- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An assessment of the effect of air scouring and swabbing pig cleaning technique on water distribution pipes
공기주입과 스와빙 피그를 이용한 상수관로 세척 효과 평가
- Received : 2015.04.27
- Accepted : 2015.07.31
- Published : 2015.08.15
Deposits discharged through the cleaning mainly were cement mortar, bitumen paintings and rust pieces, and fragments of perforation, stones and gravels. Deposits were more removed through swabbing pig cleaning rather than air scouring cleaning on the whole. However, air scouring cleaning were not influenced by the constraint conditions such as a change in the diameter or the presence of the valve in water mains compare to swabbing pig cleaning. So, it was thought that air scouring cleaning might be more favorable to water distribution network cleaning in the future. After the cleaning, water quality including residual chlorine and turbidity also was improved because of the removal of a significant amount of the deposits. Therefore, if the cleaning is continuously and regularly implemented in water mains, it is expected that it will help to recover the reliability and to preserve the health of water quality.
Air scouring;deposits;swabbing pig;cleaning
- Carriere, A., Gauthier, V., Desjardins, R. and Baebeau, B. (2005). "Evaluation of loose deposits in distribution systems through unidirectional flushing", Journal AWWA, 97(9), pp. 82-92.
- Ellison, D., Duranceau, S. G., Ancel, S., Deagle, G. and McCoy, R. (2003). "Investigation of pipe cleaning methods", AWWA Research Foundation, Denver.
- Friedman, M., Kirmeyer, G. J. and Antoun, E. (2002). "Developing and implementing a distribution system flushing program", Journal AWWA, 94(7), pp. 48-56.
- Friedman, M., Martel, K. and Hill, A. (2004). "Establishing site-specific flushing velocities", AWWA Research Foundation, Denver.
- Gauthier, V., Barbeau, B., Milette, R., Block, J.-C. and Prevost, M. (2001). "Suspended particles in the drinking water of two distribution systems.", Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, Vol: 1 (4): 237-245.
- Hill, A., (2014). "AWWA Webinar Program: Distribution System Issues Part 2 of 3: Water Quality and Asset Management Working Together Wednesday", September 24
- Ronald, A., Chadderton, G., Christensen, L. and Henry-Unrath, P. (1992). "Implementation and optimization of distribution flushing programs", AWWA Research Foundation, Denver.
- Vreeburg, J. H. G. (2007). "Discolouration in drinking water systems: a particular approach", Department of Civil Engineering, TU Delft, Ph. D. Thesis.