- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of the Shells and Calcined Powders from the Butter Clam Saxidomus purpuratus and Littleneck Clam Ruditapes philippinarum as a Natural Calcium Resource
천연칼슘소재로서 개조개(Saxidomus purpuratus)와 바지락(Ruditapes philippinarum) 패각 및 소성분말의 특성
Kim, Jin-Soo;Jung, Nam Young;Soo Jang, Jeong;Lee, Hyun Ji;Park, Sung Hwan;Kim, Min Joo;Heu, Min Soo
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Shell waste from the butter clam Saxidomus purpuratus and littleneck clam Ruditapes philippinarum is a large by-product of shellfish aquaculture, and it is desirable to convert it into value-added products for industrial applications. In this study, calcium carbonate (CaC) polymorphs from butter clam (BCSP) and littleneck clam (LCSP) shell powders and commercial CaC were characterized using Fourier transmission infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The results revealed that the optimal calcination conditions to eliminate organic substances and improve solubility for both BCSP and LCSP were
Saxidomus purpuratus;Ruditapes philippinarum;Shell powder;Calcined powder;XRD
- Bugallo PM, Andrad LC, Iglesias AM and Loqez RT. 2013. Integrated environmental permit through best available techniques: evaluation of the fish and seafood canning industry. J Clean Pod 47, 253-264. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.12.022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.12.022
- Cho ML, Heu MS and Kim JS. 2001a. Food component cahrcateristics of cuttle bone as a mineral source. J Korean Fish Soc 34, 478-482.
- Cho ML, Heu MS and Kim JS. 2001b. Study on pretreatment methods for calcium extraction from cuttle bone. J Korean Fish Soc 34, 483-487.
Dennis JS and Pacciani R. 2009. The rate and extent of uptake of
$CO_2$by a synthetic CaO-containing sorbent. Chem Eng Sci 64, 2147-2157. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2009.01.051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2009.01.051
- Fang QH, Song B, Tee TT, Sin LT, Hui D and Bee ST. 2014. Investigation of dynamic characteristics of nano-size calcium carbonate added in natural rubber vulcanizate. Composites Part B 60, 561-567. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb. 2014.01.010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.01.010
- Furuhashi T, Schwarzinger C, Miksik I, Smrz M and Beran A. 2009. Molluscan shell evolution with review of shell calcification hypothesis. Comp Biochem Physiol B 154, 351-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2009.07.011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2009.07.011
- Go CH, Song HS, Yun J and Kwak JP. 2002. Fabrication of calcium phosphates from starfish. J Adv Mater 14, 71-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4095(20020104)14:1<71::AID-ADMA71>3.0.CO;2-W
- Han JS, Lee MH, Kim MS and Minamide T. 2000. The study for utilization of pork bone as calcium reinforcement diet. J East Asian Coc Dietary Life 10, 153-159.
- Islam KN, Bakar MZBA, Ali ME, Hussein MZB, Noordin MM, Loqman MY, Miah G, Wahid H and Hashim U. 2013. A novel method for the synthesis of calcium carbonate (aragonite) nanoparticles from cockle shells. Powder Technol 235, 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2012.09.041
- Islam KN, Bakar MZBA, Noordin MM, Hussein MZB, Rahman NSBA and Ali ME. 2011. Characterisation of calcium carbonate and its polymorphs from cockle shells (Anadara granosa). Powder Technol 213, 188-191. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2011.07.031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2011.07.031
- Kang JH, Kim JH and Lee HC. 1996. A study on the develop-ment of manufacturing process of high grade precipitated calcium carbonate from oyster shell. J Korean Solid Wastes Eng Soc 13, 320-327.
- Abd-Elhady M. 2014. Effect of citric acid, calcium lactate and low temperature profreezing treatment on the quality of frozen strawberry. Ann Agric Sci 59, 69-75.
- Anthony JE, Hadgis PN, Milam RS, Herzfeld GA, Taper LJ and Ritchey J. 1983. Yields, proximate composition and mineral content of fish shellfish. J Food Sci 42, 313-314.
- Kang MS, Soh GS and Shin DH. 2005. Purity improvement of calcium lactate and calcium citrate prepared with shell of Anadarac tegillarca granosa. J Food Hyg Safety 20, 128-133.
- Keiko S, Tomohiko Y and Masami T. 2002. Synthesis of aragonite from calcined scallop shell at ambient temperatures and their morphological characterization by FE-SEM. J MMIJ 118, 553-558. https://doi.org/10.2473/shigentosozai.118.553
- Okano T, Tsugawa N, Higashino R, Kobayashi T, Igarashi C and Ezawa I. 1991. Effect of bovine bone powder and calcium carbonate as a dietaty calcium source on plasma and bone calcium metabolism in rats. J Japan Soc Nutr Food Sci 44, 479-485. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.44.479
- Oliveira DA, Benelli P and Amante ER. 2013. A literature review on adding value to solid residues: egg shells. J Clean Prod 46, 42-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.09.045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.09.045
- Onoda H and Nakanishi H. 2012. Preparation of calcium phosphate with oyster shells. Nat Resour 3, 71-74.
- Preising D, Haid D, Varum FJO, Bravo R, Alles R, Huwyler J and Puchkov M. 2014. Drug loading into porous calcium carbonate microparticles by solvent evaporation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 87, 548-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2014.02.009
- Seco N, Fernandez-Sanjurjo MJ, Nunez-Delgado A and Alvarez E. 2014. Spreading of mixtures including wastes from the mussel shell treatment industry on an acid soil: effects on the dissolved aluminum species and on pasture production. J Clean Prod 70, 154-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.02.038
- Suteu D, Bilba D, Aflori M, Doroftel F, Lisa G, Badeanu M and Malutan T. 2012. The seashell wastes as biosorbent for reactive dye removal from textile effluents. Clean-Soil, Air, Water 40, 198-205. https://doi.org/10.1002/clen.201100138
- Shin HS and Kim KH. 1997. Preparation of calcium powder from eggshell and use of organic acids for enhancement of calcium ionization. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 40, 531-535.
- Shin HS, Kim KH and Yoon JR. 1998. Rheological properties of cooked noodle fortifide with organic acid-deeshell calcium salts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30, 1197-1202.
- Statistics Korea. Fishery Production Survey 2015. Retrieved from http://www.index.go.kr/potal. on Jan 26, 2015.
- Yoo S, Hsieh JS, Zou P and Kokoszka J. 2009. Utilization of calcium carbonate particles from eggshell waste as coating pigments for ink-jet pronting paper. Bio-resour Technol 100, 6416-6421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.06.112
- Zhao J and Song K. 1997. Preparation of calcium lactate from egg shells. Modern Chem Ind 17, 31-33.
- Kim JS, Cho ML and Heu MS. 2000b. Preparation of calcium powder from cooking skipjack tuna bone and its characteristics. J Korean Fish Soc 33, 158-163.
- Kim JS, Cho ML and Heu MS. 2003b. Functional properties of calcium powder of cuttle bone treated with acetic acid. J Kor Fish Soc 36, 74-80.
- Kim JS, Cho ML, Heu MS, Cho TJ and An HJ. 2003a. Solubility improvement of cuttle bone powder using organic acids. J Kor Fish Soc 36, 11-17.
- Kim JS, Choi JD and Kim DS. 1998. Preparation of calcium based powder from fish bone and its characteristics. Agric Chem Biotechnol 41, 147-152.
- Kim JS, Yang SK and Heu MS. 2000a. Component characteristics of cooking tuna bone as a food resource. J Korean Fish Soc 33, 38-42.
- Kim SD, Ki MK, Kang MS, Lee YK and Kim DS. 2000c. Effect of ark shell powder on the fermentation and quality of kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 9, 280-284
- Ko MK and No HK. 2002a. Preparation of calcium lactate from ostrich egg shell. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31, 241-245. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.241
- Ko MK and No HK. 2002b. Studies on characteristics of ostrich egg shell and optimal ashing conditions for preparation of calcium lactate. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31, 236-240. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.236
- Kwon YT, Lee CW and Yun JH. 2009. Development of vermicast from sludge and powdered oyster shell. J Clean Prod 17, 708-711. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2008.11.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2008.11.014
- Lee YK and Kim SD. 2003. Preparation and characteristics of calcium lactate from black snail. J Food Sci Nutr 8, 166-172.
- Lee MY, Lee YK and Kim SD. 2004. Quality characteristics of calcium acetate prepared with vinegars and ash of black snail. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33, 593-597. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.3.593
Lu HP, Smirniotis G, Ernst FO and Pratsinis SE. 2009. Nanostructured Ca-based sorbents with high
$CO_2$uptake efficiency. Chem Eng Sci 64, 1936-1943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2008.12.038
- Lu J, Lu Z, Li X, Xu H and Li X. 2015. Recycling of shell wastes into nano sized calcium carbonate powders with different phase compositions. J Cleaner Prod 20, in press.
- Manoli F and Dalas E. 2000. Spontaneous precipitation of calcium carbonate in the presence of ethanol, isopropanol and diethylene glycol. J Cryst Growth 218, 359-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0248(00)00560-1
- Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries. 2014. Yearbook of marine resource. Retrieved from http://www.mof.go.kr/article/on Jan. 26, 2015.
- Mohamed M, Yusup S and Maitra S. 2012. Decomposition study of calcium carbonate in cockle shell. J Eng Sci Technol 7, 1-10.
- Kim HJ and Zhang CI. 1999. A population ecological study of short-necked clam, Tapes philippinarum in the adjacent water of jinhae. J Korean Soc Fish Res 2, 32-43.
- Kim HS, Lee MY and Lee SC. 2000. Characteristics of sepiae os as a calcium source. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29, 743-746.
- Characterization of Calcium Lactate Prepared from Butter Clam Saxidomus purpuratus Shell Powder vol.49, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0301