- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of Molecular Markers for the authentication of Zanthoxyli Pericarpium by the analysis of rDNA-ITS DNA barcode regions
rDNA-ITS DNA 바코드 부위 분석을 통한 산초(山椒) 기원종 감별용 유전자 마커 개발
- Received : 2015.04.13
- Accepted : 2015.05.20
- Published : 2015.05.30
Objectives : Due to the morphological similarity of the pericarp and description of multi-species in National Pharmacopoeia of Korea and China, the Zanthoxylum Pericarpium is difficult to authenticate adulterant in species levels. Therefore, we introduced the sequence analysis of DNA barcode and identification of single nucleotide polymorphism(SNP) to establish a reliable tool for the distinction of Zanthoxylum Pericarpium from its adulterants. Methods : To analyze DNA barcode region, genomic DNA was extracted from twenty-four specimens of authentic Zanthoxylum species and inauthentic adulterant and the individual internal transcribed spacer regions (rDNA-ITS and ITS2) of nuclear ribosomal RNA gene were amplified using ITS1, ITS2-S2F, and ITS4 primer. For identification of species-specific sequences, a comparative analysis was performed using entire DNA barcode sequences. Results : In comparison of four Zanthoxylum ITS2 sequences, we identified 16, 4, 6, and 4 distinct species-specific nucleotides enough to distinguish Z. schinifolium, Z. bungeanum, Z. piperitum, and Z. simulans, respectively. The sequence differences were available genetic marker to discriminate four species. Futhermore, phylogenetic relationship revealed a clear classification between different Zanthoxylum species showing 4 different clusters. These results indicated that comparative analysis of ITS2 DNA barcode was an useful genetic marker to authenticate Zanthoxylum Pericarpium in species levels. Conclusions : The marker nucleotides, enough to distinguish Z. schinifolium, Z. piperitum, Z. bungeanum, and Z. simulans, were obtained at 30 SNP marker nucleotides from ITS2 sequences. These differences could be used to authenticate official Zanthoxylum Pericarpium from its adulterants as well as discriminating each four species.
DNA barcode;Zanthoxylum species;Zanthoxylum Pericarpium;Internal Transcribed Spacer (ITS);Molecular Authentication
- Ko YS, Han HJ. Chemical constituents of Korean Chopi (Zanthoxylum piperitum) and Sancho (Zanthoxylum schinifolium). Korean J Food Sci Technol. 1996 ; 28 : 19-27.
- Choi HS. Different growth, genetic trait and biological activity in Korean Zanthosylum genus accessions. The thesis of doctoral science. Sunchon National University. 2012.
Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. Defining Dictionary for Medicinal Herbs [Korean], Retrieved March. 25, 2015, from
- Ju YS. Ungok Herbology. Jeonju : Woosuk Press. 2013 : 788-91.
- Kim J, Jeong CH, Bae YI, Shim KH. Chemical components of Zanthoxylum schinifolium and Zanthoxylum piperitum Leaves. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol. 2000 ; 7 : 189-94.
- Cho MG, Chae YA, Song JS. Volatile components analysis using SPME in traditional aromatic plant resources, Zanthoxylum schinifolium Siebold et Zucc. and Z. piperitum DC. Korean J Mdicinal Crop Sci. 2001 ; 9 : 192-7.
- Cho MG, Chae YA, Song JS. Identification of chemotypes in traditional aromatic plant resources Z. schiniflium Siebold et Zucc. and Z. piperitum DC. Korean J Breed. 2001 ; 33 : 126-32.
- Cho MG, Chang JS, Chae YA. Variation of volatile composition in the leaf of Zanthoxylum schinifolium Siebold et Zucc. and Zanthoxylum piperitum, DC. Korean J Medicinal crop Sci. 2002 ; 10 : 162-6.
- Oh HG, Won JH, Jeong GM. Experimental study on the effects of Zanthoxyli Fructus and Fagarae mandshuricae Fructus. J Korean Orient Pediatr. 1990 ; 4 : 1-17.
- World Health Organization. Quality Control Methods for Medicinal Plant Materials. Geneva : World Health Organization. 1998.
- Klich MA, Identification of commom Aspergillus species. Netherlands : Centraalbureau Voor Schimmelcultures. 2002.
- Kato H, Oginuma K, Gu Z, Hammel B, Tobe H. Phylogenetic relationships of Betulaceae based on matK sequences with particular reference at the positions of Ostryopsis. Acta Phytotax. Geobot. 1998 ; 49 : 89-97.
- Joshi K, Chavan P, Warude D, Patwardhan B. Molecular markers in herbal drug technology. Curr Sci. 2004 ; 87 : 159-65.
- Shucher NJ, Carles MC. Genome-based approaches to the authentication of medicinal plants. Planta Med. 2008 ; 74 : 603-23. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1074517
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes or phylogenetics. In: PCR Protocols: a guide to methods and amplifications. New York : Academic Press. 1990 : 315-22.
- Olmstead RG, Reeves PA. Evidence for the polyphyly of the Scropulariaceae based on choloroplast rbcL and ndhF sequences. Ann Missouri Bot Gard. 1995 ; 82 : 176-93. https://doi.org/10.2307/2399876
- Sang T, Crawford DN, Stuessy TF. Chloroplast DNA phylogeny, reticulate evolultion and biogeography of Paeonia (Paeoniaceae). Am J Bot. 1997 ; 84 : 1120-36. https://doi.org/10.2307/2446155
Barcode of Life. Identifying species with DNA barcoding Retrieved March. 25, 2015, from
BOLDsystem. Databases and Identification. Retrieved March. 25, 2015, from
- Kim YD, Park CW, Sun BY, Kim KJ, Lee EJ, Kim SH. ITS sequence variations in common ragweed and giant ragweed. Korean J Pl Taxon. 2005 ; 35 : 273-85.
- Hall TA. BioEdit: an user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl Acid S. 1999 ; 41 : 95-8.
- Medhi K, Deka M, Bhau BS. The genus Zanthoxylum – A stockpile of biological and ethnomedicinal properties. Sci. Rep. 2013 ; 2 : 697. doi:10.4172/scientificreports.697. https://doi.org/10.4172/scientificreports.697
- Lee TB, Coloured Flora of Korea. Seoul : Hyang Moon Sa. 2006 : 657-8.
- Medihi K, Sarmah Dk, Deka M, Bhau BS. High gene flow and genetic diversity in three economically important Zanthoxylum spp.. of upper brahmaputra valley zone of NE india using molecular marker. Meta Gene. 2014 : 2 : 706-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mgene.2014.09.009
- Sun YL, Park WG, Kwon OW, Hong SK. Ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer 1 and internal transcribed spacer 2 regions as targets for molecular identification of medically important Zanthoxylum schinifolium. Afr J Biotechnol. 2010 ; 9 : 4661-73.
- Sun YL, Park WG, Kwon OW, Hong SK. The internal transcribed spacer rDNA specific markers for identification of Zanthoxylum piperitum. Afr J biotechnol. 2010 ; 9 : 6027-39.
- Negi JS, Bisht VK, Bhandari AK, Singh P, Sundriyal RC. Chemical sunstituents and biological activities of the genus Zanthoxylum: a review. Afr J Pure Appl Chem. 2011 ; 5 : 412-6.
- Morphological Characteristics and Genetic Diversity Analysis of Cultivated Sancho (Zanthoxylum schinifolium) and Chopi (Zanthoxylum piperitum) in Korea vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2016.29.5.555
- Phylogenetic analysis of 14 Korean Araliaceae species using chloroplast DNA barcode analysis vol.43, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2016.43.1.82
- Species by Chemical and DNA Analysis Approaches vol.15, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.201800251
Grant : [사업단 총괄] 안정적 한약자원 확보 기술 개발