- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Ice Load Characteristics between General and Ice-breaking Operations in Ice-covered Waters
빙해지역 일반 운항 및 쇄빙 운항 시의 빙하중 특성 비교 연구
Lee, Min-Woo;Kwon, Yong-Hyeon;Rim, Chae-Whan;Lee, Tak-Kee
- Received : 2014.07.21
- Accepted : 2015.02.09
- Published : 2015.02.28
The icebreaking research vessel ARAON had her second ice trial in the Arctic Ocean from July 16 to August 12, 2010. In this study, the ice loads measured during the “general” operation and “ice breaking” operation in ice-covered waters were analyzed and compared. Whereas the “general” operation stands for the voyage in the water partially covered by ice, the “ice breaking” operation involved substantial ice floes for the ice breaking performance test. Based on the measured data, comparisons of the relationship between the ship speed and ice load, and between the locations of strain gauges and ice loads were investigated. Peak stresses higher than 20 MPa were found. The longitudinal and vertical correlations between the measurement location and ice load were analyzed, and the probability of peak stress was calculated. As a result, the probability function for higher ice loads during both operation modes was expressed in an exponential and power forms.
Ice load;Ice-breaking;Icebreaker;Correlation between measuring location and ice load;Ship speed-ice load curve;Probability density function
- Choi, K.S., Lee, C.J., Rim, C.W., Kim, H.S., 2011. Strength Characteristics of Arctic Sea Ice from Ice Field Tests of the Icebreaking Research Vessel ARAON. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(3), 254-259. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.3.254
- Jeong, S.Y., Lee, C.J., 2012. Measurement of Sea Ice Thickness in the Arctic Ocean Using an Electromagnetic Induction Instrument. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(2), 189-195. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.2.189
- Kim, H.S., Lee, C.J., Choi, K.S., Kim, M.C., 2011a. Study on Icebreaking Performance of the Korea Icebreaker ARAON in the Arctic Sea. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 3, 208-215. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2011.3.3.208
- Kim, H.S., Lee, C.J., Jeong, S.Y., Choi, K.S., 2011b. A Study on the Speed Sea Trial on the Ice Field for Ice Breaking Research Vessel "Araon". Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(5), 421-425. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.5.421
- Lee, T.K., Kim, T.W., Rim, C.W., Kim, H.S. 2014. A Study on Analysis of Ice Load Measured during the Voyage in the Arctic Sea. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(2), 107-113. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.2.107
- Lee, T.K., Lee, J.H., Rim, C.W., Choi, K.S., 2013. Effects of Ship Speed and Ice Thickness on Local Ice Loads Measured in Arctic Sea. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 27(5), 82-87. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.5.082
- Likhomanov, V., 2010. Full-scale Ice Trials of the Korean Research Icebreaker ARAON. Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute Scientific-Technical Report.
- St. John, J.W. and Minnick, P.V., 1995. Ice Load Impact Study on the National Science Foundation's Research Vessel Nathaniel B. Palmer. Report No. SSC-376, Ship Structural Committee.
- Yang, Y.K., 2012, Sports Statistics Using SPSS Statistics. Yidam-Books: Seoul.