- Volume 48 Issue 2
Broadband echoes measured in live chub mackerel Scomber japonicus, goldeye rockfish Sebastes thompsoni, and fat greenling Hexagrammos otakii with different morphologies and internal characteristics were analyzed in time and frequency domains to understand the species-specific echo feature characteristics for classifying fish species. The mean echo image for each time-frequency representation dataset obtained as a function of orientation angle was extracted to mitigate the effect of fish orientation on acoustic scattering. The joint time-frequency content of the broadband echo signals was obtained using the smoothed pseudo-Wigner-Ville distribution (SPWVD). The SPWVDs were analyzed for each echo signature of the three fish species. The results show that the time-frequency analysis provided species-specific echo structure patterns and metrics of the broadband acoustic signals to facilitate fish species classification.
Time-frequency analysis;Spectrogram;SPWVD;Broadband acoustic scattering;Echo signature
- Blaska J and Sedlacek M. 2001. Use of the intergral transforms for estimation of instantaneous frequency. Measur Sci Rev 1, 169-172.
- Clay CS and Horne JK. 1994. Acoustic models of fish: The Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). J Acoust Soc Am 96, 1161-1668.
- Costa J, Ortigueira M, Batista A and Paiva T. 2012. Slip spindles detection: a mixed method using STFT and WMSD. Intern J Bioelectrom 14, 229-233.
- Dong Y and Cui Y. 2012. Analysis of a new joint time-frequency distribution of suppressing cross-term. Res J Appl Sci Eng Technol 4, 1580-1584.
- Fassler SMM, Fernandes PG, Semple SIK and Brierley AS. 2009. Depthe-dependent swimbladder compression in herring Clupea haengus obserbed using magnetic resonance imaging. J Fish Bio 74, 296-303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2008.02130.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2008.02130.x
- Foote KG. 1980. Importance of the swimbladder in acoustic scattering by fish: A comparison of gadoid and mackerel target strengths. J Acoust Soc Am 67, 2084-2089. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.384452
- Gavrovska AM, Paskas MP and Reljin IS. 2010. Determination of morphologically characteristics PCG segments from spectrogram image. Teflor J 2, 74-77.
- Han SK and Kim HT. 2010. Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis. Progress Electrom Res 108, 131-141. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER10071601
- Imberger J and Boashash B. 1986. Application of the Wigner-Ville distribution to temperature gradient microstructure: A new technique to study small-scale variations. J Physic Oceanography 16, 1997-2012. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1986)016<1997:AOTWDT>2.0.CO;2
- Jaffe JS. 2006. Using multi-angle scattered sound to size fish swimbladders. ICES J Mar Sci 63, 1397-1404. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2006.04.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2006.04.024
- Lee DJ, Kang HY and Kwak MS. 2015. Analysis and classification of broadband acoustic echoes from individual live fish using the pulse compression technique. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 48, 207-220. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0207. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0207
- McClellan JH, Schafer RW and Yoder MA. 1998. DSP FIRST: A Multimedia Approach. Prentice Hall, NJ, USA, 349-368.
- Nesse TL, Hobek H and Korneliussen RJ. 2009. Measurement of acoustic-scattering spectra from the whole and pars of Atlantic mackerel. ICES J Mar Sci 66, 1169-1175. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1093/icesjms/fsp087. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp087
- Rihaczek AW. 1968. Signal energy distribution in time and frequency. IEEE Trans Inform Theory IT-14, 369-374.
- Safizadeh MS, Lepine A, Forsyth DS and Fahr A. 2001. Time-frequency analysis of pulsed eddy current signals. J Nondestruct Evaluat 20, 73-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1012244208475. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012244208475
- Schilling RJ and Harris SL. 2000. Applied Numerical Methods for Engineering. Brooks/Cole, CA, USA, 497-500.
- Shui PL, Shang HY and Zhao YB. 2007. Instantaneous frequency estimation based on directionally smoothed pseudo-Wegner-Ville distribution bank. IET Radar Sonar Navig 1, 317-325. http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/rsn:20060123. https://doi.org/10.1049/rsn:20060123
- Stanton TK, Chu D, Jech JM and Irish JD. 2010. New broadband methods for resonance classification and high-resolution imagery of fish with swimbladders using a modified commercial broadband echosounder. ICES J Mar Sci 67, 365-378. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp262. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp262
- Traykovski LVM, O'Driscoll RL and McGehee DE. 1998. Effect of orientation on broadband acoustic scattering of Atlantic krill Euphausia superb: Implications for inverting zooplankton spectral acoustic signatures for angle of orientation. J Acoust Soc Am 104, 2121-2135. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.423726
- Acoustic Identification of Six Fish Species using an Artificial Neural Network vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0221
- Time-Frequency Feature Extraction of Broadband Echo Signals from Individual Live Fish for Species Identification vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0221
- Age and Growth of the Goldeyes Rockfish Sebasetes thompsoni in the Ulleungdo and Dokdo Areas vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0221
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단