- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Cash flow on the R&D investment of Pharmaceutical Companies - focused on KOSDAQ market
제약회사의 현금흐름이 연구개발투자에 미치는 영향 -코스닥시장을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.06.25
- Accepted : 2015.07.08
- Published : 2015.08.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the influence of the cash flow of pharmaceutical companies on R&D investment. 143 pharmaceutical companies listed in the KOSDAQ market from 2009 to 2013. Financial statements and comments in general and internal transactions were extracted from TS-2000 of the Korea Listed Company Association (KLCA), and data related to stock price was extracted from KISVALUE-III of NICE Information Service Co., Ltd. STATA 12.0 was used as the statistical package for panel analysis. The summary of the findings and the interpretation of the significance of this are as follows: First, the current ratio (internal finance) had a positive influence on R&D investment. Second, the debt ratio (external finance) had a negative influence on R&D investment. The pharmaceutical company prefers internal funds to external funds due to the asymmetry of information in the loan markets. In other words, this shows why internal finances have a significant influence on R&D investment at pharmaceutical companies.
Pharmaceutical Companies;R&D Investment;Cash Flow;Internal Finance;External Finance
- K. Arrow, "Economic welfare and the allocation of resources for invention, The rate and direction of inventive activity," Economic and social factors, pp.609-626, 1962.
- M. I. Kamien and N. L. Schwartz, "Self-Financing of an R and D Project," The American Economic Review, Vol.68, No.3, pp.252-261, 1978
- J. E. Stiglitz and A. Weiss, "Credit rationing in markets with imperfect information," The American economic review, Vol.71, No.3, pp.393-410, 1981
- S. C. Myers and N. S. Majluf, "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of financial economics, Vol.13, No.2, pp.187-22, 1984 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(84)90023-0
- S. Fazzari, R. G. Hubbard, and B. C. Petersen, "Financing constraints and corporate investment," National Bureau of Economic Research Cambridge, Mass., USA; 1988.
- D. R. Shin, "A Study on the Impact of Information Asymmetry on the Financial Structure of Korean Manufacturing Firms," Asian Review of Financial Research, Vol.5, pp.77-102, 1992.
- S. Y. Cho, S. W. Shin, and W. H. Lee, "The Impact of Financial Leverage on Firm Investment: Listed Manufacturing firm's Data for System-GMM Panel Analysis," Public Finance Forum, Vol.10, No.2, pp.41-74, 2004.
- M. Lee and M. Choi, "Analysis of Structural Relationships among Financial ratios of Regional Public Hospitals," Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol.26, No.6, pp.1517-1530, 2013
- C. W. Hill and S. A. Snell, "External control, corporate strategy, and firm performance in research‐intensive industries," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.9, No.6, pp.577-590, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250090605
- B. Baysinger and R. E. Hoskisson, "The composition of boards of directors and strategic control: Effects on corporate strategy," Academy of Management Review, Vol.15, No.1, pp.72-87, 1990.
- R. Kochhar and P. David, "Institutional investors and firm innovation: A test of competing hypotheses," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.17, No.1, pp.73-84, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199601)17:1<73::AID-SMJ795>3.0.CO;2-N
- P. David, M. A. Hitt, and J. Gimeno, "The influence of activism by institutional investors on R&D," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, No.1, pp.144-157, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069342
- R. E. Hoskisson, M. A. Hitt, R, A. Johnson, and W. Grossman, "Conflicting voices: The effects of institutional ownership heterogeneity and internal governance on corporate innovation strategies," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.25, No.4, pp.697-716, 2002.
- J. H. Choi, "The Effect of Advertising and Research and Development Expenditures on the Firm Value: An Empitical Analysis by Tobin's Q," Korean Accounting Review, Vol.19, No.1, pp.103-124, 1994.
- M. Lee, "Impact of corporate governance on research & development investment in the pharmaceutical industry in South Korea," Osong Public Health And Research Perspectives, doi: 10.1016/j.phrp.2015.07.003, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2015.07.003
- H. G. Grabowski and J. Vernon, "The distribution of sales revenues from pharmaceutical innovation," Pharmacoeconomics, Vol.19, No.1, pp.21-32, 2000.
- JA. Vernon, "Examining the link between price regulation and pharmaceutical R&D investment," Health economics, Vol.14, No.1, pp.1-16, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.897
- C. P. Himmelberg and B. C. Petersen, "R & D and internal finance: A panel study of small firms in high-tech industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, pp.38-51, 1994.
- S. Bhagat and I. Welch, "Corporate research & development investments international comparisons," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol.19, No.2, pp.443-470, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(94)00391-H
- M. Lee and M. Choi, "The relationship between R&D investment and ownership structure in KOSDAQ pharmaceutical firms," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.6, pp.:445-54, 2015
- B. H. Hall, "Investment and research and development at the firm level: does the source of financing matter?," National Bureau of Economic Research, 1992.
- M. Lee and M, Choi, "Analysis on time lag effect of R&D investment in the pharmaceutical industry in Korea," Osong Public Health And Research Perspectives, doi: 10.1016/j.phrp.2015.07.001, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2015.07.001