- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Pressure Reducing Valves performance using Statistical Approach in Water Distribution System : Case Study
통계적 기법을 이용한 배·급수 관망 내 감압 밸브 성능 평가에 관한 사례 연구
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2015.08.15
It has been widely accepted that the pressure management of water distribution systems using pressure reducing valves(PRVs) would be an effective method for controlling leakages. A pressure reducing valve (PRV) regulates outlet pressure regardless of fluctuating flow and varying inlet pressure, thereby reducing leakage and mitigating the stress on the water distribution system. However, the operation of a PRV is vulnerable to its mechanical condition and hydraulic operability. In this research, the effect of PRVs installed in water distribution system are evaluated in terms of hydraulic pressure reduction and mechanical performance by analyzing measured pressure data with statistical approach. A statistical approach using the moving average filter and frequency analysis based on fourier transform is presented to detect abnormally operated PRVs that have been densely installed in water distribution system. The result shows that the proposed approach can be a good performance evaluation method by simply measuring pressures for the PRVs.
pressure management;pressure reducing valves;controlling leakages;moving average filter and frequency analysis
- AWWA and U.S. EPA (2007). Leakage Management Technology, Denver, Colo: AWWA(American Water Works Association).
- Barnett, V., Lewis, T. (1994). Outliers in statistical data 3rd Ed., Wiley & Sons, New York. pp. 584
- Burnell, D., Race, J. (2000). "Water Distribution Systems Analysis: Patterns in Supply-pipe Leakage", Proc. 2000 ASCE EWRI Conf., Minneapolis.
- Farley, M., Trow, S. (2003). Losses in Water Distribution Networks: a practitioner's guide to assessment, monitoring and control, IWA Publishing, London. pp. 282
- Kim, S.J. (2010). Essential Kalman Filter, A-jin, pp. 270.
- Lambert, A. (1997). "Pressure Management/Leakage Relationships: Theory, Concepts, and Practical Application", IQPC Seminar, London.
- Lambert, A. (2001). "What Do We Know About Pressure-leakage Relationships in Distribution Systems?", Proc. 2001 IWA Conf.: System Approach to Leakage Control and Water Distribution Systems Management, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Lee, J.S. (2012). Design and Computational Fluid Dynamics of Pressure Reducing Valve, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society Vol. 13, No. 7. pp. 2853-2857 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.7.2853
- McKenzie, R., Lambert A. (2002). Econoleak: Economic Model for Leakage Management for Water Suppliers in South Africa, South Africa Water Res. Commission, WRC Repot TT 169/02.
- McKenzie R.S, Moster H., de Jager T. (2004). "Leakage reduction through pressure management in Khayelisha: Two years down the line", 2004 Water Institute of South Africa(WISA) Biennial Conf., Cape Town, South Africa.
- Robinson, R., Cox, C., and Odom, K. (2005). Identifying Outliers in Correlated Water Quality Data. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 131(4), pp. 651-657. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2005)131:4(651)
- Rogers, D., Fantozzi, M. (2001). "Leakage Wasting a Precious Resource", Proc. 2001 ASCE EWRI Conf., Orlando, Fla.
- Savic, D., Walters, G., Smith, M., and Atkinson, R. (2000). "Cost Savings on Large Water Distribution Systems: Design Through Genetic Algorithm Optimization", Proc. 2000 ASCE EWRI Conf., Minneapolis.
- Thomas, W., William, B., Emanuel, T.P., Mark, W., Brian E.W. (2006). Modeling Leakage Reduction through pressure control, Journal of AWWA, 98(4), pp. 147-155.
- Thornton, J., Strum, R., George Kunkel, P.E. (2002). Water Loss Control Management 2rd Ed.. McGraw-Hill, New York. pp. 615.
- U.S. EPA (2006). Data Quality Assessment: Statistical Methods for Practitioners, EPA QA/G-9S.
- Walsh, J.E. (1950), Some nonparametric tests of whether the largest observations of a set are too large or too small, Annals of Mathematical Statistics 21 (1950), pp. 583-592 https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177729753
- Walsh, J.E. (1953), Correction to "Some nonparametric tests of whether the largest observations of a set are too large or too small", Annals of Mathematical Statistics 24 (1953), pp. 134-135 https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177729095
- Walsh, J.E. (1958), Large sample nonparametric rejection of outlying observations., Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 10 (1958), pp. 223-232
- Yan, J., Lin Z., Vairavamoorthy, K., (2002). "Modelling Contaminant Intrusion into Intermittent Water Distribution Systems", Proc. 2002 ASCE EWRI Conf., Roanoke, Va.
Grant : 차세대 에코이노베이션사업(글로벌탑 환경기술개발사업)
Supported by : 환경부