- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Replacement of Concentrate Mixture by Broccoli Byproducts on Lactating Performance in Dairy Cows
- Yi, X.W. (Institute of Dairy Science, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University) ;
- Yang, F. (Institute of Dairy Science, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University) ;
- Liu, J.X. (Institute of Dairy Science, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, J.K. (Institute of Dairy Science, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2015.01.06
- Accepted : 2015.04.15
- Published : 2015.10.01
The objective of the present study was to determine the effects of feeding pelletized broccoli byproducts (PBB) on milk yield and milk composition in dairy cows. In Trial 1, an in vitro gas test determined the optimal replacement level of PBB in a concentrate mixture in a mixed substrate with Chinese wild ryegrass hay (50:50, w/w) at levels of 0, 10%, 20%, 30%, or 40% (dry matter basis). When the concentrate was replaced by PBB at a level of 20%, no adverse effects were found on the gas volume or its rate constant during ruminal fermentation. In trial 2, 24 lactating cows (days in milk =
- Arieli, A., D. Sklan, and G. Kissil. 1993. A note on the nutritive value of Ulva lactuca for ruminants. Anim. Sci. 57:329-331. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100006978
- AOAC. 1997. Official Methods of Analysis, 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Assad, T., R. A. Khan, and Z. Feroz. 2014. Evaluation of hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic activity of methanol extract of Brassica oleracea. Chin. J. Nat. Med. 12:648-653.
- Eastridge, M. L., P. B. Bucci, and C. V. D. M. Ribeiro. 2009. Feeding equivalent concentrations of forage neutral detergent fiber from alfalfa hay, grass hay, wheat straw, and whole cottonseed in corn silage based diets to lactating cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 150:86-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2008.08.008
- Hu, W. L., J. X. Liu, J. A. Ye, Y. M. Wu, and Y. Q. Guo. 2005. Effect of tea saponin on rumen fermentation in vitro. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 120: 333-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.02.029
- Kennedy, P. M., A. N. Boniface, Z. J. Liang, D. Muller, and R. M. Murray. 1992. Intake and digestion in swamp buffaloes and cattle. 2. The comparative response to urea supplements in animals fed tropical grasses. J. Agric. Sci. 119:243-254. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600014179
- Laporte, M. F. and P. Paquin. 1999. Near-infrared analysis of fat, protein, and casein in cow's milk. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:2600-2605. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980929r
- Lodge-Ivey, S. L., L. N. Tracey, and A. Salazar. 2014. Ruminant Nutrition Symposium: The utility of lipid extracted algae as a protein source in forage or starch-based ruminant diets. J. Anim. Sci. 92:1331-1342. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7027
Mahn, A., A. Angulo, and F. Cabanas. 2014. Purification and Characterization of Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) Myrosinase (
$\beta$-Thioglucosidase Glucohydrolase). J. Agric. Food Chem. 62: 11666-11671. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf504957c
- Martinez-Villaluenga, C., J. Frias, P. Gulewicz, K. Gulewicz, and C. Vidal-Valverde. 2008. Food safety evaluation of broccoli and radish sprouts. Food Chem. Toxicol. 46:1635-1644. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.01.004
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Dev. 28:7-55.
- Menke, K. H., L. Raab, A. Salewski, H. Steingass, D. Fritz, and W. Schneider. 1979. The estimation of the digestibility and metabolizable energy content of ruminant feedingstuffs from the gas production when they are incubated with rumen liquor in vitro. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 93:217-222. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600086305
- MoA (Ministry of Agriculture, P.R. China). 2004. Feeding Standard of Fattening Sheep. (NY/T816-2004). Ministry of Agriculture of P. R. China, Beijing, China.
- Orskov, E. R., F. D. D. Hovell, and F. Mould. 1980. The use of the nylon bag technique for the evaluation of feedstuffs. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:195-213.
- Peng, J., D. Yao, F. Xu, H. Q. Wang, and Y. H. Zheng. 2015. Effect of light on quality and bioactive compounds in postharvest broccoli florets. Food Chem. 172:705-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.134
- SAS Institute Inc. 2000. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. Version 8.01. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Satter, L. D. and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of ammonia concentration on rumen microbial protein production in vitro. Br. J. Nutr. 32:199-208. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19740073
- Srinivas, B. and B. N. Gupta. 1997. Rumen fermentation, bacterial and total volatile fatty acid (TVFA) production rates in cattle fed on urea-molasses-mineral-block licks supplement. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 65:275-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01062-0
- Su, Y. J., X. Y. Wang, and W. L. Li. 2005. Broccoli in Linghai. China Agro-technology Extension, Linhai, China. 5:1-3.
- Sutton, J. D., W. H. Broster, E. Schuller, D. J. Napper, V. J. Broster, and J. A. Bines. 1988. Influence of plane of nutrition and diet composition on rumen fermentation and energy utilization by dairy cows. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 110:261-270. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600081284
- Sutton, J. D., S. V. Morant, J. A. Bines, D. J. Napper, and D. I. Givens. 1993. Effect of altering the starch: fibre ration in the concentrates on hay intake and milk production by Friesian cows. J. agric. Sci., Camb. 120:379-390. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600076541
- Van, Houtert, M. F. J. 1993. The production and metabolism of volatile fatty acids by ruminants fed roughages: A review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 43:189-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90078-X
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74: 3583-3598. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wang, J. K., H. L. Mao, Y. W. Zhou, J. X. Liu, and X. J. Yan. 2007. Feasibility of Porphyra haitanensis as protein source for ruminants. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 16:278-283. https://doi.org/10.22358/jafs/74507/2007
- Yi, X. W., F. Yang, Y. Chen, J. K. Wang, and J. X. Liu. 2008. Feasibility of Broccoli residues as protein source for ruminants. Proceedings of the 13th AAAP Animal Science Congress, September 22-26, 2008, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Comparative Phytonutrient Analysis of Broccoli By-Products: The Potentials for Broccoli By-Product Utilization vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23040900