- Volume 3 Issue 1
Renewable energy resources play an important part in the world's future. Renewable energy sources have the following components: biomass, geothermal, solar thermal, directs solar, wind, tidal and hydropower. Hydropower is still the most efficient way to generate electricity worldwide. Hydropower projects can contribute as a cheap energy source, as well to encourage the development of small industries across a wide range of new technology; furthermore hydropower systems use the energy in flowing and falling water to produce electricity or mechanical energy. Hydropower systems are classified as large, medium, small, mini and micro according to their installed power generation capacity, as do the following components: water turbines, control mechanisms and electrical transmissions. In this article a review of small hydropower systems has been done on the principles surrounding the fundamentals of hydraulic engineering, the fundamentals of hydrology, identification of sites and economic analysis.
small hydropower;turbine;renewable energy resources
- UNDP, World energy assessment 2000 - energy and the challenge of sustainability, New York: UNDP; (ISBN 9211261260), 2000.
- Demirbas A., "Recent advances in biomass conversion technologies," Energy Educational Science and Technology, Vol. 6, pp.19-40, 2000.
- Himanshu Nautiyala, S.K. Singalb, Varuna, Aashish Sharmaa, "Small hydropower for sustainable energy development in India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, pp. 2021- 2027, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.01.006
- WEC (World Energy Council), Survey of energy resources executive summary, 2010 http://www.worldenergy.org/documents/ser2010exsumsept8.pdfS
- Hailun Huang, Zheng Yan, "Present situation and future prospect of hydropower in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, pp. 1652-1656, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2008.08.013
- F.R.Pazheri, M.F.Othman, N.H.Malik, "A review on global renewable electricity scenario," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 31, pp. 835-845, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.12.020
- Ibrahim Yuksel, "Hydropower in Turkey for a clean and sustainable energy future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 12, pp. 1622-1640, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2007.01.024
- Ibrahim Yuksel, "Hydropower for sustainable water and energy development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, pp. 462-469, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.025
- Gema San Bruno, Lauha Fried, "Focus on Small Hydro," Renewable energy focus November/December, 2008.
- Oliver Paish, "Small hydro power: technology and current status," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 6, pp. 537-556, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1364-0321(02)00006-0
- Tasneem Abbasi, S.A. Abbasi, "Small hydro and the environmental implications of its extensive utilization," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, pp. 2134-2143, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2010.11.050
- Sachin Mishra, S.K. Singal, D.K. Khatod, "Optimal installation of small hydropower plant-A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, pp. 3862-3869, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.008
- Department of Energy Energy Utilization Management Bureau, Manuals and Guidelines for Micro-hydropower Development in Rural Electrification Volume I.
- David Kilama Okot, "Review of small hydropower technology. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 26, pp. 515-520, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.006
- U.S.Department of Energy:energy and renewable energy, http:/www.eere.energy.gov (accessed on22.02.2011)
- Micro-Hydropower Systems, A Buyer's Guide, Canada, 2004.
- C.Alonso-Tristan, D.Gonzalez-Pena, M.Diez-Mediavilla, M.Rodriguez-Amigo, T.Garcia-Calderon, "Small hydropower plants in Spain: A case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15. pp. 2729 - 2735, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.03.029
- S.K. Singal , R.P. Saini, C.S. Raghuvanshi, "Analysis for cost estimation of low head run-of-river small hydropower schemes," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, pp. 117-126, 2010.
- Small Hydro Power Plants, http://www.fonkohydro.com/small-hydro-power-plant.html.