- Volume 28 Issue 3
Animal glue is a traditional material that was used widely as an adhesive in cultural artifacts, such as Buddhist paintings, dancheong (traditional multicolored paintwork on wooden buildings), mother-of-pearl inlay, and so on. Spectroscopic methods, such as infrared spectroscopy, have been used for the analysis of animal glue. However, such methods do not yield sufficient information about the constituents of the glue. Because pyrolysis/GC/MS analysis is able to estimate the components of a material through the examination of its pyrolyzed products, it is useful for the analysis of polymeric material. In this study, pyrolysis/GC/MS analysis was used to determine the chemical composition of animal glue. The appropriate conditions for analyzing animal glue were established by examining pyrolysis temperature, quantity of the sample, and the repeatability of the method. Some products of pyrolysis were identified. We also analyzed commercial gelatin and animal glue using the established method and found almost no differences in chromatograms among the samples. The results will be used as supporting data to confirm the use of animal glue in cultural artifacts and to replace traditional animal glue by commercial gelatin.
animal glue;cultural heritage;pyrolysis/GC/MS;gelatin
- E. K. Kim, D. Park and S. Jang, J. of Adhesion and Interface, 14(3), 128-134 (2013). https://doi.org/10.17702/jai.2013.14.3.128
- P. Vandenabeele, B. Wehling, L. Moens, H. Edwards, M. De Reu and G. Van Hooydonk, Analytica Chimica Acta, 407, 261-274 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(99)00827-2
- S. Dallongeville, M. Koperska, N. Garnier, G. Reille-Taillefert, C. Rolando and C. Tokarski, Anal. Chem., 83, 9431-9437 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1021/ac201978j
- H. Ling, N. Maiqian, G. Chiavari and R. Mazzeo, Microchem. J., 85, 347-353 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2006.08.003
- M. J. Casas-Cataln and M. T. Domnech-Carb, Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 382, 259-268 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-005-3064-0
- I. Bonaduce and M. P. Colombini, J. Chromatogr. A, 1028, 297-306 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2003.11.086
Gelatin Manufacturers Association Asia Pacific,
http://www.gmap-gelatin.com/about_gelatin_AminoAcidComp. html, accessed 3 March 2015.
- J. H. Park, S. H. Jeong, I. J. Kim and Y. J. Chung, J. of Conservation Sci., 29(1), 25-33 (2013). https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2013.29.1.03
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage, '2011 Planning on the Development of Restoration Technology for Traditional Crafts Material', Daejeon, 2011.
- E. Imperio, G. Giancane and L. Valli, Anal. Chem., 85, 7085-7093 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1021/ac401067r
The Academy of Korean Studies, Encyclopedia of Korean Culture,
http://encykorea.aks.ac.kr/Contents/Index? contents_id=E0034215, accessed 3 March 2015.
Korea Creative Contents Agency,
http://www.culturecontent.com/content/contentView.do?search_div_id=CP_THE011&cp_code=cp0436&index_id=cp04360367&content_id=cp043603670001&search_left_menu=9, accessed 3 March 2015.
- H. B. Sweatt, J. of Chemical Education, 23(4), 192-194 (1946). https://doi.org/10.1021/ed023p192
- Y. Liu, X. Liu and X. Wang, Nanoscale Res. Lett., 6, 22 (2011).
- Confirming Animal Glue in Dancheong Sample by Pyrolysis/GC/MS vol.32, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2016.32.1.03