- Volume 31 Issue 8
In Japan, various methods of area management based on Transit Oriented Development (TOD) have been issued to deal with the problem of shrinking population and aging society. This study is to identify the trends and characteristics of area management by focusing on 38 cases of local governance on railway station areas in Japan. Typology was created by using 29 indicators based on 4 criteria (spatial utilization, activity, organization, and area characteristic) and the cases were classified into 6 different types of area management:(A. Resource Utilization, B. Station Area Redevelopment, C. Community Development, D. Station Area Revitalization, E. Transportation Function Reinforcement, and F. Design Adjustment) which varies from the characteristics of land use, area potential, and starting point of activities. The comparative analysis for each type of area management specified the methods of organizational operation and space utilization. As a conclusion, the study emphasizes the importance of the role and function of private sectors in the area management and the necessity of legislative actions for enhance the involvement of local communities and organizations for the future application of area management in Korea.
Urban Regeneration;Community Design;Station Influenced Area;Public Private Partnership(PPP);Local Governance
- Branch Strategy Information Board (2015):Retrieved May 20, 2014 from http://www.storestrategy.jp/
- Calthorpe, P. (1993). The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community and the American Dream, Princeton Architectural Press.
- Calthope, P. (2011), Urbanism in the Age of Climate Change, ISLAND PRESS.
- Cervero, R., & Ducan, M. (2002). Transit's Value-Added Effects: Light and Commuter Rail Services and Commercial Land Values, Transportation Research Record, 1805(2), 8-15. https://doi.org/10.3141/1805-02
- Cervero, R., & Sullivan, C. (2011). Green TODs: marrying transit-oriented development and green urbanism, International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 18(3), 210-218. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2011.570801
- Hong, J. (2013). Role of Local Administration and Town Planning Project, Public Society Study, 3(2), 151-169.
- Kim, D., Lee, S., Park, H., & Lee, S. (2008). A Study on the Area Management System in the Large Development Project, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 24(2), 273-284.
- Kim, D., Lee, S., & Song, S.(2009). A Study on the Area Management System for Urban Revitalization-Focused on Analysis of the Area Management System in USA, UK and Japan, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 25(8), 213-224.
- Kim, Y., Kim, S., & Nambu, S. (2007). Case Studies about Revitalization of American Downtowns and the Implications, Journal of The Residential Environment Institute of Korea, 5(2), 53-66.
- Kobayashi, S. (2005). Area Management, Gakugei Shupansha.
- Land Total Information Library:Retrieved May 20, 2014 from http://tochi.mlit.go.jp/seido-shisaku/chikakouji
- Land and Water Resources Bureau Land Policy Division & Area Management Promotion Manual Study Group (2008). Area Management Promotion Manual, MLIT Japan.
- Lee, J., Yoo, J., Choi, C., Hong, K., Kang, S., Kang, D., & Jung, S. (2014). Enforcement Direction and Issue of Urban Regeneration Special Act, Urban Information Service, 382, 3-20.
- Lee, S., & Chae, J. (2013). A Study on the Achievement on a Community Design Participants -Focused on Siheung- City-, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 29(9), 187-194.
- Lee, S., et al.(2013).Outcomes and Limits of the Maeul-m andeulgi Process - Focused on Jeongneung-1Dong of 'The Seongbuk-Gu's Secondary Urban Academy in 2011', Journal of The Urban Design Insitute of Korea, 14(1), 137-149
- Lee, W., Kim, M., & Lee, J. (2008). A Study on the Urban Renewal Mechanism of BID(Business Improvement Districts) in the United States, Journal of The Urban Design Insitute of Korea, 9(2), 41-56
- Lee, Y., Song, J., & Lee, J. (2010). Urban Design Management System for Sustainable Urban Revitalization in a City Center-A Case Study of Tenjin Area in Fukuoka, Japan, Journal of The Urban Design Insitute of Korea, 11(2), 247-268.
- Loo, B. P. Y., Chen, C., & Chan E. T. H. (2010). Rail-based transit-oriented development: Lessons from New York City and Hong Kong, Landscape and Urban Planning, 97(3), 202-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2010.06.002
- Shin, C., & Shin, H. (2008). A Case Study on the Planning Process of Maul-mandulgi through Citizen Participation, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 24(2), 109-120.
- Tae, Y., & Park, S. (2010). Characteristics of Maeulmandeulgi in Korea based on the Content Analysis of Related Local Ordinances, 2000-2009, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 26(7), 175-182.