- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Visualizing the Peripheral Primo Vascular System in Mice Skin by Using the Polymer Mercox
- Stefanov, Miroslav (Department of Animal Morphology, Physiology and Nutrition, Agricultural Faculty, Trakia University) ;
- Kim, Jungdae (Nano Primo Research Center, Advanced Institutes of Convergence Technology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.05.29
- Accepted : 2015.06.15
- Published : 2015.09.30
Objectives: As the peripheral part of the primo vascular system (PVS) is difficult to visualize, we used a vascular casting material Mercox injected directly into the skin to take advantage of a simple procedure to visualize PVS structures as primo vessels (PVs) and primo nodes (PNs) in the skin. Methods: Two colors of the polymer Mercox were injected into mouse skin. After a partial maceration of the whole body with potassium hydroperoxide solution, we anatomized it under a stereomicroscope to trace the Mercox that had been injected into the PVS. Results: Injection of Mercox directly into the skin allowed the PVs and the PNs to be visualized. This approach can fill the PVS when the material is ejected out of the PVs or PNs. The shapes, sizes, and topographic positions of the nodes and the vessels are the hallmarks used to identify the PVS in skin when Mercox is used as a tracer. Conclusion: The direct injection of the casting material Mercox into skin, with modified partial maceration procedures, is a promising method for visualizing the PVs and the PNs in the peripheral part of the PVS in skin. The polymer Mercox can penetrate through the primo pores of the primo vascular wall and fill the PVs and the PNs. The data prove that PVs and PNs exist on the hypodermal layer of the skin.
- Shin HS, Johng HM, Lee BC, Cho SI, Soh KS, Baik KY, et al. Feulgen reaction study of novel threadlike structures on the surface of rabbir livers. Anat Rec B New Anat. 2005;284(1):35-40.
- Lee BC, Yoo JS, Ogay V, Kim KW, Dobberstein H, Soh KS, et al. Electron microscopic study of novel threadlike structures on the surfaces of mammalian organs. Microsc Res Tech. 2007;70(1):34-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.20383
- Sung B, Kim MS, Lee BC, Yoo JS, Lee SH, Kin YJ, et al. Measurement of flow speed in the channels of novel threadlike structures on the surface of mammalian organs. Naturwissenschaften. 2008;95(2):117-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00114-007-0300-9
- Yoo JS, Kim MS, Sung B, Lee BC, Soh KS, Lee SH, et al. Cribriform structure with channels in the acupuncture meridian-like system on the organ surfaces of rabbits. Acup Electrother Res. 2007;32:130-2.
- Lee C, Seol SK, Lee BC, Hong YK, Je JH, Soh KS. Alcian blue staining method to visualize bonghan threads iside large caliber lymphatic vessels and X-ray microtomography to reveal their microchannels. Lymphat Res Biol. 2006;4(4):181-90. https://doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2006.4402
- Kwon JH, Baik KY, Lee BC, Soh KS, Lee NJ, Kang CJ. Scanning probe microscopy study of microcells from the organ surface bonghan corpuscle. Appl Phys Lett. 2007;90(17):1-3.
- Johng HM, Yoo JS, Yoon TJ, Shin HS, Lee BC, Lee CH, et al. Use of magnetic nanoparticles to visualize threadlike structures inside lymphatic vessels of rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2007;4(1):77-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nel057
- Yoo TJ, Johng HM, Yoon TJ, Shin HS, Lee BC, Lee C, et al. In vivo fluoresence imaging of threadlike tissues (bonghan ducts) inside lymphatic vessels with nanoparticles. Curr Appl Phys. 2007;7(4):342-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cap.2006.09.011
- Lee BC, Ogay V, Kim KW, Lee Y, Lee JK, Soh KS. Acupuncture muscle channel in the subcutaneus layer of rat skin. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2008;1(1):13-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(09)60002-9
- Lim JK. Visualization of primo vascular system in brain and spinal cord with fluorescent nano particles [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Seoul National University; 2011. p. 22-35.
- Lim JK, Jung JH, Lee S, Su Z, Qiang Z, Cha JM, et al. Estimation the density of fluorescent nanoparticles in the primo vessels in the fourth ventricle and the spinal cord of a rat. J Biomed Opt. 2011;16(11):6010-17.
- Soh KS, Hong S, Hong JY, Lee BC, Yoo JS. Immunohistochemical characterization of intravascular Bonghan duct. Microcirculation. 2006;13:166.
- Kim MS, Hong JY, Hong S, Lee BC, Nam CH, Woo HJ, et al. [Bong-han corpuscles as possible steam cell niches on the organ-surfaces]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(1):5-12. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.1.005
- Lee SJ, Lee BC, Nam CH, Lee WC, Jhang SU, Park HS, et al. Proteomic analysis for tissues and liquid from bonghan ducts on rabbit intestinal surfaces. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2008;1(2):97-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(09)60029-7
- Kim JD, Ogay V, Lee BC, Kim MS, Lim IB, Woo HJ, et al. Catecholamine producing novel endocrine organ: bonghan system. Med Acupunct. 2008;20(2):97-102. https://doi.org/10.1089/acu.2008.0600
- Ogay V, Kim MS, Seok HJ, Choi CJ, Soh KS. Catecholamine-storing cells at acupuncture points of rabbits. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2008;1(2):83-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(09)60027-3
- Park SH. Bioelectrical study of bonghan system [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Seoul National University; 2009. p. 15-28.
- Soh KS. Bonghan circulatory system as an extension of acupuncture meridians. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2009;2(2):93-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(09)60041-8
- Soh KS. Current stage of research on the primo vascular system. In: Soh KS, Kang KA, Harrison D, editors. The primo vascular system, its role in cancer and regeneration, NewYork: Springer; 2011. p. 25-39.
- Kim BH. [On the kyungrak system]. J Acad Med Sci DPR Korea. 1963;90:1-41. Korean.
- Lametschwandtner A, Lametschwandtner U, Weiger T. Scanning electron microscopy of vascular corrosion casts - technique and applications. Scan Electron Microsc. 1984;(2):663-95.
- Lametschwandtner A, Lametschwandtner U, Weiger T. Scanning electron microscopy of vascular corrosion casts – technique and applications: updated review. Scanning Microsc. 1990;4(4):889-940.
- Konerding, MA. Scanning electron microscopy of corrosion casting in medicine. Scanning Microsc. 1991;5(3):851-65.
- Aharinejad SH, Lametschwandtner A. Microvascular corrosion casting in scanning electron microscopy: techniques and applications. Wien: Springer; 1992. 375p.
- Martin-Orti R, Stefanov M, Gaspar I, Martin R, Martin-Alguacil N. Effect of anticoagulation and lavage prior to casting of postmortem material with Mercox and Batson N17. J Microsc. 1999;195(2):150-60. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2818.1999.00554.x
- Verli FD, Rossi-Schneider TR, Schneider FL, Yurgel LS, de Souza MA. Vacular corrosion casting technique steps. Scanning. 2007;29(3):128-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/sca.20051
- Bae KH, Zhendong S, Soh KS, Kwon HM. Histological comparason of primo nodes in abdominal membrane and lymph nodes of rat. In: Soh KS, Kang KA, Harrison D, editors. The primo vascular system: its role in cancer and regeneration. NewYork: Springer Science; 2010. p.127-31.
- Jia Z, Soh KS, Zhou Q, Dong B. Yu W. Observation of the primo vascular system on the fascia of dogs. In: Soh KS, Kang KA, Harrison D, editors. The primo vascular system: its role in cancer and regeneration. NewYork: Springer Science; 2010. p.71-5.
- Vodyanov V. Characterization of primo nodes and vessels by high resolution light microscopy. In: Soh KS, Kang KA, Harrison D, editors. The primo vascular system: its role in cancer and regeneration. NewYork: Springer Science; 2010. p.83-94.
- Lee BC, Kim HB, Sung B, Kim KW, Sohn J, Son B, et al. Structure of the sinus in the primo vessel inside the bovine cardiac chambers. In: Soh KS, Kang KA, Harrison D. editors. The primo vascular system: its role in cancer and regeneration. NewYork: Springer Science; 2010. p.57-62.
- Lim CJ, Lee SY, Ryu PD. Identification of primo-vascular system in abdominal subcutaneous tissue layer of rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;Article ID 751937.
- Stefanov M, Kim JD, Nam MH, Soh KS. New approach of corrosion casting using direct injection of Mercox into the parenchyma of different organs. Anat Rec. 2013;296(5):724-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.22679
- Stefanov M, Potroz M, Kim JD, Lim J, Cha R, Nam MH. Primo vascular system as new anatomical system. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2013;6(6):331-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jams.2013.10.001
- The Integrative Five-Fluid Circulation System in the Human Body vol.06, pp.04, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojmip.2016.64005