- Volume 3 Issue 1
The article aims to apply a friction stir spot welding for producing the lap joint between AA5052 aluminum alloy and C11000 copper alloy. The dimension of the materials was 100 mm in length, 30 mm in width and 1.0 mm in thickness. The copper plate was set overlap the aluminum plate by 30 mm. The welding parameter was the rotating speed of 2500-4000 rpm, the pin inserting rate of 2-8 mm/min and the holding time of 6 sec. The mechanical properties test and the microstructure investigation were performed to evaluate the lap joint quality. The summarized results are as follows. The friction stir spot welding could produce effectively the lap joint between AA5052 and C11000 copper. Increase of the rotating speed and holding time directly affected to decrease the tensile shear strength of the lap joint. The optimized welding parameters in this study that indicated the tensile shear strength of 864 N was the rotating speed of 3500 rpm, the pin inserting rate of 6 mm/min and the holding time of 4sec. The experimental results also showed that the hardness of the weld metal was lower than that of the base materials.
friction stir spot welding;copper;aluminum;lap joint;strength
- Zuo, D., Hu, S., Shen, J., Xue, Z., "Intermediate layer characterization and fracture behavior of laser-welded copper/aluminum metal joints," Materials & Design, Vol. 58, pp. 357-362, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.02.004
- Galvo, I., Verdera, D., Gesto, D., Loureiro, A., Rodrigues, D.M., "Influence of aluminium alloy type on dissimilar friction stir lap welding of aluminium to copper," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, pp. 1920-1928, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2013.05.004
- Saeid, T. Abdollah-zadeh, A., Sazgari, B., "Weldability and mechanical properties of dissimilar aluminum-copper lap joints made by friction stir welding," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 490, pp. 652-655, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2009.10.127
- Wang, X., Gu, C., Zheng, Y., Shen, Z., Liu, X., "Laser shock welding of aluminum/aluminum and aluminum/copper plates," Materials & Design, Vol. 56, pp. 26-30, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2013.10.091
- Abdollah-Zadeh, A. Saeid, T., Sazgari, B., "Microstructural and mechanical properties of friction stir welded aluminum/copper lap joints," Journal of alloys and Compounds, Vol. 460, pp. 535-538, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2007.06.009
- Bisadi, H., Tavakoli, A., Tour Sangsaraki, M., Tour Sangsaraki, K., "The influences of rotational and welding speeds on microstructures and mechanical properties of friction stir welded Al5083 and commercially pure copper sheets lap joints," Materials and Design, Vol. 43, pp. 80-88, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.06.029
- Sun, Y.F., Fujii, H., "Microstructure and mechanical properties of dissimilar spot friction stir welded Zr55 Cu30 Al10 Ni5 bulk metallic glass to pure copper," Intermetallics, Vol. 33, pp. 113-119, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2012.10.006
- Kimapong, K., "Friction stir spot welding of AA1100 aluminum alloy to AISI304 stainless steel," Engineering Journal of Siam University, Vol. 2-15, pp. 56-61, In Thai, 2008.
- Hmeefureng, T., Kimapong, K., "Effect of friction stir spot welding on lap joint properties of AA5052 aluminum alloy and AISI430 stainless steel," Industrials Engineering Network Conference, Songkla Thailand, pp. 834-839, In Thai, 2008.
- Shin, H.,S., Jung, Y.,C., "Characteristics of dissimilar friction stir spot welding of bulk metallic glass to lightweight crystalline metals," Intermetallics, Vol. 18, pp. 2000-2004, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2010.03.004