- Volume 28 Issue 2
Objectives : This study aims to report the effect of Korean medicine treatments on a sequela of operation of hallux valgus. Methods : The patient was treated with Dangkisoosan-gami, Acupuncture treatment including Herbal-Acupuncture and physical therapy. We evaluated treatment effects by circumference of foot and ankle, Edema index score by Body Composition Analyzer, Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI) and Visual Analogue Scale (VAS). Results : After 25 days of treatment, the symptoms such as lower extremity edema, foot pain and ankle pain were improved. Conclusions : In this case, Korean medicine treatments for a sequela of operation of hallux valgus was effective. But further studies are required to confirm the effect of these methods.
Hallux Valgus;Lower extremity edema;Visual analogue scale (VAS);Dangkisoosan-gami
- Ferrari J, Hopkinson DA, Linney AD. Size and shape differences between male and female foot bones: is the female foot predisposed to hallux abducto valgus deformity? J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2004;94:434-52. https://doi.org/10.7547/0940434
- Mann RA, Coughlin MJ. Adult hallux valgus. In: Coughlin MJ, Mann RA, editors. Surgery of the foot and ankle. 7th ed. St. Louis:Mosby Inc. 1999: 150-269.
- Yoo CI, et al. A clinical and radiological study of the hallux valgus angle, intermetatarsal angle and hallux valgus of Koreans. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 1990;25(4):1183-90.
- Cho NH, et al. The prevalence of hallux valgus and its association with foot pain and functionin a rural Korean community. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91(4):494-8. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.9102.ebo2
- Ferrari J, Malone-Lee J. The shape of the metatarsal head as a cause of hallux abductovalgus. Foot Ankle Int. 2002;23:236-42. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110070202300308
- Maurel E, et al. Collagen of the normal and the varicose human saphenous vein: a biochemical study. Clinical Chemica Acta. 1990;193:27-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(90)90004-C
- Coetzee JC. Scarf osteotomy for hallux valgus repair: the dark side. Foot Ankle Int. 2003;24(1):29-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110070302400104
- The compliation committee of Korean Oriental Medical Pathology, University College of Korean Medicine. Korean Oriental Medical Pathology. Seoul: Iljungsa. 2004:81-6, 88, 218, 231.
- Goldman MP, Weiss RA, Bergan JJ. Diagnosis and treatment of varicos veins: A review. J Am Acad Derma. 1994;31:393-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0190-9622(94)70202-0
- Sidney S, et al. Some thought on the aetiology of varicose veins. J Cardiovasc Surg. 1986;27:534-43.
- Han SM. Overexpression of Estrogen Receptor in Female Patients with Varicose Vein of Lower Extremities. J of the korean Surg society. 2006; 71(1):61-4.
- Ciardullo AV, et al. High endogenous estradiol is associated with increased venous distensibility and clinical evidence of varicose veins in menopausal women. J Vasc Surg. 2000;32(3):544-9. https://doi.org/10.1067/mva.2000.107768
- Lee YJ. Clinical analysis of primary varicose vein: review of 209 cases. Korean Thorac Cardiovase Surg. 2001;34(12):909-16.
- Park JD. Now is the time Women's Health: Varicose veins. Korea Association of Health Promotion. 2012;36(10): 26-7.
- Ko KI, et al. Human Physiology. Seoul: Tamgudang. 1993:428-9.
- Yakaju D. Clinical Application herbal prescription commentary. Seoul:Uibang Publishing Company. 2008:647.
- The compliation committee of Herbalogy, University College of Korean Medicine. Herbalogy textbook of The national University College of Korean Medicine. Seoul:Yeongrimsa. 2008:159, 253, 303, 305, 315.
- Korean acupuncture and moxibustion medicine society textbook compilation committee. Acupuncture and moxibustion study part 1. Seoul:Jibmundang. 2008: 80, 257-8.
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. Clinical Applications of pharmacopuncture part 1. Seoul:Korean pharmacopuncture institute. 1997:1-5.
- Kang SM(Translation). Understanding Blood Pressure. Seoul:Academia. 2005:43.