- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Analysis on the Economic Effects of the Electricity Industry of Korea and Japan
한국과 일본 전력산업의 경제적 파급효과 비교 분석
- Lee, Seung-Jae (School of Business administration, Baekseok Culture University) ;
- Euh, Seung Seub (Department of Energy Policy, School of Energy & Environment, Seoul National University of Science & Technology) ;
- Yoo, Seung-Hoon (Department of Energy Policy, School of Energy & Environment, Seoul National University of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2015.03.17
- Accepted : 2015.05.21
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study attempts to examine the economic impacts of electricity industry in Korea and Japan using an inter-industry analysis. Specifically, the study analyzes and compares electricity industry between Japan and Korea through production-inducing effect and value added inducing effect of electricity industry based on demand-driven model. Moreover, this study deals with supply shortage effect and sectoral price effect by using supply-driven model and Leontief price model, respectively. This study analyses the electricity industry through exogenous approach. The results show that electricity industry induces prodution-inducing effect of 0.5946 won in other industries in Korea and 0.5446 yen in other industries in Japan. Value-added-inducing effects are 0.1716 won in other in other industries in Korea and 0.2929 yen in other industries in Japan. Supply shortage effects of electricity industry are 1.5932 won in other industries in Korea and 1.2801 yen in other industries in Japan. And sectoral price effects are 0.2113% in Korea and 0.2196% in Japan due to the price increase of 10% of electricity industry.
- Bank of Korea (2013). '2011 Input-Output Table.' Seoul: Bank of Korea.
- Cho, J. H. National Economic Effects of Electricity Sector: Using Input-Output Analysis, GRI Review, 2011, 3(2), 115-132.
- Davis, H. C and E. L. S. Alternative Approaches to the Estimation of Economic Impacts Resulting from Supply Constraints, Annals of Regional Science, 1984, 18, 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01287372
- Kang, M. O., Hwang, W., Lee, S. Y. The Evironmentally Friendly Reform and its Effect of Subsidies in the Electric Power Sectors(I), Journal of environmental policy, 2007.
- Kang, G. C., Yang. S. D. The economic effects of the power industry using Input Output table, Journal of Economics, 1999, 13(1), 437-455.
- Kim, E. S, and Yoo, S. H., Lim, E. S. Analyzing the Effects of the Investment in Major SOC Sectors, The Journal of Korean Public Policy, 2008, 10(2), 39-60.
- Kwak, S. J. and Yoo, S. H., Han S. Y. Using an industrial Linkage Analysis-The National Economic Effects of Four Power Generation Sectors-, Environmental and Resource Economics Review, 2002, 11(4), 581-727.
- Jung, K. O. and Lim, E. S. Price Inducing Effect of Public Utility Charges in Korea, The Journal of Korean Public Policy, 2009, 11(3), 235-253.
- Hong, D. P., Hong, J. H. An Analysis of Software Industries in Korea, USA and Japan Using Input-Output Tables, Communications & Convergence Review, 2002, 9(2), 247-273.
- Ghosh, A. input-output Approach to an Allocative System, Economica, 1958, 25(1), 58-64. https://doi.org/10.2307/2550694
- Hirschman, A. O. The Stategy of Economic Development, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1953.
- Howe, C. W. and smith, M. G. The Value of Water Supply Reliability in Urban Water System, Journal of environmental Economics and Management, 1994, 26, 19-30. https://doi.org/10.1006/jeem.1994.1002
- Japaness Input-Output table(I-O table). Japan, Statistics Bureau of Japan; 2005, Retrieved in November.
- Jones, L. P. The Measurement of Hischmanian Linkage Hypothesis, Economics and Management, 1976, 26, 19-30.
- Miller, R.E. and Blair, P.D. Input-Output Analysis, Foundations and Extensions, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1985.
- Osterhaven, J. On the Plausibility of Supply-driven Input-output Model, Journal of Regional Science, 1988. 28, 203-217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9787.1988.tb01208.x
- Osterhaven, J. Leontief versus Ghoshian Price and Quantity Models, Southern Economic Journal, 1996. 62, 750-759. https://doi.org/10.2307/1060892
- Rose, A. and T. Allison. Onthe Plausibility of the Supply-driven Input-output Model: Empirical Evidence on Joint Stability", Journal of Regional Science, 1989. 29, 451-458. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9787.1989.tb01390.x
- Yoo, S. H. and C. Y. Yang. Role of Water Utility in the Korean National Economy", International Journal of Water Resoureces Development, 1999. 15, 527-542. https://doi.org/10.1080/07900629948745