- Volume 18 Issue 3
Clavicle medial end fracture is rare, and it has not been studied extensively. Although there is debate regarding its treatment methods, because of the complications of conservative treatment, surgical treatment has been considered more than conservative treatment. This study describes a surgical method using double-plate fixation for treatment of clavicle medial end fractures in which plates were used on each anterior and superior border according to the anatomical structure of the clavicle. In addition, we report operative results of three patients treated by double-plate fixation.
Clavicle;Medial end fracture;Double plate
- Nowak J, Holgersson M, Larsson S. Sequelae from clavicular fractures are common: a prospective study of 222 patients. Acta Orthop. 2005;76(4):496-502. https://doi.org/10.1080/17453670510041475
- Throckmorton T, Kuhn JE. Fractures of the medial end of the clavicle. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007;16(1):49-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2006.05.010
- Robinson CM. Fractures of the clavicle in the adult. Epidemiology and classification. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1998;80(3):476-84. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.80B3.8079
- Bartonicek J, Fric V, Pacovsky V. Displaced fractures of the medial end of the clavicle: report of five cases. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24(4):e31-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e3181aa5505
- Brinker MR, Simon RG. Pseudo-dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint. J Orthop Trauma. 1999;13(3):222-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-199903000-00012
- Fowler AW. Migration of a wire from the sternoclavicular joint to the pericardial cavity. Injury. 1981;13(3):261-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(81)90255-2
- Kim KC, Shin HD, Cha SM. Surgical treatment of displaced medial clavicle fractures using a small T-shaped plate and tension band sutures. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2011;131(12):1673-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-011-1367-5
- McKenna M. Plating of a periarticular medial clavicle fracture. Orthopedics. 2009;32(5):366. https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20090501-08
- Siebenlist S, Sandmann G, Kirchhoff C, Biberthaler P, Neumaier M. Anatomically precontoured LCP for delayed union of a medial third clavicle fracture. Case report with review of the literature. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2013;80(6):407-10.
- Self J, Viegas SF, Buford WL Jr, Patterson RM. A comparison of double-plate fixation methods for complex distal humerus fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1995;4:10-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(10)80002-3