- Volume 15 Issue 8
The aim of this study is to analyze the Weekend and January effect in the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE) using daily closing prices of GSE-All Share Index (ASI) and Composite Index (CI) between the period of January 4th, 2005 and December 31st, 2013. The dataset covers the period of 2005 to 2010 (6 years) for the ASI and 2011 to 2013 (3 years) for the CI. The following results are obtained based on a parametric regression using dummy variables. First, no weekly effect or anomaly is documented for both GSE-ASI and GSE-CI. Second, market abnormalities are captured for both GSE-ASI and GSE-CI over their respective entire periods. However, no consistent April effect is found for ASI when the period was segregated into two periods of three years. The April effect is uncovered for the GSE-ASI at 5% significant level while the January effect is found for the GSE-CI at 1% significant level.
Ghana Stock Exchange;Composite Index;Weekend Effect;January Effect
- Eugene F. Fama, "The Behavior Stock-Market Prices," The Journal of Business, Vol.38, No.1, pp.34-105, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1086/294743
- Kenneth R. French, "Stock Returns and the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.8, pp.55-69, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(80)90021-5
- Anup Agrawal and Kishore Tandon, "Anomalies or illusions: Evidence from Stock Market in Eighteen Countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol.13, pp.83-106, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5606(94)90026-4
- Felix Ayadi, Uric B. Dufrene, and Amitavana Chatterjee, "Stock Return Seasonalities in Low-Income African Emerging Markets," Managerial Finance, Vol.24 No.3, pp.22-33, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1108/03074359810765408
- Paul Alagidede and Theodore Panagiotidis," Calendar Anomalies in the Ghana Stock Exchange," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Vol.8, No.1, pp.1-23, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/097265270900800101
- Josef Lakonishok and Seymour Smidt, "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety Year Perspective," The Review of Financial Studies, Vol.1, No.4, pp.403-425, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/1.4.403
- T. K. Hui, "Day-of-the-week effect in US and Asia-Pacific Stock Markets during the Asian Financial Crises: a non parametric approach," The International Journal of Management Science, Vol.33, pp.227-282, 2005.
- Andrew Coutts and Mohamed A. Sheik, "The Anomalies that Aren't there: the weekend, January, and pre-holiday effects on the all gold index on Johannesburg Stock Exchange 1987-1997," Applied Financial Economics, Vol.12, pp.863-873, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09603100110052172
- Jeffery Jaffe and Randolph Westerfield, "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," The Journal of Finance, Vol.XI, No.2, pp.433-454, 1985
- Michael S. Rozeff and Williams R. Kinney Jr. "Capital Market Seasonality: The Case of Stock Returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.3, pp.379-402, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90028-3
- Robert A. Ariel, "A Monthly Effect in Stock Returns," Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Working Paper #1629-84, 1984.
- Robert A. Haugen and Philippe Jorion, "The January Effect: Still there after all these years," Financial Analysts Journal, pp.27-31, 1996.
- Mustafa N. Gultekin and N. Bulent Gultekin, "Stock Market Seasonality: International Evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.12, pp.469-481, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(83)90044-2
- Stilianos Fountas and Konstantinos N. Segredakis, "Emerging Stock Markets Return Seasonalities: the January effect and the tax loss selling hypothesis," Applied Financial Economics, Vol.12, pp.291-299, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09603100010000839
- Stijn Claessens, Susmita Dasgupta, and Jack Glen, " Return Behavior in Emerging Markets," The World Bank Economic Review, Vol.9, No.1, pp.131-151, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/9.1.131
- Richard H. Thaler, "Anomalies: The January Effect," Economic Perspective, Vol.1, No.1, pp.197-201, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.1.1.197
- L. Condoyanni, J. O' Hanlon, and C. W. R Ward, "Day of the Week Effects onStock Returns: International Evidence," Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol.14, No.2, pp.159-174, 1987.