- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Protective Effect of Semisulcospira libertina Extract on Induced Hepatitis in Rats
다슬기 열수 추출물이 간독성이 유도된 흰쥐에 미치는 보호 효과
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.05.09
- Published : 2015.05.30
This study aimed to investigate the protective effect of Semisulcospira libertina extract on liver injury induced by D-galactosamine in rats. After the administration of S. libertina extract, the local fat degeneration and infiltration of inflammatory cells in liver tissues were significantly decreased and peripheral hemorrhages around portal triads and central necrosis around central veins were found to be protective. The elevated levels of plasma ALT, AST, and LDH, the ALP activation lipid peroxidation, and the lipid contents of a damaged liver were recovered in experimental rats administrated with S. libertina extract, suggesting its role in blood enzyme activation and lipid content restoration within damaged rat liver tissues. Moreover, the expression rate of TNF-α, which accelerates inflammation and induces tissue damage and necrosis, was significantly decreased. In addition, the activities of antioxidant enzymes were more effectively upregulated compared to those of the control group induced hepatotoxicity. All data showed that S. libertina extract has a preventive role against liver damages, such as inflammation and tissue necrosis, as instigated with D-galactosamine by improving the activities of blood enzymes and antioxidant enzymes and modulating the expression of inflammation factor, suggest S. libertina extract is an effective medicinal resource for the restoration of hepatotoxicity.
D-galactosamin;hepatitis;lipid peroxidation;Semisulcospira libertina
- Park, J. Y., Park, C. M., Kim, J. J. and Song, Y. S. 2008. Hepatoprotective activity of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) sater extract against D-galactosamine-induced hepatitis in rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37, 177-183. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.177
- Ohkawa, H,. Ohishi, N. and Yagi, K. 1979. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal. Biochem. 95, 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Oyanagui, Y. 1989. SOD and active oxygen modulator. pp 17-36. Nihin Igakukan: Tokyo, Japan.
- Reitman, S. and Frankel, S. A. 1957. Colorimetric method for determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 28, 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/28.1.56
- Wang, G. X., Ben, C. E. and Ye, B. K. 1988. Reparative effects of biphenyl dimethyl dicarboxylate on experimental liver injury in rats with histochemical and electronmicroscopy study. Chin. J. Integrat. Tradit. Western Med. 8, 158-160.
- Wang, J. and Wendel, A. 1990. Studies on the hepatotoxicity of galactosamine endotoxin or galactosamine/TNF in the perfused mouse liver. Biochem. Pharmacol. 39, 267-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(90)90025-G
- Wills, P. J. and Asha, V. V. 2006. Protective effect of Lygodium flexuosum (L.) Sw. (Lygodiaceae) against D-galactosamine induced liver injury in rats. J. Ethanopharmacol. 108, 116-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.04.028
- Wroblewskin, F. and LaDue, J. S. 1955. Lactic dehydrogenase activity in blood. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 90, 210-213. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-90-21985
- Lee, H. H., Yoon, J. S. and Song, S. Y. 2010. Protective effect of Lithospermum erythrorhizon on galactosamine induced liver injury. Kor. J. Microscopy 40, 29-35.
- Kim, N. Y., Lee, J. S., Park, M. J., Lee, K. H., Kim, S. H., Choi, J. W. and Park, H. J. 2004. The hepatoprotective effect of active compounds of Kochiae fructus on D-galactosamine-intoxicated rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 33, 1286-1293. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.8.1286
- Kim, Y. K., Moon, H. S., Lee, M. H., Park, M. J., Lim, C. W., Park, H. Y., Park J. I., Yoon, H. D. and Kim, D. H. 2009. Biological activities of seven melania snails in korea. Korean J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 42, 434-441. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.5.434
- Kind, P. R. and King, E. J. 1954. Estimation of plasma phosphatase by determination of hydrolysed phenol with amino antipyrine. J. Clin. Pathol. 7, 322-326. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.7.4.322
- Lee, J. H., Chi, S. C., Kim, S. H., Shin, Y. H. and Choi, J. W. 2005. Protective effect of DWP-04 against hepatotoxicity induced by D-galactosamine. J. Life Sci. 15, 461-467. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2005.15.3.461
- Lee, M. S., Park, J. B. and Yoon, S. H. 2005. Hepatoprotective effects of the water extract from Semisulcospira gottschei against liver injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. J. Kor. Soc. Hygienic Sci. 11, 17-26.
- Lee, T. J. and Min, K. J. 2010. The effect of Allium sativum L. extract on hepatic function if rats with CCl4-induced (hepatic) injury. J. Kor. Acad. Industr. Coop. Soc. 11, 1936-1942.
- Lim, C. W., Kim, Y. K., Kim, D. H., Park, J. I., Lee, M. H., Park, H. Y. and Jang, M. S. 2009. Comparison of quality characteristics of melania snails in Korea. Kor. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 42, 555-560.
- McCord, J. M. and Fridovich, I. 1969. Superoxide dismutase an enzymic function ferythrocuprotein (Hemocuprotein). J. Biol. Chem. 244, 6049-6055.
- Huber, R., Hockenjos, B. and Blum, H. E. 2004. DDB treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis. Hepatology 39, 1732-1733. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20247
- Ha, Y. L., Kim, Y. S., Ahn, C. R., Kweon, J. M., Park, C. W., Ha, Y. K. and Kim, J. O. 2010. Mycelial culture of Lentinus edodes alleviates rat liver toxicity induced by carbon tetrachloride and ethanol. J. Life Sci. 20, 133-141. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.1.133
- Han, E. K., Jin, Y. X., Yoo, Y. S., Jung, E. J., Lee, J. Y. and Chung, C. K. 2009. Effect of Artemisia capillaris and Paecilomyces japonica on the reduction of hepatotoxicity and lipid metabolism induced by ethanol. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1016-1023. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.8.1016
- Han, S. H., Kim, J. B., Min, S. G. and Lee, C. H. 1995. The effects of Puerariae Radix catechins administration on liver function in carbon tetrachloride-treated rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr. 24, 713-719.
- Jeon, T. W., Lee, E. S., Lee, Y. S., Ham, O. K., Park, M. H., Kim, K. J. and Kim, H. J. 2002. Hepatoprotective effects of Semisulcospira libertina and garlic on the liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 31, 516-520. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.3.516
- Ki, S. H., Choi, J. H., Kim, C. W. and Kim, S. G. 2007. Combined metadoxine and garlic oil treatment efficaciously abrogates alcoholic steatosis and CYP2E1 induction in rat liver with restoration of AMPK activity. Chem. Biol. Interact 169, 80-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2007.05.008
- Kim, D. C., Jeong, S. W. and Park, P. S. 2010. Effect of green tea extract on acute ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39, 343-349. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.343
- Kim, H. J., Mok, J. Y., Park, K. H., Jeon, I. H., Kim, H. S., Hwang, S. Y. and Jang, S. I. 2012. Protective effect on myeongganbo extract on acetaminophen-induced liver injury. Kor. J. Herbology 27, 85-91.
- Adzharov, D., Donchev, N., Kerimova, M., Naidenova, E. and Borov, B. 1989. Effects of preliminary fasting on the development of D-galactosamine-induced acute lesion of the liver in rats. Biull. Exsp. Biol. Med. 107, 33-36.
- Aebi, H. 1984. Catalase in vitro, pp. 121-126, In: Packer (eds.), Methods in Enzymology.. Academic Press: New York, USA.
- Balakrishnan, S. D. and Anuradha, C. V. 1998. Exercise depletion of antioxidants and antioxidant manipulation. Cell Biol. 16, 269-275.
- Bligh, E. G. and Dyer, W. J. 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 37, 911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Bradford, M. M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72, 248- 254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Choi, H. J., Han, M. J., Baek, N. I., Kim, D. H., Jung, H. G. and Kim, N. J. 2006. Hepatoprotective effects of Brassica rapa (Turnip) on d-galatosamine induced liver injured rats. Kor. J. Pharmacol. 37, 258-265.
- Flohe, L., Wolfgang, A. and Gunzler, W. A. 1984. Assay of glutathione peroxidase. pp. 105-114. In: Packer (eds.), Methods in enzymatic analysis. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Folch, J., Mee, L. and Stanley, G. S. H. 1975. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipid from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Effect of Semisulcospira libertina Extract on Hepatic Injury Induced by D-galactosamine vol.36, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.4.498