- Volume 31 Issue 3
Mangroves are important coastal ecosystems and are located at the inter-tidal zones of tropical and sub-tropical belts. The global mangrove forests are declining dramatically because of the conversion of forests to shrimp farming, over-exploitation, pollution and freshwater diversion. The Bangladesh Forest Department initiated mangrove afforestation throughout the coastal belts of Bangladesh in 1966 to provide better protection for the coastal communities. Up to 1990, 120,000 ha of mangroves had been planted and it is one of the largest coastal afforestaton programs in the world. The objective of this study is to exploit the spatial extent of mangrove plantation and their dynamics of changes over the last two decades using multispectral Landsat imagery. The study area covers the coastal areas of Bangladesh that is extended over the eastern part of Sundarbans up to Teknaf, the southern tip of mainland Bangladesh. Mangrove plantations were interpreted visually on computer screen and interactive delineation of forest boundary was done. The mangrove plantation area has been estimated as 32,725, 47,636 and 43,166 ha for the year of 1989, 2000 and 2010, respectively. Mangrove deforestation by human activity has increased almost six times in the recent decade in comparison to the previous one. The mangrove forest loss due to coastal erosion has slightly declined in the 2000s. Mangroves have been lost primarily because of agricultural expansion. The result of this investigation will be helpful to understand the dynamics of mangrove plantation and the main drivers of changes in this coastal ecosystem.
mangroves;landsat;interactive visual interpretation;mapping;change detection
- Alongi DM. 2002. Present state and future of the world's mangrove forests. Environmental Conservation 29: 331-349.
- Anon 1993. Report on Remote Sensing and Monitoring Component for Mangrove Afforestation Program of Second Forestry Project. Technical Report. Bangladesh Space Research and Remote Sensing Organization (SPARRSO), Dhaka.
- Aschbacher J, Ofren R, Delsol JP, Suselo TB, Vibulsresth S, Charrupat T. 1995. An integrated comparative approach to mangrove vegetation mapping using advanced remote sensing and GIS technologies: preliminary results. Hydrobiologia 295: 285-294. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00029135
- Barbier EB, Cox M. 2003. Does economic development lead to mangrove loss? a cross-country analysis. Contemporary Economic Policy 21: 418-432. https://doi.org/10.1093/cep/byg022
- Bhatt S, Shah DG, Desai N. 2009. The mangrove diversity of Purna Estuary, South Gujarat, India. Tropical Ecology 50: 287-293.
- Blasco F, Aizpuru M. 2002. Mangroves along the coastal stretch of the Bay of Bengal: Present status. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences 31: 9-20.
- Blasco F, Lavenu F, Bareza J. 1986. Remote sensing data applied to mangrove of kenya coast. Proceedings of the 20th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of the Environment 3: 1465-1480.
- Conchedda G, Durieux L, Mayaux P. 2008. An object-based method for mapping and change analysis in mangrove ecosystems. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 63: 578-589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2008.04.002
- Das S, Vincent JR. 2009. Mangroves protected villages and reduced death toll during Indian super cyclone. PNAS 106: 7357-7360. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0810440106
- Donato DC, Kauffman JB, Murdiyarso D, Kurnianto S, Stidham M, Kanninen M. 2011. Mangroves among the most carbon-rich forests in the tropics. Nature Geoscience 4: 293-297. https://doi.org/10.1038/ngeo1123
- Dutrieux E, Denis J, Populus J. 1990. Application of SPOT data to a base-line ecological study of the Mahakam delta mangroves (East Kalimantan, Indonesia). Oceanologica Acta 13: 317-326.
- FAO. 2007. The world's mangroves 1980-2005: FAO Forestry Paper 153. FAO, Rome.
- FAO. 2010. Global forest resources assessment 2010: Key Findings. FAO, Rome.
- Field CB, Osborn JG, Hoffman LL, Polsenberg JF, Ackerly D, Berry JA, Bjorkman O, Held Z, Matson PA, Mooney HA. 1998. Mangrove biodiversity and ecosystem function. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 7: 3-14. https://doi.org/10.2307/2997693
- Field CD. 2000. Mangroves. In: Seas at the millennium: an environmental evaluation. Volume III Global issues and processes (Sheppard CRC, ed). Pergamon Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp 17-31.
- Fromard F, Vega C, Proisy C. 2004. Half a century of dynamic coastal change affecting mangrove shorelines of French Guiana. A case study based on remote sensing data analyses and field surveys. Marine Geology 208: 265-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2004.04.018
- Gang PO, Agatsiva JL. 1992. The current status of mangroves along the Kenyan coast: a case study of Mida Creek mangroves based on remote sensing. Hydrobiologia 247: 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00008202
- Gao J, Chen H, Zhang Y, Zha Y. 2004. Knowledge-based approaches to accurate mapping of mangroves from satellite data. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 70: 1241-1248. https://doi.org/10.14358/PERS.70.11.1241
- Gilbert AJ, Janssen R. 1998. Use of environmental functions to communicate the values of a mangrove ecosystem under different management regimes. Ecological Economics 25: 323-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00064-5
- Giri C, Pengra B, Zhu Z, Singh A, Tieszen A. 2007. Monitoring mangrove forest dynamics of the Sundarbans in Bangladesh and India using multi-temporal satellite data from 1973 to 2000. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 73: 91-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.12.019
- Giri C, Zhu Z, Tieszen LL, Singh A, Gillette S, Kelmelis JA. 2008. Mangrove forest distributions and dynamics (1975-2005) of the tsunami-affected region of Asia. Journal of Biogeography 35: 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2699.2007.01806.x
- Green EP, Clark CD, Mumby PJ, Edwards AJ, Ellis AC. 1998. Remote sensing techniques for mangrove mapping. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19: 935-956. https://doi.org/10.1080/014311698215801
- Heumann BW. 2011. Satellite remote sensing of mangrove forests: Recent advances and future opportunities. Progress in Physical Geography 35: 87-108. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133310385371
- Hossain MZ, Tripathi NK, Gallardo WG. 2009. Land use dynamics in a marine protected area system in lower Andaman coast of Thailand, 1990-2005. Journal of Coastal Research 25: 1082-1095.
- Islam J. 2007. Forest and Other Land Uses of Bangladesh. Technical Report. Bangladesh Space Research & Remote Sensing Organization (SPARRSO), Dhaka.
- James GK, Adegoke JO, Saba E, Nwilo P, Akinyede JO. 2007. Satellite-based assessment of the extent and changes in the mangrove ecosystem of the Niger Delta. Marine Geodesy 30: 249-267. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490410701438224
- Jensen JR, Lin H, Yang X, Ramset E III, Davis BA, Thoemke CW. 1991. The measurement of mangrove characteristics in southwest Florida using SPOT multispectral data. Geocarto International 2: 13-21.
- Kovacs JM, Lu XX, Flores-Verdugo F, Zhang C, Santiago FF, Jiao X. 2013. Applications of ALOS PALSAR for monitoring biophysical parameters of a degraded black mangrove (Avicennia germinans) forest. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 82: 102-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2013.05.004
- Kuenzer C, Bluemel A, Gebhardt S, Quoc TV, Dech S. 2011. Remote sensing of mangrove ecosystems: A review. Remote Sensing 3: 878-928. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs3050878
- Lee TM, Yeh HC. 2009. Applying remote sensing techniques to monitor shifting wetland vegetation: A case study of Danshui River estuary mangrove communities, Taiwan. Ecological Engineering 35: 487-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2008.01.007
- Linneweber V, de Lacerda LD. (Eds). 2002. Mangrove Ecosystems: Function and Management, First ed. Springer, Berlin.
- Liu K, Li X, Shi X, Wang S. 2008. Monitoring mangrove forest changes using remote sensing and GIS data with decision-tree learning. Wetlands 28: 336-346. https://doi.org/10.1672/06-91.1
- Long BG, Skewes TD. 1994. GIS and Remote Sensing Improves Mangrove Mapping. Proceedings of the 7th Australasian Remote Sensing Conference, Melbourne, March, pp. 545-550.
- Lugo AE, Snedaker SC. 1974. The ecology of mangroves. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 5: 39-64. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.05.110174.000351
- MacSiurtain M, Collins A. 1992. Forest Stand Mapping from Satellite Imagery on the Apple Macintosh. Proceedings of the European Collaborative Programme Workshop on Remote Sensing for Forestry Applications (Folving S, Ertner G, Svendsen TB, eds). Commissions of the European Communities. Copenhagen, Denmark. 13-15 November 1991. Brussels - Luxembourg pp. 35-44.
- Manson FJ, Loneragan NR, Mcleod I, Kenyon R. 2001. Assessing techniques for estimating the extent of mangroves: topographic maps, aerial photographs and Landsat TM images. Marine and Freshwater Research 52: 787-792. https://doi.org/10.1071/MF00052
- Murray MR, Zisman SA, Furley PA, Munro DM, Gibson J, Ratter J, Bridgewater S, Minty CD, Place CJ. 2003. The mangroves of Belize: Part 1. distribution, composition and classification. Forest Ecology and Management 174: 265-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1127(02)00036-1
- Nagelkerken I, Blaber SJM, Bouillon S, Green P, Haywood M, Kirton LG, Meynecke JO, Pawlik J, Penrose HM, Sasekumar A, Somerfield PJ. 2008. The habitat function of mangroves for terrestrial and marine fauna: A review. Aquatic Botany 89: 155-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2007.12.007
- Populus J, Lantieri D. 1991. Use of High Resolution Satellite Data for Coastal Fisheries. Report 58, Food & Agricultural Organization, Rome.
- Rahman M, Ullah R, Lan M, Sumantyo JTS, Kuze H, Tateishi R. 2013. Comparison of Landsat image classification methods for detecting mangrove forests in Sundarbans. International Journal of Remote Sensing 34: 1041-1056. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2012.717181
- Rist S, Dahdouh-Guebas F. 2006. Ethnosciences-A step towards the integration of scientific and indigenous forms of knowledge in the management of natural resources for the future. Environment, Development and Sustainability 8: 467-493. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-006-9050-7
- Saenger P, Siddiqi NA. 1993. Land from the sea: The mangrove afforestation program of Bangladesh. Ocean & Coastal Management 20: 23-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/0964-5691(93)90011-M
- Thu PM, Populus J. 2007. Status and changes of mangrove forest in Mekong Delta: Case study in Tra Vinh, Vietnam. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 71: 98-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.08.007
- Vasconcelos MJP, Biai JCM, Araujo A, Diniz MA. 2002. Land cover change in two protected areas of Guinea-Bissau (1956-1998). Applied Geography 22: 139-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-6228(02)00005-X
- Vits C, Tack J. 1995. The Use of Remote Sensing as Information Source for Environmental Accounting of Coastal Areas in Kenya. Feasibility Study Reference No. T3/02/603, University of Ghent, 1-45.