- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Association between Metabolic Syndrome and Depression among Korean Community-Dwelling Older Adults
지역사회 재가노인의 대사증후군과 우울의 관계
- Received : 2015.03.23
- Accepted : 2015.05.29
- Published : 2015.08.28
This study evaluated the association between metabolic syndrome(MetS), its components and depression among Korean community-dwelling older adults. We analyzed data from the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES-V) 2010-2012. This study was a descriptive study of 3,755 Korean elderly, aged 65 years and older. A modified version of the criteria of the National Cholesterol Education Program, Adult Treatment Panel III was used to define MetS. Depressive symptoms were assessed using the questionnaire of the KNHANES-V. Multiple regression analyses performed the association between MetS, its components and depression. MetS was not statistically associated depressive symptoms, but low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol(HDL-C) was statistically associated depressive symptoms(Odds raio[OR]=1.26, 95%Confidence Interval [CI]=1.002-1.584) in older adults. Among elderly women, MetS(OR=1.36, 95%CI=1.029-1.792), elevated fasting glucose(OR=1.41, 95%CI=1.070-1.851), low HDL-C(OR=1.21, 95%CI=1.078-1.746) were statistically associated depressive symptoms. In conclusion, present study showed an association between MetS and depressive symptoms in Korean community dwelling elderly women but not in men.
Metabolic Syndrome;Depression;Older Adults
- T. Kawamura, T. Shioiri, K. Takahashi, V. Ozdemir, and T. Someya, "Survival rate and cause of mortality in the eldely with depression: a 15-year prospective study of a Japanese community sample, the Matsunoyama-Niigata suicide prevention project," J Invest Med, Vol.55, No.3, pp.106-114, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2310/6650.2007.06040
- 보건복지부, 2011년도 노인실태조사, 보건복지부, 2012.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, "The metabolic syndrome," Lancet, Vol.365, No.9468, pp.1415-1428, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66378-7
- B. Xi, D. He, Y. Hu, and D. Zhou, "Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its influencing factors among the Chinese adults: The China Health and Nutrition Survey in 2009," Preventive Medicine, Vol.57, No.6, pp.867-871, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.09.023
- 김봉정, "일 농촌 지역 노인의 대사증후군 유병률과 관련요인", 지역사회간호학회지, 제24권, 제2호, pp.225-235, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.2.225
- 임주원, 김소연, 계소신, 조비룡, "한국 노인에서 비만, 복부비만과 대사증후군의 유병률", 가정의학회지, 제32권, 제2호, pp.128-134, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2011.32.2.128
- L. J. Dominguez and M. Barbagallo, "The cardiometabolic syndrome and sarcopenic obesity in older adults," J Cardiometabolic Syndrome, Vol.2, No.3, pp.183-189, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-4564.2007.06673.x
- C. Y. Shin, K. E. Yun, and H. S. Park, "Blood pressure has a great impact on cardiovascular mortality than other components of metabolic syndrome in Koreans," Atherosclerosis, Vol.205, No.2, pp.614-619, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2009.01.014
- A. Pan, N. Keum, O. I. Okereke, Q. Sun, M. Kivimaki, R. R. Rubin, and F. B. Hu, "Bidirectional association between depression and metabolic syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological studies," Diabetes Care, Vol.35, No.5, pp.1171-1180, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-2055
- K. Raikkonen, K. A. Matthews, L. H. Kuller, "The relationship between psychological risk attributes and the metabolic syndrome in healthy women: antecedent or consequence?," Metabolism, Vol.51, No.12, pp.1573-1577, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/meta.2002.36301
- O. P. Almeida, J. Calver, K. Jamrozik, G. J. Hankey, and L. Flicker, "Obesity and metabolic syndrome increase the risk of incident depression in older men: the health in men study," Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, Vol.17, pp.889-898, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181b047e3
- H. Koponen, J. Jokelainen, S. Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi, E. Kumpusalo, and M. Vanhala, "Metbolic syndrome predisposes to depressive symptoms: a population-based 7-year follow-up study," J Clin Psychiatry, Vol.69, No.2, pp.178-182, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v69n0202
- T. N. Akbaraly, M. Kivimäki, E. J. Brunner, et al. "Association between metabolic syndrome and depressive symptoms in middle-aged adults: results from the Whitehall II study," Diabetes Care, Vol.32, pp.499-504, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-1358
- M. Morikawa, N. Okamoto, K. Kiuchi, K. Tomioka, J. Iwamoto, and A. Harano, et al. "Association between depressive symptoms and metabolic syndrome in Japanese community-dwelling older people: a cross-sectional analysis from the baseline results of the Fujiwara-kyo prospective cohort study," Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, Vol.28, No.12, pp.1251-1259, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.3950
- A. Laudisio, E. Marzetti, F. Pagano, G. Pozzi, R. Bernabei, and G. Zuccala, "Depressive symptoms and metabolic syndrome: selective association in older women," J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol, Vol.22, No.4, pp.215-222, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0891988709335793
- D. L. Foley, K. I. Morley, P. A. Madden, A. C. Heath, J. B. Whitfield, and N. G. Martin, "Major depression and the metabolic syndrome," Twin Res Hum Genet, Vol.13, pp.347-358, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1375/twin.13.4.347
- G. Viscogliosi, P. Andreozzi, I. M. Chiriac, E. Cipriani, A. Servello, and B. Marigliano, et al. "Depressive symptoms in older people with metabolic syndrome: is there a relationship with inflammation?," Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, Vol.28, No.3, pp.242-247, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.3817
- B. Hidrum, A. Mykletun, K. Midthjell, K. Ismail, and A. A. Dahl, "No association of depression and anxiety with the metabolic syndrome: the Norwegian HUNT study," Acta Psychiatr Scand, Vol.120, pp.14-22, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.2008.01315.x
- M. Zeman, M. Jachymová, R. Jirak, M. Vecka, E. Tvrzicka, B. Stankova, and A. Zak, "Polymorphisms of genes for brain-derived neurotrophic factor, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, tyrosine hydroxylase, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase in depression and metabolic syndrome," Folia Biol, Vol.56, No.1, pp.19-26, 2010.
- K. Gil, P. Radzillowicz and T. Zdrojewski, et al. "Relationship between the prevalence of depressive symptoms and metabolic syndrome: results of the SOPKARD project," Kardiol Pol, Vol.64, pp.464-469, 2006.
- T. Takeuchi, M. Nakao, and E. Yano, "Association of metabolic syndrome with depression and anxiety in Japanese men," Diabetes Metab, Vol.35, pp.32-36, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2008.06.006
- C. Muhtz, B. C. Zyriax, T. Klahn, E. Windler, and C. Otte, "Depressive symptoms and metabolic risk: effects of cortisol and gender," Psyconeuroendocrinology, Vol.34, pp.1004-1011, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2009.01.016
- 윤대현, 박진호, 조수철, 박민정, 김선신, 최승호 등, "한국 여성에서 우울증상과 대사증후군의 관련성", 대한비만학회지, 제14권, 제4호, pp.213-219, 2005.
- 전진혁, 김성희, "40세 이상 여성에서 우울, 스트레스와 건강행동 및 대사증후군의 관련성", 한국모자보건학회지, 제16권, 제2호, pp.263-273, 2012.
- 정재욱, 김철환, 신호철, 박용우, 정승엽, 성은주. "대사증후군과 스트레스, 우울증과의 연관성", 대한임상건강증진학회지, 제4권, 제1호, pp.10-17, 2004.
- 보건복지부, 질병관리본부. 국민건강영양조사 제5기(2010-2012) 지침서, 보건복지부, 질병관리본부, 2009
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels, K. A. Donato, R. H. Eckel, and B. A. Franklin, et al. "Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/ National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement," Circulation, Vol.112, No.17, pp.2735-2752, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169404
- 이은령, 강지혁, 정재필, "노인 우울에 미치는 요인", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제7호, pp.290-300, 2013.