- Volume 28 Issue 2
Objectives : The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of Omibaekchul-san on postpartum edema in women hospitalized at korean medical postpartum care center in comparison with Saenghwa-tang. Methods : The body composition data was collected from 102 women, who took postpartum care in postpartum care center attached to Won-kwang University Jeonju Korean Medical Hospital, from March 2012 to July 2013. The data was analyzed by Body Composition Analyzer (Inbody 720). Specifically the data was composed of the Extra Cellular Fluid/Total Body Fluid (ECF/TBF), Total Body Water (TBW), Intra Cellular Water (ICW), Extra Cellular Water (ECW), Body Weight, Body Mass Index (BMI), Waist Hip Ratio (WHR), and the ECF/TBF of each body parts such as the upperlimb, lowerlimb and trunk. The body composition was measured twice during 2~8.5 days from childbirth and once again after 7~13.5 days from childbirth by Body Composition Analyzer. Results : The Omibaekchul-san -treated group showed a significant decrease of ECF/TBF, ECW, TBF, Body weight, BMI, ECF/TBF of each body parts and increase of WHR in comparison with the data of the Saenghwa-tang-treated group. In two groups, only the change of ICW was unsignificant. Conclusions : Statistically this study suggests that the Omibaekchul-san will help the quality of life of women who are in postpartum edema.
Herbal Medicine;Omibaekchul-san;Postpartum Edema
- Cho HL, et al. The clinical study of Postpartum Edema. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2002; 15(3):151-61.
- Oh SH. A Study on Realities of the Cognition of Postpartum Care and Postpartum Disease. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2000; 13(2):482-99.
- Jeong MY. Comparative study on sanhujori and received western versus oriental medicine of women with sanhubyung. Graduate School of Chonnam University. 2000.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics, 21th ed. New York:McFrawHill. 2001: 403-21.
- Uom ES, Lee DN, Lim EM. Clinical Investigation for Various Postpartum Symptoms. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2001;14(1) :409-23.
- Park JK Study on the Various Symptoms of Women in Early Postpartum Period. Graduate School of Woosuk University. 2009.
- Paeng BI. Junguibangjedaesajeon. Beijing: Inminchulpansa. 1993:427.
- Heo J. Donguibogam. Seoul:Donguibogam-chulpansa. 2006:1808-9.
- Bu S. Bucheongjuyeogwa. Beijing: Sanghaegwahakjisulchulpansa. 1999:79.
- Wang U. Gogeummyeongbang. Hanam: Hanamgwahakjisulchulpansa. 1983:604.
- Oh SS. A Study of SaingHwa-Tang in Bucheungjueukwa. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1999; 12(2):327-48.
- Park KY. A Research on Progress and Evaluation Criteria of Postpartum Edema after Oriental Medical Care. Graduate School of Woosuk University. 2010.
- Choi MS, Kim DI. Basic Research to Provide Severity Evaluation Criteria of Postpartum Edema. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2008;21(4):207-17.
- Hwang JH, Yun YJ. Basic Studies on Correlations between Postpartum Edema and Heart Rate Variability. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;24(4):186-93.
- Gang GH, Baek SH. The study on the recognition and prefrence of antenatal women. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2000;13(1):376-96.
- Lee HJ, Park BR, Yoo SK. Effects of Omibackchoolsan Water Extracts on the Renal Function in Rats. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1994;7(1):69-78.
- Lee HJ, et al. Effects of Omibackchoolsan amd Taklansan Water Extracts on the Renal Function in Rats. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1998;11(1):229-49.
Section of the Policy of Childbirth of Ministry of Health and Welfare. the list of postpartum care center. Available from: URL:
- Lee CH, et al. A Study on the Factors related with the Occurrence of Postpartal Symptoms. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2002;15(3) :90-6.
- Park SK, Kang SK. Pathogenesis and Treatment of the Edema. The Journal of Korean society of Nephrology. 1993;12(7):101-7.
- Heo JW, Kim SR. A Study on the cognition and Realities of postpartum care. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;149(1):409-23.
- Lee SK. Body Component Analysis.. The Journal of Korean society for the study of Obesity. 2001;10(3):261-70.
- Hur IK, et al. Change of Body Composition Analyzed by Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) in Renal Transplant Recipients. The korean journal of Nephrology. 2008;27:211-9.
- Kim SS, et al. Assessment of total body water using Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis. The journal of Sports Science studies. 1997;9:215-27.
- Lukaski HC, et al. Total body water in pregnancy, assessment by using bioelectrical impedance. American journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1994;59(3):578-85.
- Oriental Obstetrics & Gynecology. Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology(Ha). Seoul: Euiseongdang. 2012:798-802.
- Van Loan MD, et al. Fliud change during pregnancy: use of bioimpedance spectroscopy. L. Applyment Physiology. 1995;78(3):1037-42.
- Morita H, et al. Potential use of bioelectrical impedance analysis in the assessment of edema in pregnancy. Clinical Express obstetrics and Gynecology. 1999;26(3-4):151-4.
- Jin MT. Saminbang. Beijing:Inminchulpansa. 1983:245.
- Wang A. Gukyeokuibangjiphae. Seoul: Daesungmunhwasa. 1989:603.
- Hwang GS. Saenghwatangjaebugwa jeokimsangeungyong. Hobukjunguijapji. 2013;35(5):49-50.
- Chang PJ, et al. Use of Sheng-hua-tang and health-related quality of life in postpartum women: a population-based cohort study in Taiwan. Int J Nurs Stud. 2010;47(1):13-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.06.002
- Park JC. A study on the effects of Saenghwatang on Postpartum. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1999;3(1):172-85.
- Park SW, et al. The effects of Boheotang and Saengwhatang on blood components and hormone content in postpartum rats. The Journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2001;14(2):113-28.
- Kim SB. Effects of muscular resistance exercise and protein intake on body composition and blood lipid. Graduate School of Yongin University. 2007.
- Kim YH, Khil JH. Effects of 12 week’s Taekwondo Combined Exercise Program on Body Composition and Physical Fitness in Middle Aged Obese Women. The Journal of Kinesiology. 2010;12(2):66-77.
- Jeong HC. Impact of Weekend P.E. Activities on the Body Composition of Elementary Schoolers. Graduate School of Kyongi University. 2008.
- Park SW, Keum DH. The Clinical Study of Outpatient for Weight Reduction. The Journal of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. 2000;10(1) :69-76.
- Lee IS. Effect of Cycling on Body Fat and Coordination of Children with Developmental Disabilities. Graduate School of Hanshin University. 2011.
- Lim DC, Oh JK, Jeon KK. The effects of Combined Treatment of Chuna Therapy and Spinal Stabilization Exercise on Muscle Mass of Lumbar Spine and Static Balance Ability in Patients with Low Back Pain. The Journal of Korean Society of Sports Science. 2012;21(2):1215-25.
- Korean society of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Obstetrics. Seoul:Koonja publisher. 2007:93-4.
- Moon SH, Kim JY. Study on women’s health and the changes of body composition after Korean postpartum management. The journal of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2003;16(4) :144-60.
- I WC, Gu BH. The effects of Poria cocos on the Blood Pressure and Renal Function of the rabbit. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 1988; 1(2):5-24.
- No JG. The effect of Water Extract of Akebiae Lignum on the Renal Function in Conscious Rabbits. Graduate School of Wonkwang University. 1986.
- Kang GH, et al. Effects of Ophicephalus argus, Crubita moschate and Saenghwatang on postpartum care. The Journal of Oriental Physiology and Pathology. 2001;15(3):449-54.
- Park SH. Effects of Traditional Recipes and Saenghwatang on Postpartume Care. The journal of Korean Society of Food Sceince and Nutrition. 2005; 34(5)652-8. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.5.652
- Blackburn ST, Loper DL. Maternal, fetal and neonatal physiology: a clinical perspective. Piladelphia:WB Saunders. 1992.
Nicole PS. Preventing Postpartum Weight Retention. JAAFP 2002. Available from: URL:
- Lee DK, et al. Weight change in the postpartum period. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 2004;25(1):205-12.