- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Egg White Consumption on Immune Modulation in a Mouse Model of Trimellitic Anhydride-induced Allergy
Kim, Ji-Hyuk;Song, Hyuk;Kim, Hyoun Wook;Lee, Won-Young
- 투고 : 2015.03.23
- 심사 : 2015.05.18
- 발행 : 2015.06.30
Egg allergy has been shown to be the most common food allergy in children with atopic dermatitis. Allergic reactions to proteins derived from egg white (EW) are more common than those derived from egg yolk. Ovomucoid, ovalbumin, ovotransferrin, and lysozyme have been identified as major allergens in EW. This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of EW on immune modulation in an induced allergy mouse model. A total of 50 five-week-old BALB/c male mice were treated with trimellitic anhydride (TMA) for three weeks to induce allergy-like symptoms. The TMA-treated mice were rested for one week and then divided into five groups and fed 0, 10, 50, and 100 mg/d EW for four weeks. All EW consumption groups showed no significant increase or decrease in the populations of white blood cells; however, a significant increase in B-lymphocyte activity was observed in the fourth week. Furthermore, EW consumption did not influence serum immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin E levels. Taken together, these data demonstrate that the consumption of EW by TMA-treated mice did not increase allergic parameters such as serum IgE level, but enhanced the lymphocyte activities against pathogens. Therefore, this study suggests that the consumption of EW promotes Th2 immune modulation, and EW could be an excellent candidate for maintaining health.
egg white;allergen;immunoglobulin;lymphocyte activation
- Seder, R. A., Paul, W. E., Davis, M. M., and Fazekas, de St. Groth, B. (1995) The presence of interleukin 4 during in vitro priming determines the lymphokine-producing potential of CD4+ T cells from T cell receptor transgenic mice. J. Exp. Med. 176, 1091-1098.
- Song, H., Park, J. K., Kim, H. W., and Lee, W. Y. (2014) Effect of egg white consumption on allergy, immune modulation, and blood cholesterol levels in BALB/c mice. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 34, 630-637. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.5.630
- Zahorec, R. (2001) Ratio of neutrophil to lymphocyte countsrapid and simple parameter of systemic inflammation and stress in critically ill. Bratisl. Lek. Listy. 102, 5-14.
- Kips, J. C., Tavernier, J. H., Joos, G. F., Peleman, R. A., and Pauwels, R. A. (1993) The potential role of tumour necrosis factor alpha in asthma. Clin. Exp. Allergy 23, 247-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.1993.tb00317.x
- Rona, R. J., Keil, T., Summers, C., Gislason, D., Zuidmeer, L., Sodergren, E., Sigurdardottir, S. T., Lindner, T., Goldhahn, K., Dahlstrom, J., McBride, D., and Madsen, C. (2007) The prevalence of food allergy: A meta-analysis. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 120, 638-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2007.05.026
- Lee, W. Y., Lee, R., Kim, H. C., Lee, K. H., Noh, K. S., Kim, H. W., Kim, J. H., Ahn, D. U., Jang, I. S., Jang, A., Lee, H. T., and Song, H. (2013) Consumption of water-soluble egg yolk extract on growth rate, changes in blood cholesterol levels, and immune modulation in BALB/c mice. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 33, 587-594. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.5.587
- Nickel, R., Kulig, M., Foster, J., Bergmann, R., Bauer, C. P., Lau, S., Gluggenmoos-Holzmann, I., and Wahn, U. (1997) Sensitization to hen's egg at the age of twelve months is predictive for allergic sensitization to common indoor and outdoor allergens at the age of three years. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 99, 614-617.
- Okamoto, S., Taniuchi, S., Sudo, K., Hatano, Y., Nakano, K., Shimo, T., and Kaneko, K. (2012) Predictive value of IgE/IgG4 antibody ratio in children with egg allergy. Allergy Asthma Clin. Immunol. 8, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1710-1492-8-9
- Sailstad, D. M., Ward, M. D. W., Boykin, E. H., and Selgrade, M. K. (2003) A murine model for low molecular weight chemicals: Differentiation of respiratory sensitizers (TMA) from contact sensitizers (DNFB). J. Toxicol. 194, 147-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00338-X
- Sampson, H. A. (2004) Update on food allergy. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 113, 805-819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.03.014
- Dearman, R. J., Warbrick, E. V., Skinner, R., and Kimber, I. (2002) Cytokine fingerprinting of chemical allergens: Species comparison and statistical analyses. Food Chem. Toxicol. 40, 1881-1892. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00179-5
- Heine, R. G., Laske, N., and Hill, D. J. (2006) The diagnosis and management of egg allergy. Curr. Allergy Asthma Rep. 6, 145-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11882-006-0053-0
- Hsieh, C. S., Heimberger, A. B., Gold, J. S., O’Garra, A., and Murphy, K. M. (1992) Differential regulation of T helper phenotype development by interleukins 4 and 10 in an αβ T-cell-receptor transgenic system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 6065-6069. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.89.13.6065
- Hill, D. J., Hosking, C. S., De Benedictis, F. M., Oranje, A. P., Diepgen, T. L., Bauchau, V., and the EPPAAC Study Group. (2008) Confirmation of the association between high levels of immunoglobulin E food sensitization and eczema in infancy: An international study. Clin. Exp. Allergy 38, 161-168.
- Host, A. and Halken, S. (1990) A prospective study of cow milk allergy in Danish infants during the first 3 years of life. Allergy 45, 589-596.
- Host, A., Halken, S., Jacobsen, H. P., Eastmann, A., Mortensen, A., and Mygil, S. (1997) The natural course of cow’s milk protein allergy/intolerance. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 99, S490.
- Järvinen, K. M., Beyer, K., Vila, L., Bardina, L., Mishoe, M., and Sampson, H. A. (2007) Specificity of IgE antibodies to sequential epitopes of hen's egg ovomucoid as a marker for persistence of egg allergy. Allergy 62, 758-765. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2007.01332.x
- Jutel, M., Pichler, W. J., Skrbic, D., Urwyler, A., Dahinden, C., and Muller, U. R. (1995) Bee venom immunotherapy results in decrease of IL-4 and IL-5 and increase of IFN-γ secretion in specific allergen-stimulated T cell cultures. J. Immunol. 154, 4187-4194.
- Abbas, A. K., Murphy, K. M., and Sher, A. (1996) Functional diversity of helper T lymphocytes. Nature 383, 787-793. https://doi.org/10.1038/383787a0
- Anet, J., Back, J. F., Baker, R. S., Barnett, D., Burley, R. W., and Howden, M. E. (1985) Allergens in the white and yolk of hen’s egg. A study of IgE binding by egg proteins. Int. Arch. Allergy Appl. Immunol. 77, 364-371. https://doi.org/10.1159/000233846
- Burrows, B., Martinez, F. D., Halonen, M., Barbee, R. A., and Cline, M. G. (1989) Association of asthma with serum IgE levels and skin-test reactivity to allergens. N. Engl. J. Med. 320, 271-277. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198902023200502
- Bernhisel-Broadbent, J., Dintzis, H. M., Dintzis, R. Z., and Sampson, H. A. (1994) Allergenicity and antigenicity of chicken egg mucoid (Gal d III) compared with ovalbumin (Gald I) in children with egg allergy and in mice. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 93, 1047-1059. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(94)70054-0
- Bernstein, D. I., Patterson, R., and Zeiss, C. R. (1982) Clinical and immunologic evaluation of trimellitic anhydride- and phthalic anhydride-exposed workers using a questionnaire with comparative analysis of enzyme-linked immunosorbent and radioimmunoassay studies. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 69, 311-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(82)80009-2
- Böhm, I. and Bauer, R. (1997) Th1 cells, Th2 cells and atopic dermatitis. Hautarzt. 48, 223-227. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001050050573
- Coffman, R. L., Ohara, J., Bond, M. W., Carty, J., Zlotnik, A., and Paul, W. E. (1986) B cell stimulatory factor-1 enhances the IgE response of lipopolysaccharide-activated B cells. J. Immunol. 136, 4538-4541.
- Cooke, S. K. and Sampson, H. A. (1997) Allergenic properties of ovomucoid in man. J. Immunol. 159, 2026-2032.
- Dearman, R. J., Smith, S., Basketter, D. A., and Kimber, I. (1996) Classification of chemical allergens according to cytokine secretion profiles of murine lymph node cells. J. Appl. Toxicol. 17, 53-62.
연구 과제번호 : "젖소 육성우의 에너지 급여수준이 임신기, 비유기 유선발달에 미치는 영향 규명"