- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Distribution characteristics on volatile organic compounds at the forest of Mt. mudeung and downtown
무등산 숲과 도심에서 휘발성유기화합물질의 분포 특성
- Lee, Dae-haeng ;
- Park, Kang-soo ;
- Lee, Se-hang ;
- Song, Hyeong-myeong ;
- Lee, Ki-won ;
- Jeong, Hee-yoon ;
- Seo, Gwang-yeob ;
- Cho, Young-gwan ;
- Kim, Eun-sun
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.06.16
- Published : 2015.06.25
From 2013 to 2014, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were analyzed to determine biogenic volatile organic compounds (BVOCs) and anthropogenic volatile organic compounds (AVOCs) at eight sites in Mt. Mudeung and one site in downtown, by using a GC/Mass-ATD (automatic thermal desorber). The concentration of terpene noted as biogenic volatile organic compounds at Pungamjeong (PA), in a forest of Chamaecyparis obtusa, was 821 pptv, which was the highest among the eight sites. This value was followed by Wonhyogyegok (WH: 785 pptv), Norritzae (NZ, coniferous forest: 679 pptv), Dongjeokgol (DJ, mixed species forest: 513 pptv), Jangbuljae (JB, Abies koreana: 476 pptv), and Seinbongsamgerri (SS, pine trees: 464 pptv). 11~15 species of terpene was detected in the forest depending on the site. At PA in May, α-pinene showed the highest value, occupied 20% of terpene followed by coumarin, sabinene, phellandrene, myrcene, borneol, eucalyptol, β-pinene, cymene, δ-limonene, γ-terpinene, camphor, camphene, and mentol in the order. The mean concentrations of AVOCs were 0.74~2.52 ppbv in the forests and 3.14 ppbv in the downtown area. From May to July, the AVOCs ratios of the downtown to each forest were 1.9~4.0. Among 10 species of AVOCs, the sum of toluene and benzene was 2.34 ppbv and occupied 75%. In June, the ratios of toluene were 44.1% at DJ site and 53.1% at JW site (downtown). The BVOCs showed a positive correlation with the AVOCs at the forest sites (r = 0.328), which was statistically insignificant (p = 0.184).
biogenic volatile organic compounds;anthropogenic volatile organic compounds;terpene;forest;downtown
- H. Y. Kang, 'The Secret of Phytoncide', History-Net Press, 66-68 (2003).
- A. Rivoal, C. Fernandez, A. V. Lavoir, R. Olivier, C. Lecareux, S. Greff, P. Roche and B. Vila, Chemosphere, 78, 942-949 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.12.047
- D. Y. Ji, S. Y. Kim and J. S. Han. J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 18(6), 515-525 (2002).
- H. C. Kim and K. H. Lee, J. Kor. Soc. for Environ. Sci., 19(5), 627-637 (2010).
- National Institute of Environmental Research, Final Report (2012), Korea University, 1-41, Republic of Korea.
- G. J. Kim, J. C. Kim and J. H. Lim, J. Kor. Soc. for Environ. Analysis, 8(3), 132-136 (2005).
- D. H. Lee, S. S. An, H. M. Song, O. H. Park, K. S. Park, G. Y. Seo, Y. G. Cho and E. S. Kim, Environ. Health Sci., 40(3), 204-214 (2014).
- Ministry of Environment, Indoor Air Pollution Test Method, 17-22 (2010).
- Ministry of Environment, Air Pollution Test Method, 862-863 (2008).
- Jeonnam Institute of Health and Environment, Research Seminar for Health and Environment, 65-81 (2008).
- N. S. Kong, H. S. Choi, J. H. Byun, J. S. Park, H. Y. Lee, The Report of Health and Environment Research Institute of Gyungnam, 153-169 (2010).
- G. Y. Her, 'Long-term Analysis of Ozone Concentration on the Ground of Seoul Area using KZ Filter', Master Dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul (2000).
- D. H. Lee, M. H. Kim, H. J. Seo, G. W. Min, S. H. Kim, G. Y. Seo, W. S. Jeong, Y. J. Kang, K. W. An, K. J. Baik, Y. W. Moon and E. S. Kim, J. Environ. Sci., 21(10), 1221-1234 (2012).
- D. H. Lee, M. H. Kim, O. H. Park, K. S. Park, S. S. An, H. J. Seo, S. H. Jin, W. S. Jeong, Y. J. Kang, K. W. An and E. S. Kim, J. Environ. Health Sci., 39(3), 211-222 (2013).
- M. S. Her, ‘Characteristics of VOCs‘ Behavior in air during High Concentration Ozone in Summer’, Master Dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul (2007).
- H. J. Jeong, 'A Study on the Development of Ozone Forecast System and the Variation of Ozone Concentration by Photochemical Reaction at the air of Daejeon Area', Ph. D. Dissertation, Wongwang University, Jeonju, Jeollabukdo (2001).
- J. H. Lim, 'A Comparison Study on Emission Rates of Natural VOC from Coniferous Trees', Master Dissertation, Gunguk University, Seoul (2004).
- B. S. Lee, A Study on Natural Season of Korea, Geography, 14(2), 1-11 (1979).
- W. S. Shin and S. G. Kim, J. Kor. Forest Soc., 96(2), 203-207 (2007).
- Korea forest Research Institute, ‘Development of Health Healing Program using Forest’, Korea Forest Service (2011).
- J. C. Kim, J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 35, 3279- 3292 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00522-7
- J. C. Kim, J. H. Hong, C. H. Gang, W. Y. Sun, K. J. Kim and J. H. Lim, J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 20(2), 175-183 (2004).
- D. Harrison, M. C. Hunter, A. C. Lewis, P. W. Seakins, T. W. Nunes and C. A. Pio, J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 35, 4687-4698 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00092-9
- M. Staudt, N. Bertin, U. Hansen, G. Seufert, P. Ciccioli, P. Foster, B. Frenxel, J. L. Fugit and L. Torres, J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 31, 145-156 (1997).
- J. C. Kim, J. Kor. Soc. for Atmos. Environ., 17(E2), 61-70 (2001).
- K. W. Kim, J. Kor. Soc. for Plant Human Environ., 9(4), 111-123 (2006).
- M. J. Kim, Y. H. Choi, J. W. Lee, B. J. Park and Y. J. Jeon, J. Kor. Soc. of Environ. and Ecology proceeding thesis, 97-101 (2007).
- Characteristics and distribution of terpenes in South Korean forests vol.41, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s41610-017-0038-z