- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The effect of nano-Zinc oxide on the self-cleaning properties of cotton fabrics for textile application
- Panutumrong, Praripatsaya ;
- Metanawin, Tanapak ;
- Metanawin, Siripan ;
- O-Charoen, Narongchai
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.04.20
- Published : 2015.06.30
The self-cleaning properties of nano-zinc oxide on cotton fabrics have been investigated. The cotton fabric has been prepared by pad-dry method. The nano-zinc oxide was encapsulated in the polystyrene particle by mini-emulsion process prior used. The loading amount of zinc oxide particles into the mini-emulsion were various from 1% wt to 40%wt. The particles sizes of ZnO-encapsulated polystyrene mini-emulsion were determined using dynamic light scattering. It was showed that the particle size of the mini-emulsion was in the range of 124-205 nm. The topography and morphology of ZnO-encapsulated polystyrene which coated on cotton fabrics was observed using scanning electron microscopy. The crystal structure of ZnO-coated on cotton fabrics was explored by X-ray diffraction spectroscopy. The photocatalytic activities of zinc oxide were present through the self-cleaning properties. The presents of the zinc oxide on cotton fabrics significantly showed the improving of the self-cleaning properties under UV radiation.
nano-inc oxide;self-leaning properties;textile application
- Zhang, M., et al., "Titania-Coated Polystyrene Hybrid Microballs Prepared with Miniemulsion Polymerization," Langmuir, Vol. 20, pp. 1420 - 1424, 2014.
- Ana M. Peiro, et al., "Hybrid polymer/metal oxide solar cells based on ZnO columnar structures," J. Mater. Chem., Vol. 16, pp. 2088-2096, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1039/b602084d
- Meilert, K.T., D. Laub, and J. Kiwi, "Photocatalytic self-cleaning of modified cotton textiles by TiO2 clusters attached by chemical spacers," J. Mol. Catal. A. Chem., Vol. 237, pp. 101-108, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcata.2005.03.040
- Fateh, R., R. Dillert, and D. Bahnemann, "Self-Cleaning Properties, Mechanical Stability, and Adhesion Strength of Transparent Photocatalytic TiO2-ZnO Coatings on Polycarbonate," Appl. Mater. Interfaces, Vol. 6(4), pp. 2270-2278, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1021/am4051876
- Kapridaki, C. and P. Maravelaki-Kalaitzaki, "TiO2-SiO2-PDMS nano-composite hydrophobic coating with self-cleaning properties for marble protection," Progress in Organic Coatings, Vol. 76, pp. 400-410, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2012.10.006
- Y. Paz, et al., "Photooxidative self-cleaning transparent titanium dioxide films on glass," J. Mater. Res., Vol. 10(11), pp. 2842-2848, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.1995.2842
- Elamin, N. and A. Elsanousi, "Synthesis of ZnO Nanostructures and their Photocatalytic Activity," J. Appl. Indus. Sci., Vol. 1, pp. 32-35, 2013.
- Hamrouni, A., H. Lachheb, and A. Houas, " Synthesis,characterization and photocatalytic activity of ZnO-SnO2 nanocomposites," Mater. Sci. Eng. B., Vol. 178, pp. 1371-1379, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mseb.2013.08.008
- Sun, J.-H., et al., "Preparation and photocatalytic property of a novel dumbbell-shaped ZnO microcrystal photocatalyst," J. Hazard. Mater., Vol. 172, pp. 1520-1526, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.08.022
- Yassitepe, E., et al., " Photocatalytic efficiency of ZnO plates in degradation of azo dye solutions, J. Photochem," Photobiol. A. 198, pp. 1-6, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2008.02.007
- Hong, R.Y., et al., " Syntllesis, surface modification and photocatalytic property of ZnO nanoparticles," Powder Technol., Vol. 189, pp. 426-432, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2008.07.004