- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Friction Stir Spot Welding Parameters of Lap Joint between AA1100 Aluminum Alloy and SGACD Zinc-coated Steel
Triwanapong, Surat;Kaewwichit, Jesada;Roybang, Waraporn;Kimapong, Kittipong
- Received : 2015.03.23
- Accepted : 2015.05.21
- Published : 2015.06.30
This article aims to apply a friction stir spot welding for producing a lap joint of AA1100 aluminum alloy and SGACD zinc coated steel. The experiment was designed by MINITAB and then investigated the relation among the friction spot joint parameters. The experimental results are as follows. The friction spot joining could successively produce the lap joint of AA1100 aluminum alloy and SGACD zinc coated steel. Interaction between the rotate speed, the hold time and the tool insert speed affected to vary the tensile shear strength of the lap joint. The prediction of the optimized welding parameters that indicated the tensile shear strength of 1966 N was the rotated speed of 4000 rpm, the pin hold time of 6 sec, the pin insert rate of 6 mm/min with the S/N ratio of 66.56 that was higher than that of the total mean S/N ratio. The practical experiment of the predicted welding parameters indicated the tensile shear strength of 2165 N and had the S/N ratio of 66.70 that was higher than the predicted tensile shear strength.
friction stir spot welding;lap joint;aluminum;steel
- Branes, T.A., Pashyby, I.R., "Joining Techniques for Aluminum Spaceframes used in Automobiles Part I-Solid and Liquid Phase Welding," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 99, pp. 62-71, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(99)00367-2
- Tanaka, K., Kumagai, M., "Dissimilar Joining of Aluminum Alloy and Steel Sheets by Friction Stir Spot Welding," Proceeding of International Symposium on Joining Technologies in Advanced Automobile Assembly, pp. 181-189, Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- Fujimoto, M., Koga, S., Ohashi, R., Fukuhara, K., "Friction Spot Joining for Automotive Industry," Proceeding of International Symposium on Joining Technologies in Advanced Automobile Assembly, pp. 173-179, Tokyo, Japan.
- Rose Pj, Taguchi Techniques for quality engineering, Mc-Graw Hill, New York, 1988.
- Peace, GS., Taguchi methods, Addison-Wesley, 1993, New York.
- Juang, SC, Tarng, YS., "Process parameter selection for optimizing the weld pool geometry in the tungsten inert gas welding of stainless steel," J Mater Process Technol, Vol. 128, pp. 1-6, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)01261-4
- Minitab User Manual (Release 15), Making data analysis easier, MINITAB Inc, State College, PA: USA: 2001.
- Lin, TR., "Experimental design and performance analysis of TIN coated carbide tool in face milling stainless steel," J Mater Proc Technology, Vol. 127, pp. 1-7, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00026-2