- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Multimedia Data Compression Scheme for Disaster Prevention in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks
Park, Jun-Ho;Lim, Jong-Tae;Yoo, Jae-Soo;Oh, Yong-Sun;Oh, Sang-Hoon;Min, Byung-Won;Park, Sun-Gyu;Noh, Hwang-Woo;Hayashida, Yukuo
- Received : 2015.03.24
- Accepted : 2015.05.06
- Published : 2015.06.28
Recent years have seen a significant increase in demand for multimedia data over wireless sensor networks for monitoring applications that utilize sensor nodes to collect multimedia data, including sound and video. However, the multimedia streams generate a very large amount of data. When data transmission schemes for traditional wireless sensor networks are applied in wireless multimedia sensor networks, the network lifetime significantly decreases due to the excessive energy consumption of specific nodes. In this paper, we propose a data compression scheme that implements the Chinese remainder theorem to a wireless multimedia sensor network. The proposed scheme uses the Chinese Remainder Theorem (CRT) to compress and split multimedia data, and it then transmits the bit-pattern packets of the remainder to the base station. As a result, the amount of multimedia data that is transmitted is reduced. The superiority of our proposed scheme is demonstrated by comparing its performance to that of an existing scheme. The results of our experiment indicate that our proposed scheme significantly increased the compression ratio and reduced the compression operation in comparison to those of existing compression schemes.
Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks;Compression;Chinese Remainder Theorem;Energy-efficient
- Lossless JPEG codec of Cornell University version 1.0, ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/multimed/.
- M. Kocher and M. Kunt, “Image Compression Using Texture Modeling,” Proc. of IEEE International Symposium
- G. F. McLean, “Vector Quantization for Texture Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, vol. 23, no. 3, 1993, pp. 637-649.
- Y. S. Chen and Y. W. Lin, “C-MAC: An Energy-Efficient MAC Scheme Using Chinese-Remainder-Theorem for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2007, pp. 3576-3581.
- Independent JPEG Group (IJG) JPEG implementation version 6b, http://www.ijg.org/.
- SPMG JPEG-LS implementation of the University of British Columbia, http://spmg.ece.ubc.ca/.
- Information Technology - JPEG-2000 Image Coding System, JTC1/SC29/WG1 FCD15444-1, 2000.
- SPIHT Image Compression Demo Programs/Downloads, http://www.cipr.rpi.edu/research/SPIHT/spiht3.html.
- Xiph.Org Foundation, http://www.xiph.org/, 2013.
- D. Cruz, T. Ebrahimi, J. Askelof, M. Larsson, and C. Christopoulos, "Coding of Still Picture," Proc. of SPIE Applications of Digital Image Processing," vol. 4115, 2000.
- S. Ehsan and B. Hamdaoui, “A Survey on EnergyEfficient Routing Techniques with QoS Assurances for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 14, issue. 2, 2011, pp. 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2011.020211.00058
- C. Yousef, W. Naoka, and M. Masayuki, “NetworkAdaptive Image and Video Transmission in CameraBased Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. of the ACM/IEEE Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras, 2007, pp. 336-343.
- L. W. Chew, L. M. Ang, and K. P. Seng, "Survey of Image Compression Algorithms in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. of the International Symposium on Information Technology (ITSim '08), 2008, pp. 1-9.
- J. M. Shapiro, “Embedded Image Coding using Zerotrees of Wavelet Coefficients,” IEEE Transactions of Signal Processing, vol. 41, no. 12, 1993, pp. 3445-3462. https://doi.org/10.1109/78.258085
- A. Said and W. A. Pearlman, “A New Fast and Efficient Image Codec based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees,” IEEE Transactions of Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, 1996, pp. 243-250. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.499834
- D. Taubman, “High Performance Scalable Image Compression with EBCOT,” IEEE Transactions of Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 7, 2000, pp. 1158-1170. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.847830
- P. J. Burt and E. H. Adelson, “The Laplacian Pyramid as a Compact Image Code,” Proc. Of the Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, vol. 31, 1983, pp. 532-540.
- A. Ikonomopoulos and M. Kunt, “High Compression Image Coding via Directional Filtering,” Signal Processing, vol. 8, 1985, pp. 179-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1684(85)90073-8
- I. F. Akyildiz, T. Melodia, and K. R. Chowdhury, “A Survey on Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks,” Computer Networks, vol. 51, no. 4, 2007, pp. 921-960. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2006.10.002