- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Microstructure and Tensile Strength of Butt Joint between AA6063 Aluminum Alloy and AISI304 Stainless Steel by Friction Stir Welding
Sadmai, Karuna;Kaewwichit, Jesada;Roybang, Waraporn;Keawsakul, Nut;Kimapong, Kittipong
- Received : 2015.03.23
- Accepted : 2015.05.21
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study presents the experimental results of the Friction Stir Welding (FSW) of AA6063 aluminum alloy and AISI304 stainless steel butt joint by varying the welding parameters such as the rotating speed and the welding speed. The main results are as follows. The variation of the welding parameters produced various characteristic interfaces and had distinct influences on the joint properties. Increasing the rotating speed and the welding speed decreased the joint tensile strength because it produced the defect on the joint interface. The optimum welding parameter that could produce the sound joint was a rotating speed of 750 rpm and the welding speed of 102 mm/min with the tensile strength of 71 MPa.
friction stir welding;aluminium;steel;tensile strength;Microstructur
- Sun, Z., Karppi, R., "The Application of Electron Beam Welding for the Joining of Dissimilar Metals: An Overview," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 59, pp. 257-267, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(95)02150-7
- Branes, T.A., Pashyby, I.R., "Joining Techniques for Aluminum Spaceframes used in Automobiles Part I-Solid and Liquid Phase Welding," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 99, pp. 62-71, 2007.
- Brandon, D., Kaplan, W.D., Joining Processes, An introduction, John Wiley&Sons, New York, pp. 364, 1997.
- Thomas, W.M., Nicholas, E.D., Needham, J.C., Murch, M.G., Templesmith, P. and Dawes, C.J., Friction Stir Welding, G.B. Patent Appli-cation No. 9125978.8. UK, 1991.
- Thomas, W.M. and Nicholas, E.D., "Friction Stir Welding for the Transportation Industries," Materials and Design, Vol. 18, pp. 269-273, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3069(97)00062-9
- Kimapong, K., Watanabe, T., "Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy to Steel," Welding Journal, Vol. 84, No.10, pp. 277-282, 2004.
- Kimapong, K., Watanabe, T., "Lap Joint of A5083 Aluminum Alloy and SS400 Steel by Friction Stir Welding," Materials Transaction, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 835-841, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.46.835
- Kimapong, K., Watanabe, T., "Effect of Welding Process Parameters on Mechanical Property of FSW Lap Joint between Aluminum and Steel," Materials Transaction, Vol. 46, No. 10, pp. 2211-2217, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.46.2211
- Chen, C.M., Kovacevic, R., "Joining of Al6061 Alloy to AISI1018 Steel by Combined Effects of Fusion and Solid State Welding," International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacturing,Vol. 44, pp. 1205-1214, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2004.03.011
- Uzun, H., Donne, C.D., Argagnotto, A., Ghidini, T., Gambaro, C., "Friction stir welding of dissimilar Al 6013-T4 To X5CrNi18-10 stainless steel," Materials & Design, Vol. 26, pp. 41-46, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2004.04.002
- http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7025838.html, August 2006.
- http://www.columbus.co.za, August 2006.
- Kattner, U.R., Massalski, T.B., Binary Alloy Phase Diagram ASM International, Material Park, OH, P. 147, 1990.
- Kobayashi, S., Yakou, T., "Control of Intermetallic Compound Layers at Interface between Steel and Aluminum by Diffusion-treatment," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 338, pp. 44-53, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(02)00053-9
- Study on microstructure, mechanical, and electrochemical behaviour of friction stir welded joints between aluminium and 304 stainless steel vol.6, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aae3c1
- Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Butt Joints between Stainless Steel SUS304L and Aluminum Alloy A6061-T6 by TIG Welding vol.11, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11071136