- Volume 39 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Permeable Wedge Crack in a Piezoelectric Material Under Antiplane Deformation
면외변형하의 압전재료에 대한 침투 쐐기균열
- Choi, Sung Ryul (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam Univ.) ;
- Park, Jai Hak (Dept. of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.04.27
- Accepted : 2015.06.01
- Published : 2015.09.01
In this study, we analyze the problem of wedge cracks, which are geometrically unsymmetrical in transversely piezoelectric materials. A single concentrated antiplane mechanical load and inplane electrical load are applied at the point of the wedge surface, while one concentrated antiplane load is applied at the crack surface. The crack surfaces are considered as permeable thin slits, where both the normal component of electric displacement and the electric potential are assumed to be continuous across these slits. Using Mellin transform method, the problem is formulated and the Wiener-Hopf equation is derived. By solving the equation, the solution is obtained in a closed form. The intensity factors of the stress and the electric displacement are obtained for any crack length as well as inclined and wedge angles. Based on the results, the intensity factors are independent of the applied electric loads. The electric displacement intensity factor is always dependent on that of stress intensity factor, while the electric field intensity factor is zero. In addition, the energy release rate is computed. These solutions can be used as fundamental solutions which can be superposed to arbitrary electromechanical loadings.
Piezoelectric;Permeable Crack;Antiplane;Intensity Factor
- Parton, V. Z., 1976, "Fracture Mechanics of Piezoelectric Materials," Acta Astronautica, Vol. 3, pp. 671-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/0094-5765(76)90105-3
- Pak, Y. E., 1990, "Crack Extension Force in a Piezoelectric Materials," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 57, pp. 647-653. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2897071
- Suo, Z., Kuo, C. -M., Barnett, D. M. and Willis, J. R., 1992, "Frtacture Mechanics for Piezoelectric Ceramic," J. Mechanics Physics Solids, Vol. 40, pp. 739-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(92)90002-J
- Shindo, Y., Tanaka, K. and Narita, F., 1997, "Singular Stress and Electric Fields of a Piezoelectric Ceramic strip With a Finite Crack Under Longitudinal Shear," Acta Mechanica, Vol. 120, pp. 31-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01174314
- Kwon, J. H., Kwon, S. M., Shin, J. W. and Lee, K. Y., 2000, "Determination of Intensity Factors in Piezoelectric Ceramic Strip with Impermeable Crack," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 1601-1607.
- Shin, J. W., Kwon, S. M. and Lee, K. Y., 2001, "Eccentric Crack in a Piezoelectric Strip under Electro-Mechanical Loading," KSME International Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 21-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03184794
- Kwon, J. H., 2004, "Central Crack in a Piezoelectric Disk," KSME International Journal, Vol. 18, No. 9, pp. 1549-1558. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02990369
- Choi, S. T. and Earmme, Y. Y., 1998, "Antiplane Problem of Interfacial Circular-Arc Cracks in Transversely Isotropic Piezoelectric Media," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 868-876.
- Zhang, T.-Y and Tong, P., 1996, "Fracture Mechanics for a Mode III Crack in a Piezoelectric material," Int. J. Solids Structures, Vol. 33, No.3, pp. 343-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00046-D
- Gao, C.-F, Wang, M.-Z., 2001, "General Treatment of Mode III Interfacial Crack Problems in Piezoelectric Materials," Archieve of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 71, pp. 296-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004190000135
- Li, X. -F. and Fan, T. -Y., 2001, "Mode-III Interface Edge Crack Between Two Bonded Quarter-Planes of Dissimilar Piezoelectric Materials," Archieve of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 71, pp. 703-714. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004190100175
- Li, X. -F. and Tang, G. -J., 2002, "Antiplane Permeable Edge Cracks in a Piezoelectric Strip of Finite Width," Int. Journ. of Fracture, Vol. 115, L35-L40. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022690501129
- Choi, S. R., 2008, "Green's Function of Edge Crack in Transversely Isotropic Piezoelectric Material Under Anti-Plane Loads," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 43-53. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.1.043
- Wu, X.-F., Cohen, S. and Dzenis, Y. A., 2003, "Screw Dislocation Interacting with Interfacial and Interface Cracks in Piezoelectric Bimaterials," International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 41, No. 7, pp. 667-682. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7225(02)00155-6
- Wu, X.-F. and Dzenis, Y. A., 2002, "Screw Dislocation Interacting with an Interfacial Edge Crack Between Two Bonded Dissimilar Piezoelectric Wedges," International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 117, L9-L14. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022640722604
- Choi, S. R., Sah J.Y. and Jeong, J.T., 2015, "Inclined Edge Crack in a Piezoelectric Material Under Anti-Plane Loads," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 589-596. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.6.589
- Noble, B., 1958, Methods Based on the Wiener-Hopf Technique, Pergamon Press, London.
- Gradshteyn, I. S. and Ryzhik, I. M., 2007, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 7th Ed., Academic Press, New York.
- Hwang, E. H., Choi S. R. and Earmme Y. Y., 1992, "Inclined Edge Crack in Two Bonded Elastic Quarter Planes Under Out-of-Plane Loading," Int. Journ. of Fracture, Vol. 56, R39-R49. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00012333
- Asymmetric impermeable wedge crack in a piezoelectric material under anti-plane deformation vol.32, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-018-0924-z