- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy secondary to severe right and left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in a Maltese dog
- Yoon, Won-Kyoung (Guardian Angel Animal Hospital) ;
- Suh, Sang-Il (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Oh, Yeon-Su (Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hyun, Changbaig (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2015.06.01
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2015.09.30
An 8-year-old spayed female Maltese (2.5 kg of body weight) presented with the primary complaint of loud heart murmur and exercise intolerance. Diagnostic imaging revealed severe pulmonic stenosis (peak velocity 5.2 m/s) with right ventricular hypertrophy. The dog revisited after 2 years, at which time, diagnostic imaging revealed severe biventricular hypertrophy, dynamic left ventricular outflow tract obstruction, left atrial dilation and pulmonary hypertension with worsened pre-existing pulmonic stenosis. Postmortem investigation revealed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and regional myocardial infarction. The case was diagnosed as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy secondary to severe right and left ventricular outflow tract obstruction.
- Abbott JA. Feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: an update. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2010, 40, 685-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2010.04.004
- De Majo M, Britti D, Masucci M, Niutta PP, Pantano V. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy associated to mitral valve dysplasia in the Dalmatian dog: two cases. Vet Res Commun 2003, 27 (Suppl 1), 391-393.
- Lee SG, Moon HS, Hyun C. Pulmonic stenosis corrected by balloon valvuloplasty in a Maltese dog. Korean J Vet Res 2007, 47, 333-336.
- Liu SK, Maron BJ, Tilley LP. Canine hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1979, 174, 708-713.
- Maron BJ. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a systematic review. JAMA 2002, 287, 1308-1320.
- Pang D, Rondenay Y, Helie P, Cuvelliez SG, Troncy E. Sudden cardiac death associated with occult hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a dog under anesthesia. Can Vet J 2005, 46, 1122-1125.
- Washizu M, Takemura N, Machida N, Nawa H, Yamamoto T, Mitake H, Washizu T. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in an aged dog. J Vet Med Sci 2003, 65, 753-756. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.65.753