- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Characteristics and Sensory Properties of Commercial Mukeunji Products
국내 시판 묵은지의 이화학적 및 관능적 특성
- Hur, Sung-Won (Department of Nutritional Science & Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Ko, Myeung-Sin (Department of Nutritional Science & Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Ran (Department of Nutritional Science & Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Ran (Department of Food & Nutrition, Baewha Women's University) ;
- Chung, Seo-Jin (Department of Nutritional Science & Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Cho, Mi-Sook (Department of Nutritional Science & Food Management, Ewha Womans University)
- 허성원 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 고명신 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김미란 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이혜란 (배화여자대학교 식품영양과) ;
- 정서진 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 조미숙 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2014.12.24
- Accepted : 2015.01.23
- Published : 2015.05.31
The aim of this study was to investigate the physicochemical characteristics of commercial Mukeunji product along with its sensory properties. Six different types of commercial Mukeunji products were purchased through an on-line market, and each product had a different fermentation period. General commercial Baechu Kimchi was compared with commercial Mukeunji products in order to standardize quality properties of Mukeunji. As a result, commercial Mukeunji showed a lower pH value (pH 3.96, mean value) than commercial Baechu Kimchi (pH 5.92), whereas commercial Mukeunji samples showed higher acidity and salinity. Color values (L, a, and b) of commercial Mukeunji decreased as the storage period increased. Hardness and thickness of commercial Mukeunji showed a lower range compared to Baechu Kimchi. The reducing sugar content decreased as the storage period of commercial Mukeunji increased. Acetic, lactic, and succinic acids were detected in commercial Mukeunji samples, whereas citric acid and malic acid were additionally detected in Baechu Kimchi. Commercial Mukeunji samples showed lower contents of acetic and succinic acid and higher content of lactic acid than Baechu Kimchi. Commercial Mukeunji samples showed a significant difference in all descriptive sensory attributes except for bitterness. Overall intensity, sourness, moldy odor, redness, sour smell, saltiness, and carbonated taste increased as the storage period increased, whereas cabbage flavor, crispiness, sweetness, firmness, and savory taste decreased as the storage period increased.
- Kim JY, Park EY, Kim YS. 2006. Characterization of volatile compounds in low-temperature and long-term fermented Baechu kimchi. Korean J Food Culture 21: 319-324.
- Hwang IG, Kim HY, Hwang Y, Jeong HS, Lee JS, Kim HY, Yoo SM. 2012. Changes in quality characteristics of Kimchi added with the fresh red pepper (Capsicum Annuum L.). Korean J Food Cookery Sci 28: 167-174. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.2.167
- Kang SK, Park WS, Choi TD. 1995. A profitable enterprise and management of Kimchi. The Farmers Newspaper, Seoul, Korea. p 19-25.
- Kim HJ, Shin HK, Yang EJ. 2013. Production and fermentation characteristics of mukeunji with a mixed starter. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1467-1474. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.9.1467
- Park WS. 2008. Sprit of the Korean race. Korea Food Research Institute, Seoul, Korea. p 19-24.
- Jung HJ, Kim HR, Yoo MJ. 2005. Changes in texture and sensory properties of low-temperature and long-term fermented Baechu kimchi during the fermentation. Korean J Food Culture 20: 426-432.
- Yoo MJ, Kim HR, Chung HJ. 2001. Changes in physicochemical and microbiological properties in low-temperature and long-term fermented kimchi during fermentation. Korean J Dietary Culture 16: 431-441.
- Lee Y. 2009. Quality and microbiological characteristics of commercial long-term fermented Baechu Kimchi. MS Thesis. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Yoo MJ. 2002. Quality properties of the low temperature and long-term fermented Kimchi during fermentation. PhD Dissertation. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Chun JY. 2005. Changes in physicochemical, microbiological and sensory characteristics of Mukeun Kimchi under a different fermentation temperature and storage period. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim KH, Cho HS. 2008. Physicochemical and microbiological properties of skate (Raja kenojei) kimchi on the market. Korean J Food Culture 23: 235-242.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods. 16th ed. Patricia Cunniff, New York, NY, USA. p 66-70.
- Mheen TI, Kwon TW. 1984. Effect of temperature and salt concentration on Kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 16: 443-450.
- Park HY, Jung LH, Lee SS. 2001. Physicochemical characteristics of Toha-Jeot added cabbage Kimchi during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 426-431.
- Hong SI, Park JS, Park NH. 1995. Quality changes of commercial kimchi products by different packaging methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 112-118.
- Moon JS. 2013. Characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi and their application for Mukeunji. MS Thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Chang KS, Kim MJ, Kim SD. 1995. Effect of ginseng on the preservability and quality of Chinese cabbage Kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 313-322.
- Lee MH, Jun HK, No HK. 1992. Color measurement of kimchi juice for quality evaluation of Korean cabbage kimchi during fermentation at low temperature. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 677-680.
- Lee HS. 1995. The measurement methods of the textural characteristics of fermented vegetables. Korean J Soc Food Sci 11: 83-91.
- Lee HY, Paik JE, Han YS. 2003. Effect of powder-type dried Alaska Pollack addition on the quality of Kimchi. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 254-262.
- Noh JS, Kim JH, Lee MJ, Kim MH, Song YO. 2008. Development of auto-aging system for the kimchi refrigerator for optimal fermentation and storage of dongchimi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 661-668.
- Woo M, Choi JR, Kim M, Jang MS, Cho EJ, Song YO. 2012. Physicochemical characteristics of seafood-added kimchi during fermentation and its sensory properties. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1771-1777. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1771
- Kim HJ, Kang SM, Yang CB. 1997. Effects of yeast addition as starter on fermentation of kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 790-799.