- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Educational Use of Emotion Measurement Technologies
감성측정 테크놀로지의 교육적 활용방안 탐색
- Received : 2015.04.13
- Accepted : 2015.05.20
- Published : 2015.08.28
Recent research shows that emotion is closely related to memory and learning. Although a growing number of educators have high interest in affective aspects of learning processes and outcomes, there are few studies to investigate systematically instructional strategies and learning environments based on learners' emotion. Despite the efforts to understand the role of emotion and to facilitate positive emotion for meaningful learning in face-to-face and online environments, it is still a challenging issue to measure emotion in a valid and reliable way. To implement emotion-based education, it is essential to overcome the limitation of self-report surveys on emotion, which rely on the memory of learners. The current study surveyed emotion measurement tools, which are recently developed in education and other domains, in terms of self-report, neurophysiology, and behavioral responses. This study also discussed how emotion measurement tools can be used in authentic learning and teaching situations. Particularly, this study focused on cutting-edge technologies that would enable educators to collect and analyze learners' emotion easily in real-world contexts. This study will contribute to the research about the role of emotion in education and the design of adaptive learning environments that consider the change of learners' emotion.
Supported by : 서울대학교 사범대학
- 김민성, "학습상황에서 정서의 존재", 아시아교육연구, 제10권, 제1호, pp.73-98, 2009.
- D. Meyer and J. Turner, "Discovering emotion in classroom motivation research," Educational Psychologist, Vol.37, No.2, pp.107-114, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326985EP3702_5
- 박완성, 정구철, "대학생의 학습전략과 부정적 정서, 학업적. 사회적 적응이 성적에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제3호, pp.490-499, 2014.
- 박태정, 임철일, 김광일, "디지털교과서 커뮤니케이션 환경에 감성적 반응유발가능성을 위한 이모티콘 지원도구 개발에 관한 연구", 교육정보미디어연구, 제18권, 제2호, pp.199-225, 2012.
- H. Astleitner, "Designing emotionally sound instruction-An empirical validation of the FEASP-approach," Journal of instructional Psychology, Vol.28, No.4, pp.209-219, 2001.
- E. Um, J. Plass, E. Hayward, and B. Homer, "Emotional Design in Multimedia Learning," Journal of educational psychology, Vol.104, No.2, pp.485-498, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026609
- 김은주, 박해정, 김주환, "교육에서의 긍정적 감성의 역할", 감성과학, 제13권, 제1호, pp.225-234, 2010.
- 이현희, 김은정, 이민규, "한국판 정적 정서 및 부적 정서 척도의 타당화 연구", 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제22권, 제4호, pp.935-946, 2003.
- C. Chen and Y. Sun, "Assessing the effects of different multimedia materials on emotions and learning performance for visual and verbal style learners," Computers & Education, Vol.59, No.4, pp.1273-1285, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2012.05.006
- I. Mauss and M. Robinson, "Measures of emotion: A review," Cognition and emotion, Vol.23, No.2, pp.209-237, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699930802204677
- V. Tran, "The use, overuse, and misuse of affect, mood, and emotion in organizational research," In Research on emotion in organizations, Vol.3, pp.31-53, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1746-9791(07)03002-7
- R. Pekrun, "The control-value theory of achievement emotions: Assumptions, corollaries, and implications for educational research and practice," Educational Psychology Review, Vol.18, No.4, pp.315-341, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-006-9029-9
- E. Linnenbrink, "Emotion research in education: Theoretical and methodological perspectives on the integration of affect, motivation, and cognition," Educational Psychology Review, Vol.18, No.4, pp.307-314, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-006-9028-x
- J. Forgas, "Affect and social judgments: an introductory review," Emotion and social judgments, 1991.
- J. Kelly and S. Barsade, "Mood and emotions in small groups and work teams," Organizational behavior and human decision processes, Vol.86, No.1, pp.99-130, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.2001.2974
- A. Damasio, "Descartes' error: Emotion, reason and the human brain," Avon Books(New York), 1994.
- C. Becker-Asano and W. Ipke, "Affective computing with primary and secondary emotions in a virtual human," Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, Vol.20, No.1, pp.32-49, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10458-009-9094-9
- P. Ekman and W. Friesen, "Unmasking the face: A guide to recognizing emotions from facial clues," ISHK., 2003.
- 박태정, 이러닝 환경에서의 감성적 어포던스 설계원리 개발, 서울대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2015.
- 이주영, 또래 괴롭힘 상황에서 지각된 위협 수준에 따른 중학교의 친사회적 정서와 도움 의도 분석, 서울대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2014.
- H. Suk, "Color and Emotion-a study on the affective judgment across media and in relation to visual stimuli," 2006.
- L. Shen, M. Wang, and R. Shen, "Affective e-Learning: Using Emotional Data to Improve Learning in Pervasive Learning Environment," Educational Technology & Society, Vol.12, No.2, pp.176-189, 2009.
- J. Grant and L. Linda, "Selection and use of content experts for instrument development," Research in nursing & health, Vol.20, No.3, pp.269-274, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-240X(199706)20:3<269::AID-NUR9>3.0.CO;2-G
- D. Watson, L. Clark, and A. Tellegen, "Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the PANAS scales," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol.54, No.6, p.1063, 1988 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- 석현정, 정상훈, 박종민, 박진영, 정은빛, "사진 이미지의 색조 변화에 따른 감성적 반응연구", 디자인학연구, 제20권, 제5호, pp.229-238, 2007.
- R. Cowie, E. Douglas-Cowie, S. Savvidou, E. McMahon, M. Sawey, and M. Schroder, "FEELTRACE: An instrument for recording perceived emotion in real time," In ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshop on Speech and Emotion, 2000.
- Y. Liu, O. Sourina, and M. Nguyen, "Real-time EEG-based emotion recognition and its applications," In Transactions on computational science XII, Springer(Heidelberg, Berlin), pp.256-277, 2011.
- H. Yoon, S. Park, Y. Lee, and J. Jang, "Emotion recognition of serious game players using a simple brain computer interface," In ICT Convergence, International Conference on IEEE, pp.783-786, 2013.
- L. Marzetti, S. Della Penna, A. Snyder, V. Pizzella, G. Nolte, F. de Pasquale, and M. Corbetta, "Frequency specific interactions of MEG resting state activity within and across brain networks as revealed by the multivariate interaction measure," Neuroimage, Vol.79, pp.172-183, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.04.062
- G. Ranky and S. Adamovich, "Analysis of a commercial EEG device for the control of a robot arm," In Bioengineering Conference, Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE 36th Annual Northeast, pp.1-2, 2010.
- M. van Dooren, J. de Vries, and J. Janssen, "Emotional sweating across the body: Comparing 16 different skin conductance measurement locations," Physiology & behavior, Vol.106, No.2, pp.298-304, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2012.01.020
- R. McCraty, M. Atkinson, W. Tiller, G. Rein, and A. Watkins, "The effects of emotions on short-term power spectrum analysis of heart rate variability," The American journal of cardiology, Vol.76, No.14, pp.1089-1093, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(99)80309-9
- S. Koolagudi and K. Rao, "Emotion recognition from speech: a review," International Journal of Speech Technology, Vol.15, No.2, pp.99-117, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10772-011-9125-1
- J. Cohn, Z. Ambadar, and P. Ekman, "Observer-based measurement of facial expression with the Facial Action Coding System," In A. James and J. John, The handbook of emotion elicitation and assessment, Oxford University Press(New York), pp.203-221, 2007.
- M. Den Uyl and H. Van Kuilenburg, "The FaceReader: Online facial expression recognition," In Proceedings of Measuring Behavior, Vol.30, pp.589-590, 2005.
- J. Harley, F. Bouchet, and R. Azevedo, "Aligning and Comparing Data on Emotions Experienced during Learning with MetaTutor," In Artificial Intelligence in Education, Springer(Heidelberg, Berlin), pp.61-70, 2013.
- E. Kanjo and A. Chamberlain, "Emotions in context: examining pervasive affective sensing systems, applications, and analyses," In Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 2015.
- H. Pitterman and S. Nowicki, "A test of the ability to identify emotion in human standing and sitting postures: The Diagnostic Analysis of Nonverbal Accuracy-2 Posture Test (DANVA2-POS)," Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, Vol.130, No.2, pp.146-162, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3200/MONO.130.2.146-162
- T. Shibata and Y. Kijima, "Emotion recognition modeling of sitting postures by using pressure sensors and accelerometers," In Pattern Recognition, 21st International Conference on, pp.1124-1127, 2012.
- E. Dresner and S. Herring, "Functions of the nonverbal in CMC: Emoticons and illocutionary force," Communication Theory, Vol.20, No.3, pp.249-268, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2885.2010.01362.x
- D. Derks, A. Bos, and J. Von Grumbkow, "Emoticons and online message interpretation," Social Science Computer Review, Vol.26, No.3, pp.379-388, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439307311611
- 권영옥, "빅데이터를 활용한 맞춤형 교육 서비스 활성화 방안연구", 지능정보연구, 제19권, 제2호, pp.87-100, 2013.
- D. Rubio, M. Berg-Weger, S. Tebb, E. Lee, and S. Rauch, "Objectifying content validity: Conducting a content validity study in social work research," Social Work Research, Vol.27, No.2, pp.94-104, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/27.2.94
- Y. Kim and Y. Cho, "The Second Leap Toward "World Class" Education in Korea," The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, Vol.23, No.4, pp.783-794, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40299-013-0144-3
- 문익수, 박중길, 문창일, "STAD모형의 체육수업이 중학생의 자아존중감과 정서에 미치는 효과", 코칭능력개발지, 제8권, 제4호, pp.195-206, 2006.
- H. Schmidt, J. Rotgans, and E. Yew, "The process of problem-based learning: What works and why. Medical Education," Vol.45, No.8, pp.792-806, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2011.04035.x
- 이정희, 이재무, "HCI 이론에 기반한 게임형 학습 프로그램 평가 준거 개발 및 적용", 정보교육학회논문지, 제11권, 제1호, pp.1-10, 2007.
- D. Goleman, Emotional intelligence, Bantam Books(New York), 1995.
- 이성숙, "실과 가정영역에서 오감활용 감성교육 방안 연구", 한국실과교육학회지, 제26권, 제4호, pp.21-42, 2013.
- 정구철, "대학생의 부정적 정서가 자살생각에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제14 호, pp.775-784, 2014.
- N. Peira, M. Fredrikson, and G. Pourtois, "Controlling the emotional heart: Heart rate biofeedback improves cardiac control during emotional reactions," International Journal of Psychophysiology, Vol.91, No.3, pp.225-231, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2013.12.008
- A. Whited, K. Larkin, and M. Whited, "Effectiveness of emWave Biofeedback in Improving Heart Rate Variability Reactivity to and Recovery from Stress," Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Vol.39, No.2, pp.75-88, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-014-9243-z
- 김상운, "학교폭력으로 인한 두려움이 청소년의 반응에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제8호, pp.152-159, 2013.
- M. Chiu, C. Chou, W. Wu, and H. Liaw, "The role of facial microexpression state (FMES) change in the process of conceptual conflict," British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol.45, No.3, pp.471-486, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjet.12126
- 홍예윤, 임연욱, "테크놀로지를 활용한 교사의 확신(self-confidence)에 영향을 미치는 요인 탐색", 디지털융복합연구, 제10권, 제11호, pp.565-577, 2012.
- 전수진, 한선관, "최신 정보기술에 대한 초등교사의인식과 태도에 관한 연구 : S-Learning, SNS, Web3.0 기술 중심으로", 정보교육학회논문지, 제16권, 제1호, pp.635-648, 2005.
- 정효일, 박태선, 이배환, 윤성현, 이우영, 김왕배, "감성과학을 위한 측정기법의 최근 연구 동향", 감성과학, 제13권, 제1호, pp.235-242, 2010.
- A. Kapoor and R. Picard, "Multimodal affect recognition in learning environments," In Proceedings of the 13th annual ACM international conference on Multimedia, pp.677-682, 2005.
- A. Jaimes and N. Sebe, "Multimodal human- computer interaction: A survey. Computer vision and image understanding," Vol.108, No.1, pp.116-134, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2006.10.019
- J. Harley, F. Bouchet, M. Hussain, R. Azevedo, R. Calvo, "A multi-componential analysis of emotions during complex learning with an intelligent multi-agent system," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.48, pp.615-625, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.02.013
- R. Pekrun, T. Goetz, W. Titz, and R. Perry, "Academic emotions in students' selfregulated learning and achievement: A program of qualitative and quantitative research," Educational Psychologist, Vol.37, No.2, pp.91-105, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326985EP3702_4
- T. Anderson and J. Shattuck, "Design-based research a decade of progress in education research," Educational Researcher, Vol.41, No.1, pp.16-25, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X11428813
- A. Brown, "Design experiments: Theoretical and methodological challenges in creating complex interventions in classroom settings," Journal of the Learning Sciences, Vol.2, No.2, pp.141-178, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327809jls0202_2