. 5, 2008, 056103-1-14. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2905287
- M.G.D. Giorgi, A. Leuzzi, "CFD simulation of mixing and combustion in LOx/CH4 spray under supercritical conditions", 39th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, No. 2009-4038, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 2009.
- K. H. Yoo, J. C. Kim, and H. G. Sung, "Effects of Cooling Flow on the Flow Structure and Acoustic Oscillation in a Swirl-stabilized Combustor, Part I. Flow Characteristics", J. Visualization, Vol. 16, 2013, pp. 287-295. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12650-013-0177-y
- H. G. Sung, K. H. Yoo, and J. C. Kim, "Effects of Cooling Flow on the Flow Structure and Acoustic Oscillation in a Swirl-stabilized Combustor, Part II. Acoustic Analysis", J. Visualization, Vol. 17, 2014, pp. 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12650-013-0193-y
- H. S. Choi, "Technical Report", Korea Aerospace Research Institute, 2010.
- N. Zong, Modeling and Simulation of Cryogenic Fluid Injection and Mixing Dynamics Under Supercritical Conditions, Ph.D. Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, 2005.
- J. C. Kim, K. H. Yoo, and H. G. Sung, "Large-eddy Simulation and Acoustic Analysis of a Turbulent Flow Field in a Swirl-stabilized Combustor", J. Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, 2011, pp. 2703-2710. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0741-0
- Geometric Effects on Liquid Oxygen/Kerosene Bi-Swirl Injector Flow Dynamics at Supercritical Conditions vol.55, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J055952
- Analysis of Characteristics of Swirling Spray of the Ammonium Dinitramide (ADN)-Based Green Monopropellant pp.2093-2480, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0085-4
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)