- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Measurement of the Intestinal Digestibility of Rumen Undegraded Protein Using Different Methods and Correlation Analysis
- Wang, Y. (College of Food and Biological Engineering, Qiqihar University) ;
- Zhang, Y.G. (Animal Science and Technology Institute, Northeast Agriculture University) ;
- Liu, Xiaolan (College of Food and Biological Engineering, Qiqihar University) ;
- Kopparapu, N.K. (College of Food and Biological Engineering, Qiqihar University) ;
- Xin, Hangshu (Animal Science and Technology Institute, Northeast Agriculture University) ;
- Liu, J. (College of Food and Biological Engineering, Qiqihar University) ;
- Guo, Jianhua (College of Food and Biological Engineering, Qiqihar University)
- Received : 2015.01.29
- Accepted : 2015.04.16
- Published : 2015.10.01
Four methods were adopted, including the mobile nylon bag (MNB) method, modified three-step in vitro (MTS) method, original three-step in vitro (OTS) method, and acid detergent insoluble nitrogen (ADIN) estimating method, to evaluate the intestinal digestibility of rumen undegradable protein (DRUP) of 10 types of concentrates and 7 types of roughages. After correlation analysis to determine the DRUP values using the MNB, MTS, OTS, and ADIN methods, the study aimed to find out appropriate methods to replace the MNB method due to its disadvantages such as high price, long time period, and use of a duodenal T-fistula. Three dairy cows with a permanent ruminal fistula and duodenal T-fistula were used in a single-factor experimental design. The results showed that the determined DRUP values using the MNB method for soybean meal, cottonseed meal, rapeseed meal, sunflower meal, corn germ meal, corn, rice bran, barley, wheat bran, corn fiber feed, Alfalfa (Zhao dong), Alfalfa (Long mu 801), Alfalfa (Long mu 803), grass (North), Grass (Inner Mongolia), corn silage and corn straw were 98.13%, 87.37%, 88.47%, 82.60%, 75.40%, 93.23%, 69.27%, 91.27%, 72.37%, 79.03%, 66.72%, 68.64%, 73.57%, 50.47%, 51.52%, 54.05%, and 43.84%, respectively. The coefficient of determination (
Supported by : Agriculture Ministry in China
- Antoniewicz, A. M., A. M. van Vurren, C. J. van der Koelen, and I. Kosmala. 1992. Intestinal digestibility of rumen undegraded protein of formaldehyde-treated feedstuffs measured by mobile bag and in vitro technique. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 39:111- 124. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(92)90035-5
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA..
- Beckers, Y., A. Thewis, and B. Maudoux. 1996. Intestinal digestibility of rumen undegraded N of concentrates measured by the mobile nylon bag technique. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 61: 305-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00945-0
- Boucher, S. E., C. Pedersen, H. H. Stein, and C. G. Schwab. 2009b. Evaluation of the furosine and homoarginine methods for determining reactive lysine in rumen-undegraded protein. J. Dairy Sci. 92:3951-3958. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1993
- Calsamiglia, M. D. and S. Stern. 1995. A three-step in vitro procedure for estimating intestinal digestion of protein in ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1459-1462. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7351459x
- De Boer, G., J. J. Murphy, and J. J. Kennedy. 1987. Mobile nylon bag for estimating intestinal availability of rumen undegradable protein. J. Dairy Sci. 70:977-982. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80102-9
- Erasmus, L. J., P. M. Botha, and C. W. Cruywagen. 1994. Amino acid profile and intestinal digestibility in dairy cows of rumen-undegradable protein from various feedstuffs. J. Dairy Sci. 77:541-551. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)76982-4
- Frydrynch, Z. 1992. Intestinal digestibility of rumen undegraded protein of various feeds as estimated by the mobile bag technique. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 37:161-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(92)90127-R
- Gargallo, S., S. Calsamiglia, and A. Ferret. 2006. Technical note: A modified three-step in vitro procedure to determine intestinal digestion of proteins. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2163-2167. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2004-704
- Haugen, H. L., M. J. Lamothe, T. J. Klopfenstein, D. C. Adams, and M. D. Ullerich. 2005. Estimation of undegradable intake protein in forages using neutral detergent insoluble nitrogen at a single in situ incubation time point. J. Anim. Sci. 84:651-659.
- Harstad, O. M. and E. Prestlkken. 2000. Effective rumen degradability and intestinal indigestibility of individual amino acids in solvent-extracted soybean meal (SBM) and xylose-treated SBM (SoyPass) determined in situ. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 83:31- 47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00114-5
- Hvelplund, T. 1985. Digestibility of rumen microbial protein and undegraded dietary protein estimated in the small intestine of sheep and by in sxco procedure. Acta Agric. Stand. (Suppl. 25):132-144.
- Hvelplund, T., M. R. Weisbjerg, and L. S. Andersen. 1992. Estimation of the true digestibility of rumen undegraded dietary protein in the small intestine of ruminants by the mobile bag technique. Acta Agric. Scand. A. Anim. Sci. 42:34-37.
- Hvelplund, T. and M. R. Weisbjerg. 2000. In situ techniques for the estimation of protein digestibility and postrumen availability. In: Forage Evaluation in Ruminant Nutrition (Eds. D. I. Given, E. Owen, R. F. E. Ax ford, and H. M. Omed). CABI Pub l. New York, NY, USA. pp. 233-258.
- Janicek, B. N., P. J. Kononoff, A. M. Gehman, and P. H. Doane. 2008. The effect of feeding dried distillers grains plus solubles on milk production and excretion of urinary purine derivatives. J. Dairy Sci. 91:3544-3553. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0777
- Kusumanti, E., M. R Weisbjerg, and T. Hvelplund. 1996. A comparison between protein disappearance from the mobile bag and acid detergent solubility of nitrogenas estimates of protein digestibility in ruminants. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 5:337- 345. https://doi.org/10.22358/jafs/69613/1996
- Klopfenstein, T. J., R. A. Mass, K. W. Creighton, and H. H. Patterson. 2001. Estimating forage protein degradation in the rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 79 (Suppl. 1):208-217. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2001.79E-SupplE208x
- Kleinschmit, D. H., J. L. Anderson, D. J. Schingoethe, K. F. Kalscheur, and A. R. Hippen. 2007. Ruminal and intestinal digestibility of distillers grains plus solubles varies by source. J. Dairy Sci. 90:2909-2918. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-613
- Kononoff, P. J., S. K. Ivan, and T. J. Klopfenstein. 2007. Estimation of the proportion of feed protein digested in the small intestine of cattle consuming wet corn gluten feed. J. Dairy Sci. 90:2377-85. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-552
- Licitra, G., T. M. Hernandez, and P. J. Van Soest. 1996. Standardization of procedures for nitrogen fractionation of ruminant feeds. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 57:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00837-3
- Li, C., J. Q. Li, W. Z. Yang, and K. A. Beauchemin 2012. Ruminal and intestinal amino acid digestion of distiller's grain vary with grain source and milling process. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 175:121-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2012.05.011
- National Research Council (NRC). 1996. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 6th Ed. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC, USA.
- National Research Council (NRC). 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Ed. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC, USA.
- Negi, S. S., B. Singh, and H. P. S. Makkar. 1988. An approach to the determination of rumen degradability of nitrogen in low-grade roughages and partition of nitrogen therein. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 111:487-493. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600083684
- Prestlokken, E. and O. Rise. 2003. Protein and amino acid digestibility in dairy cows measured with mobile nylon bags recovered in ileum or in faeces. Acta. Agric. Scand. Section A. Anim. Sci. 53:11-20.
- Qun, Y., H. J. Yang, and C. Y. Xie. 2007. Evaluation of small intestinal digestibility in protein of common feed in ruminant using mobile nylon bag method and three step in vitro method. J. China Agric. Univ. 12(6): 62- 66.
- Taghizadeh, A., M.D. Mesgaran and R.Valizadeh. 2005. Digestion of feed amino acids in the rumen and intestine of steers measured using a mobile nylon bag technique. J. Dairy Sci. 88: 1807- 1814. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72855-1
- Webster, A. J. F., M. A. Kitcherside, J. R. Keirby, and P. A. Hall. 1984. Hall Evaluation of protein feeds for dairy cows. J. Anim. Prod. 8:548-553.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- SAS. 1999. User's Guide: Statistics, 8th Ed. SAS Institute. Inc, Cary NC, USA
- Van Straalen, W. M. and S. Tamminga. 1990. In: Feedstuffs Evaluation (Eds. J. Wiseman and D. J. A. Cole). Buttenvorths, London, UK. pp. 55-59.
- Van Straalen, W. M., J. J. Odiga, and W. Mostert. 1997. Digestion of feed amino acids in the rumen and small intestine of dairy cows measured with nylon-bag techniques. Br. J. Nutr. 77:83-97. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114500002907
- Voigt, J., B. Piatkowski, H. Engelmann, and E. Rudolph. 1985. Measurement of the postruminal digestibility of crude protein by the bag technique in cows. Arch. Tierernaahr. Berlin. 35:555-562. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450398509425219
- Van Straalen, W. M., F. M. H. Dooper, A. M. Antoniewicz, I. Kosmala, and A. M. vanVurren. 1993. Intestinal digestibility in dairy cows of protein from grass and clover measured with mobile nylon bag and other methods. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2970-2981. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77636-5
- Stern, M. D., A. Bach, and S. Calsamiglia. 1997. Alternative techniques for measuring nutrient digestion in ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2256-2276. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.7582256x
- Varvikko, T. and A. Vanhatalo. 1991. Intestinal nitrogen of hay and grass silage estimated by the mobile nylon bag technique. World Rev. Anim. Prod. 16: 73-76.
- Von Keyserlingk, M. A. G., M. L. Swiftb, and A. R. Puchalac. 1996. Degradability characteristics of dry matter and crude protein of forages in ruminants. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 57: 291-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00865-9
- Woods, V. B., A. P. Moloney, S. Calsamiglia, F. P. O'Mara. 2003. The nutritive value of concentrate feedstuffs for ruminant animals: Part III. Small intestinal digestibility as measured by in vitro or mobile bag techniques. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 110:145-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00221-9