- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Anti-oxidative and Anti-cancer Activities of Treculia africana Extract in Human Colon Adenocarcinoma HT29 Cells
대장암세포주 HT29에서의 Treculia africana 추출물의 항산화 및 항암 활성 분석
- Received : 2015.02.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.17
- Published : 2015.05.30
Treculia africana Decne, a breadfruit species, is native to many parts of West and Tropical Africa. The breadfruit belongs to the family Moraceae and is one of the four members of the genera Treculia. The crude extract of T. africana has been used in folk medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent for various ailments, such as whooping cough. In this study, we evaluated the anti-oxidative and anti-cancer activities of the methanol extract of T. africana Decne (META) and the molecular mechanisms of its anti-cancer effects in human colon carcinoma HT29 cells. The META exhibited anti-oxidative activity through a DPPH radical scavenging capacity and inhibited cell growth in a dose-dependent manner in HT29 cells. META treatment induced apoptosis of HT29 cells, showing an increase in the percentage of both SubG1 cells and Annexin V-positive cells and the formation of apoptotic bodies in a dose-dependent manner. META-mediated apoptosis was associated with the up-regulation of the death receptor FAS and Bax and a decrease in the Bcl-2 expression. META-treated HT29 cells also showed the release of cytochrome c from the mitochondria into the cytosol, activation of caspase-3, caspase-8, and caspase-9, and proteolytic cleavage of poly ADP-ribose polymerase (PARP). These findings suggest META may exert an anti-cancer effect in HT29 cells by inducing apoptosis through both intrinsic and extrinsic pathways.
- Shi, L., Nishioka, W. K., Th'ng, J., Bradbury, E. M., Litchfield, D. W. and Greenberg, A. H. 1994. Premature p34cdc2 activation required for apoptosis. Science 263, 1143-1145. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.8108732
- Shi, Y. 2002. Mechanisms of caspase activation and inhibition during apoptosis. Mol. Cell 9, 459-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1097-2765(02)00482-3
- Oyelola, O. O., Moody, J. O., Odeniyi, M. A. and Fakeye, T. O. 2007. Hypoglycemic effect of treculia Africana decne root bark in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Afr. J. Tradit. Complement. Altern. Med. 4, 387-391.
- Neergheen, V. S., Bahorun, T., Taylor, E. W., Jen, L. S. and Aruoma, O. I. 2010. Targeting specific cell signaling transduction pathways by dietary and medicinal phytochemicals in cancer chemoprevention. Toxicology 278, 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2009.10.010
- Newman, D. J. and Cragg, G. M. 2007. Natural products as sources of new drugs over the last 25 years. J. Nat. Prod. 70, 461-477. https://doi.org/10.1021/np068054v
- Okada, H. and Mak, T. W. 2004. Pathways of apoptotic and non-apoptotic death in tumour cells. Nat. Rev. Cancer 4, 592-603. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1412
- Pan, J., Chang, Q., Wang, X., Son, Y., Zhang, Z., Chen, G., Luo, J., Bi, Y., Chen, F. and Shi, X. 2010. Reactive oxygen species-activated Akt/ASK1/p38 signaling pathway in nickel compound-induced apoptosis in BEAS 2B cells. Chem. Res.Toxicol. 23, 568-577. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx9003193
- Pathak, S., Sharma, C. H., Jayaram, H. N. and Singh, N. 2009. Apoptotic signaling induced by benzamide riboside : an in vitro study. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 328, 67-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-009-0075-8
- Potter, J. D., Slattery, M. L., Bostick, R. M. and Gapstur, S. M. 1993. Colon cancer: a review of the epidemiology. Epidemiol. Rev. 15, 499-545. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a036132
- Riedl, S. J. and Shi, Y. 2004. Molecular mechanisms of caspase regulation during apoptosis. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell. Biol. 5, 897-907.
- Seo, G. S. 2011. The role of NF-kB in colon cancer. Kor. J. Gastroenterol. 57, 3-7. https://doi.org/10.4166/kjg.2011.57.1.3
- Sherr, C. J. 1996. Cancer cell cycles. Science 274, 1672-1677. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.274.5293.1672
- Lippmann, D., Lehmann, C., Florian, S., Barknowitz, G., Haack, M., Mewis, I., Wiesner, M., Schreiner, M., Glatt, H., Brigelius-Flohé, R. and Kipp, A. P. 2014. Glucosinolates from pak choi and broccoli induce enzymes and inhibit inflammation and colon cancer differently. Food Funct. 5, 1073-1081. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3fo60676g
- Korsmeyer, S. J., Wei, M. C., Saito, M., Weiler, S., Oh, J. and Schlesinger, P. H. 2000. Pro-apoptotic cascade activates BID, which oligomerized BAK or BAX into pores that result in the release of cytochrome-C. Cell Death Differ. 7, 1166-1173. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cdd.4400783
- Kwon, H. J., Lee, E. W., Hong, Y. K., Yun, H. J. and Kim, B. W. 2010. Widdrol from Juniperus chinensis induces apoptosis in human colon adenocarcinoma HT29 cells. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 15, 167-172. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-009-0154-4
- Lazebnik, Y. A., Kaufmann, S. H., Desnoyers, S., Poirier, G. G. and Earnshaw, W. C. 1994. Cleavage of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase by a proteinase with properties like ICE. Nature 371, 346-347. https://doi.org/10.1038/371346a0
- Liu, J. J., Ake, N., Stina, O., Vladimir, B., Zhao, W. Z. and Duan, R. D. 2002. Boswellic Acids trigger apoptosis via a pathway dependent on caspase-8 activation but independent on Fas/Fas ligand interaction in colon cancer HT-29 cells. Carcinogenesis 23, 2087-2093. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.12.2087
- Lowe, S. W. and Lin, A. W. 2000. Apoptosis in cancer. Carcinogenesis 21, 485-495. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.3.485
- Malumbres, M. and Barbacid, M. 2001. To cycle or not to cycle: A critical decision in cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 1, 222-231. https://doi.org/10.1038/35106065
- Martin, S. J., Reutelingsperger, C. P., McGahon, A. J., Rader, J. A., van Schie, R. C., LaFace, D. M. and Green, D. R. 1995. Early redistribution of plasma membrane phosphatidylserine is a general feature of apoptosis regardless of the initiating stimulus: inhibition by overexpression of bcl-2 and abl. J. Exp. Med. 182, 1545-1556. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.182.5.1545
- Jin, Z. and El-Deiry, W. S. 2005. Overview of cell death signaling pathways. Cancer Biol. Ther. 4, 139-163.
- Gupta, S. 2003. Molecular signaling in death receptor and mitochondrial pathways of apoptosis. Int. J. Oncol. 22, 15-20.
- Han, S. I., Kim, Y. S. and Kim, T. H. 2008. Role of apoptotic and necrotic cell death under physiologic conditions. BMB Rep. 41, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2008.41.1.001
- Hartwell, L. H. and Kastan, M. B. 1994. Cell cycle control and cancer. Science 266, 1821-1828. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7997877
- Jung, K. W., Won, Y. J., Kong, H. J., Oh, C. M., Lee, D. H. and Lee, J. S. 2014. Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011. Cancer Res. Treat. 46, 109-123. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.2.109
- Katsube, T., Tabata, H., Ohta, Y., Yamasaki, Y., Anuurad, E., Shiwaku, K. and Yamane, Y. 2004. Screening for antioxidant activity in edible plant products: comparison of low-density lipoprotein oxidation assay, DPPH radical scavenging assay, and Folin-Ciocalteu assay. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52, 2391-2396. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf035372g
- Kaufmann, S. H., Desnoyers, S., Ottaviano, Y., Davidson, N. E. and Poirier, G. G. 1993. Specific proteolytic cleavage of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase: an early marker of chemotherapy-induced apoptosis. Cancer Res. 53, 3976-3985.
- Kolenko, V. M., Uzzo, R. G., Bukowski, R. and Finke, J. H. 2000. Caspase-dependent and -independent death pathways in cancer therapy. Apoptosis 5, 17-20. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009677307458
- Koopman, G., Reutelingsperger, C. P., Kuijten, G. A., Keehnen, R. J., Pals, S. T. and van Oers, M. H. 1994. Annexin V for flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on B cells undergoing apoptosis. Blood 84, 1415-1420.
- Dorai, T. and Aggarwal, B. B. 2004. Role of chemopreventive agents in cancer therapy. Cancer Lett. 215, 129-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.07.013
- Aderibigbe, A. O., Adeyemi, I. O. and Agboola, O. I. 2010. Central nervous system depressant properties of Treculia africana decne. Ethnobotanical Leaflets 14, 108-119.
- Devasagayam, T. P., Tilak, J. C., Boloor, K. K., Sane, K. S., Ghaskadbi, S. S. and Lele, R. D. 2004. Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects. J. Assoc. Physicians India 52, 794-804.
- Dickinson, B. C. and Chang, C. J. 2011. Chemistry and biology of reactive oxygen species in signaling or stress responses. Nat. Chem. Biol. 7, 504-511. https://doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.607
- Fadok, V. A., Voelker, D. R., Campbell, P. A., Cohen, J. J., Bratton, D. L. and Hensen, P. M. 1992. Exposure of phosphatidylserine on the surface of apoptotic lymphocytes triggers specific recognition and removal by macrophages. J. Immunol. 148, 2207-2216.
- Fulda, S. and Debatin, K. M. 2006. Extrinsic versus intrinsic apoptosis pathways in anticancer chemotherapy. Oncogene 25, 4798-4811. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209608
- Ghobrial, I. M., Witzig, T. E. and Adjei, A. A. 2005. Targeting apoptosis pathways in cancer therapy. CA. Cancer J. Clin. 55, 178-194. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.3.178
- Apoptosis-Induced Effects of Extract from Artemisia annua Linné by Modulating Akt/mTOR/GSK-3β Signal Pathway in AGS Human Gastric Carcinoma Cells vol.45, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.9.1257