- Volume 19 Issue 3
Prediction of hysteretic energy demands in steel frames using vector-valued IMs
DOI QR Code
Bojorquez, Eden;Astorga, Laura;Reyes-Salazar, Alfredo;Teran-Gilmore, Amador;Velazquez, Juan;Bojorquez, Juan;Rivera, Luz
- 투고 : 2013.06.13
- 심사 : 2015.02.12
- 발행 : 2015.09.25
It is well known the importance of considering hysteretic energy demands for the seismic assessment and design of structures. In such a way that it is necessary to establish new parameters of the earthquake ground motion potential able to predict energy demands in structures. In this paper, several alternative vector-valued ground motion intensity measures (IMs) are used to estimate hysteretic energy demands in steel framed buildings under long duration narrow-band ground motions. The vectors are based on the spectral acceleration at first mode of the structure Sa(
intensity measures;hysteretic energy;steel frames;spectral shape;narrow-band motions
- Arias, A. (1970), "A measure of earthquake intensity", Seismic Design for Nuclear Power Plants, (Edited by R.J. Hansen), MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, pp. 438-483.
- Arroyo, D. and Ordaz, M. (2007), "Hysteretic energy demands for SDOF systems subjected to narrow band earthquake ground motions", Applications to the lake bed zone of Mexico City", J. Earthq. Eng., 11(2), 147-165. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460601123131
- Baker, J.W. and Cornell, C.A. (2005), "A vector-valued ground motion intensity measure consisting of spectral acceleration and epsilon", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(10), 1193-1217. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.474
- Baker, J.W. and Cornell, C.A. (2008), "Vector-valued intensity measures incorporating spectral shape for prediction of structural response", J. Earthq. Eng., 12(4), 534-554. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460701673076
- Bojorquez, E. and Iervolino, I. (2011), "Spectral shape proxies and nonlinear structural response", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 31(7), 996-1008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.03.006
- Bojorquez, E. and Rivera, J.L. (2008), "Effects of degrading models for ductility and dissipated hysteretic energy in uniform annual failure rate spectra", Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, October.
- Bojorquez, E. and Ruiz, S.E. (2004), "Strength reduction factors for the valley of Mexico taking into account low cycle fatigue effects", Proceedings of 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- Bojorquez, E., Ruiz, S.E. and Teran-Gilmore, A. (2008a), "Reliability-based evaluation of steel structures using energy concepts", Eng. Struct., 30(6), 1745-1759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.11.014
- Bojorquez, E., Iervolino, I. and Manfredi, G. (2008b), "Evaluating a new proxy for spectral shape to be used as an intensity measure", Proceedings of 2008 Seismic Engineering International Conference Commemorating the 1908 Messina and Reggio Calabria Earthquake (MERCEA'08), Reggiio Calabria, Italy, June.
- Bojorquez, E., Reyes-Salazar, A., Teran-Gilmore, A. and Ruiz, S.E. (2010), "Energy-based damage index for steel structures", J. Steel Compos. Struct., 10(4), 343-360.
- Bojorquez, E., Terán-Gilmore, A., Ruiz, S.E. and Reyes-Salazar, A. (2011), "Evaluation of structural reliability of steel frames: inter-story drifts versus plastic hysteretic energy", Earthq. Spectra, 27(3), 661-682. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3609856
- Bojorquez, E., Reyes-Salazar, A., Ruiz, S.E. and Bojorquez, J. (2013), "A new spectral shape-based record selection approach using Np and Genetic Algorithms", Math. Problems Eng., Volume 2013, 9 p.
- Buratti, N. (2011), "Confronto tra le performance di diverse misure di intensità dello scuotimento sísmico", Congreso Nacional de Ingenieria Sismica Italiano, ANDIS Bari 2011. [In Italian]
- Buratti, N. (2012), "A comparison of the perfomance of various ground-motion intensity measures", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Cordova, P.P., Dierlein, G.G., Mehanny, S.S.F. and Cornell, C.A. (2001), "Development of a two parameter seismic intensity measure and probabilistic assessment procedure0", Proceedings of the 2nd U.S.-Japan Workshop on Performance-Based Earthquake Engineering Methodology for Reinforce Concrete Building Structures, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan, September, pp. 187-206.
- Cosenza, E. and Manfredi, G. (1998), "A seismic design method including damage effect", Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paris, France, September.
- Housner, G.W. (1956), "Limit design of structures to resist earthquakes", Proceedings of the 1st World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Iervolino, I., Manfredi, G. and Cosenza, E. (2006), "Ground motion duration effects on nonlinear seismic response", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(1), 21-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.529
- MCSDP (2004), Normas Tecnicas Complementarias para el Diseno por Sismo; Departamento del Distrito Federal. [In Spanish]
- Mehanny, S.S.F. (2009), "A broad-range power-law form scalar-based seismic intensity measure", Eng. Struct., 31(7), 1354-1368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.003
- Montiel, M. and Ruiz, S.E. (2007), "Influence of structural capacity uncertainty on seismic reliability of buildings under narrow-band motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36(13), 1915-1934. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.711
- Rodriguez, M.E. and Padilla, C. (2008), "A damage index for the seismic analysis of reinforced concrete members", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(3), 364-383.
- Teran-Gilmore, A. and Jirsa, J.O. (2005), "A damage model for practical seismic design that accounts for low cycle fatigue", Earthq. Spectra, 21(3), 803-832. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1979500
- Teran-Gilmore, A. and Jirsa, J.O. (2007), "Energy demands for seismic design against low-cycle fatigue", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36(3), 383-404. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.663
- Teran-Gilmore, A., Sanchez-Badillo, A. and Espinosa Johnson, M. (2010), "Performance-based seismic design of reinforced concrete ductile buildings subjected to large energy demands", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 69-91. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.069
- Tothong, P. and Luco, N. (2007), "Probabilistic seismic demand analysis using advanced ground motion intensity measures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36, 1837-1860. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.696
- Trifunac, M.D. and Brady, A.G. (1975), "A study of the duration of strong earthquake ground motion", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 65(3), 581-626.
- Uang, C.M. and Bertero, V.V. (1990), "Evaluation of seismic energy in structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 19(1), 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290190108
- Von-Thun, J.L., Rochin, L.H., Scott, G.A. and Wilson, J.A. (1988), "Earthquake ground motions for design and analysis of dams", In: Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics II-Recent Advance in Ground-Motion Evaluation, Geotechnical Special Publication 20 ASCE, New York, NY, USA, 463-481.
- Yakut, A. and Yilmaz, H. (2008), "Correlation of deformation demands with ground motion intensity", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 134(12), 1818-1828. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:12(1818)
- 1. A simplified procedure to estimate peak drift demands for mid-rise steel and R/C frames under narrow-band motions in terms of the spectral-shape-based intensity measure INp vol.150, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.697
- 2. A modified three-parameter lognormal distribution for seismic demand assessment considering collapse data vol.22, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.697
- 3. Seismic hazard maps based on the intensity measure I Np vol.22, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.697
- 4. A new ground motion intensity measure I B vol.99, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.697
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana