- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on Cryogenic Mechanical Behavior of 6000 Series Aluminum Alloys
6000계열 알루미늄 합금의 극저온 기계적 거동 연구
Park, Doo-Hwan;Kim, Jeong-Hyeon;Choi, Sung-Woong;Lee, Jae-Myung
- Received : 2014.11.18
- Accepted : 2015.02.09
- Published : 2015.02.28
In this study, tensile tests were performed on aluminum alloys (AA6061 and AA6082) to investigate their mechanical behaviors at cryogenic temperatures. The temperature was varied from 110 K up to 293 K, and quasi-static strain rates of 10−4 s−1 −10−2 s−1 were taken into account for the tests. The experimental results were analyzed to find the dependence on the temperature, strain rate, and fractured surfaces. As a result, it was found that the strength and elongation of the aluminum alloys were improved when the temperature was decreased. In addition, it was confirmed that the mechanical behaviors of the aluminum alloys were not dependant on the strain rate. Under a tensile load, two types of fractures were seen in the aluminum alloys: cup-cone (AA6061) and shear (AA6082).
Aluminum Alloy;Cryogenic Temperature;Mechanical Property;Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Aval, H.J., Serajzadeh, S., Kokabi, A.H., 2011. Evolution of Microstructures and Mechanical Properties in Similar and Dissimilar Friction Stir Welding of AA5086 and AA6061. Materials Science and Engineering A, 528(28), 8071-8083. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.07.056
- Callister, W.D., 2006. Materials Science and Engineering and Introduction. 7th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Darras, B.M., Abed, F.H., Pervaiz, S., Abdu-Latif, A., 2013. Analysis of Damage in 5083 Aluminum Alloy Deformed at Different Strain Rates. Materials Science and Engineering A, 568, 143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2013.01.039
- Fan, X., Suo, T., Sun, Q., Wang, T., 2013. Dynamic Mechanical Behavior of 6061 al Alloy at Elevated Temperatures and Different Strain Rates. Acta Materialia, 26(2), 111-120.
- Gere, J.M., Goodno, B.J., 2009. Mechanics of Materials. 7th Edition, Cengage Learning, Toronto.
- Kim, K.S., Boo, S.H., Park, C.Y., Cho, Y.G., Lee, J.S., 2008. An Experimental Study on the Tensile and Fatigue Strengths of SUS304L Lap Joint Weld at the Cryogenic Temperature. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 22(3), 96-102 (In Korean).
- Kim, J.H., Park, W.S., Chun, M.S., Kim, J.J., Bae, J.H., Kim, M.H., Lee, J.M., 2012. Effect of Pre-straining on Low-temperature Mechanical Behavior of AISI 304L. Materials Science and Engineering A, 543, 50-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.02.044
- Kim, J.K., Kim, C.S, Kim, D.S., Yoon I.S., 2000. Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior of Membrane Material for LNG Storage Tank at Low Temperatures. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 14(1), 23-28 (In Korean).
- Lee, K.J., Kim, T.W., Yoo, J.S., Yoo, S.W., Chun, M.S., Lee, J.M., 2008. Development of Temperature Dependent Damage Model for Evaluating Material Performance under Cryogenic Environment. Journal of Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 45(5), 538-546 (In Korean). https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2008.45.5.538
- Lee, K,Y., Kim, T,H., Lee, H,Y., 2009. Acquirement of True Stress-strain Curve Using True Fracture Strain Obtained by Tensile Test and FE Analysis. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, 33(10), 1054-1164. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.10.1054
- Mahabunphachai, S., Koc, M., 2010. Investigations on Forming of Aluminum 5052 and 6061 Sheet Alloys at Warm Temperatures. Materials & Design, 31(5), 2422-2434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.11.053
- Moreira, P.M.G.P., Santos, T., Tavares, S.M.O., Trummer, V.R., Vilaca, P., Castro, P.M.S.T., 2009. Mechanical and Metallurgical Characterization of Friction Stir Welding Joints of AA6061-T6 with AA6082-T6. Materials & Design, 30(1), 180-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2008.04.042
- Nam, K.W., 2001. Life Prediction of Fatigue Crack Propagation and Nondestructive Evaluation in 5083 Aluminum Alloy. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 15(2), 94-98 (In Korean).
- Nam, K.W., Lee, K.C., 2003. Frequency Characteristics of Acoustic Emission Singnal from Fatigue Crack Propagation in 5083 Aluminum by Joint Time-frequency Analysis Method. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 17(3), 46-51 (In Korean).
- Park, W.S., Chun, M.S., Han, M.S., Kim, M.H., Lee, J.M., 2011. Comparative Study on Mechanical Behavior of Low Temperature Application Materials for Ships and Offshore Structures: Part I-Experimental Investigations. Materials Science and Engineering A, 528(18), 5790-5803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.04.032
- Picu, R.C., Vincze, G., Ozturk, F., Gracio, J.J., Barlat, F., Maniatty, A.M., 2005. Strain Rate Sensitivity of the Commercial Aluminum Alloy AA5182-O. Materials Science and Engineering A, 390(1-2), 334-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2004.08.029
- Ugural, A.C., Fenster, S.K., 2003. Advanced Strength and Applied Elasticity. 4th Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- The Design, Structural Analysis and High Pressure Chamber Test of a Thick Pressure Cylinder for 2000 m Water Depth vol.53, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2016.53.2.144