- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Optimal Design for the Nose Shape of Commercial High-speed Train Using Function of Train Configuration
열차형상함수를 이용한 상용 고속열차 전두부 형상 최적설계
- Kwak, Minho (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Yun, Suhwan (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Park, Choonsoo (Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2015.01.27
- Accepted : 2015.05.19
- Published : 2015.08.31
Using the Vehicle Modeling Function, which can model various 3D nose shapes, nose shape optimization is performed to reduce the aerodynamic drag of the KTX Sancheon. 2D characteristic shapes of the KTX Sancheon nose were extracted and a base model of the KTX Sancheon was constructed for design optimization using the Vehicle Modeling Function. The design space was constructed with the base model and does not violate the shape constraints of commercial trains. Through nose shape optimization with the Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno algorithm, the aerodynamic drag of the optimized shape was reduced by 6% compared to that of the base model. The longer nose and sharper edge of the optimized shape weaken the vortices behind the last car and can reduce the aerodynamic drag.
Supported by : 국토교통부
- J.L. Peters (1982) Optimizing aerodynamics to raise IC performance, Railway Gazette International, pp. 817-819.
- K.M. Kim, S.W. Han (2007) The changes of Shinkansen vehicles' nose shape, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 10(2) pp. 124-130.
- B.M. Kulfan (2007) A universal parametric geometry representation method - CST, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, USA.
- J.H. Rho, Y.C. Ku, J.D. Kee, D.H. Lee (2009) Development of a vehicle modeling function for three-dimensional shape optimization, Journal of Mechanical Design, 131(12), pp. 121004. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4000404
- Y.C. Ku, (2009) Two-step multi-objective nose shape sptimization of a high-speed train using the vehicle modeling function, Ph.D Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Y.C. Ku, J.H. Rho, S.H. Yun, M.H. Kwak et al. (2008) A study of design method for train nose shape using configuration function, Proceedings of 2008 Spring Conference of Korean Society for Railway, Daegu, Korea, pp. 2198-2203.
- M.H. Kwak, S.H. Yun, Y.B. Lee, H.B. Kwon, et al. (2013) Optimum nose shape of a front-rear symmetric train for the reduction of the total aerodynamic drag, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 27(12), pp. 3733-3743. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-0918-9
- https://www.hyundai-rotem.co.kr(Accessed 15 October 2014)
- Korean Railway Standards (2006) KRS TR 0001-12 (R).
- S.E. Rogers, D.C. Kwak (1990) Upwind differencing scheme for the time-accurate incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, AIAA Journal, 28(2) pp. 253-262. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10382
- M.E. Johnson, L.M. Moore, D. Ylvisaker (1990) Minimax and maximin distance designs, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 26(2), pp. 131-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3758(90)90122-B
- S.O. Jun, Y.H. Jeon, J.H. Kim, D.H. Lee (2006) Application of the robust and reliability-based design optimization to the aircraft wind design, Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, 34(8), pp. 24-32 https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2006.34.8.024
- G.N. Vanderplaats (1999) Numerical optimization techniques for engineering design, Vanderplaats Research & Development Inc, Colorado Springs, USA, pp. 113.
- Study of Shape Optimization for Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of High-speed train vol.19, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2016.19.6.709