- Volume 28 Issue 2
Objectives : This study aims to assess whether Korean medical treatment in infertile couple is effective on clinical pregnancy. Methods : Korean medical treatment using herbal medicine, acupuncture and moxibustion was performed to thirty-one women and one man of infertility from March 2013 to April 2015. Results : After the treatment, nine patients (eight women and 1 man) of infertility became pregnant (28.13%) in thirty-two patients. In nine patients with pregnancy, five patients became spontaneous pregnant. Two patients became pregnant with in vitro fertilization (IVF), and other two patients became pregnant with intrauterine insemination (IUI). Factors influenced pregnancy assessed a shorter duration of infertility. After the treatment, survey of satisfaction in Korean medical treatment in infertility was done. Out of thirty-two patients, convenience and reliability of Korean medical treatment was reported by who had an experience of sterilization surgery. After the assessment, seven patients who had an experience of sterilization surgery and beame pregnant were having more convenience than twelve patients who were not pregnant despite sterilization surgery. Conclusions : This study suggests Korean medical treatment is useful for infertile women and men, in reverse proportion to shorter duration of infertility.
Infertility;Subfertility;Korean medical treatment
- Korean society of obstetrics and gynecology. Gynecology 4th rev. ed. Seoul:Korean medical book. 2007:431-93.
- Gurunath S, et al. Defining infertility-a systematic review of prevalence studies. Human Reproduction Update. 2011;17(5) :575-88. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmr015
Statistics Korea, Korean statistical information service. Population dynamics (live births and deaths) database [Internet]. Daejeon:Statistics Korea; c2014. [cited 2015 Feb 26]. Available from:URL:
OECD, 2014. OECD Factbook 2014: Economic, environmental and social statistics. organization for economic cooperation and development, Paris. Available from:
- Wee HS, et al. Analysis on infertility patients in dept. of oriental gynecology of conmaul oriental hospital. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2005;18(1):218-33.
- Kwon SK, Kang MJ, Kim DI. A study on the status of patients with infertility in a department of oriental gynecology for the last three years and on the future policy of infertility treatment in oriental medicine. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2006;27(2):44-56.
- Jang HJ, et al. Study on status changes in female infertility who admitted to oriental hospital. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2010;23(3):184-91.
- Hwang NM, Hwang JH, Kim JE. Evaluation of the national supporting program for infertility couples and future policy directions in Korea. Research report 2010-30-13. Korea institute for health and social affairs (KIHASA). 2010:62-69, 109-112, 136-50.
- Ahn IS, et al. A study on factors influencing pregnancy in the pilot project for Korean medical treatment for subfertility. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2013;26(3):73-84. https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2013.26.3.073
- Kim DI. Email survey in obtaining basic data for the development of clinical practice guideline for infertility in Korean medicine. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2010;23(4):80-94.
Health insurance policy research institute. 2014. Available from:URL:
- Hwang NM, et al. Evaluation and assessment of 2012 supporting business for subfertility couples. Policy report 2013-77. Korea institute for health and social affairs(KIHASA). 2013:10, 17-19, 117-9.
- Choi MS, Lee DN, Kim DI. A survey study on use condition of Korean medical institution and demand of Korean medical treatment project of infertility in infertile couple. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2013;26(2):151-65. https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2013.26.2.151
- Ried K, Stuart K. Efficacy of traditional Chinese herbal medicine in the management of female infertility: a systematic review. Complement Ther Med. 2011;19(6):319-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2011.09.003
- Assisted reproductive technology committee, Korean society of obstetrics and gynecology. Current status of assisted reproductive technology in Korea, 2008. Korean J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;54(12) :741-63. https://doi.org/10.5468/KJOG.2011.54.12.741
- Kim DI. Oriental medical treatment as supplementary treatment method in ART : clinical review. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2010;23(4):67-79.
- Park YS, Baek JH. Influence of herbal medicine and acupuncture treatment on the pregnancy rate in infertile women before in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer. J Korean Oriental Med. 2011; 32(5):25-40.
- Traditional Korean medicine for female infertility: A review of results from infertility support programs in Korea vol.8, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2015.28.2.120
- The effectiveness, safety, and economic evaluation of Korean medicine for unexplained infertile women vol.96, pp.51, 2017, https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2015.28.2.120