- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Electric Resistance Heated Friction Stir Spot Welding of Overlapped Al5052 Alloy Sheets
중첩된 알루미늄 5052 합금판재의 전기저항가열 마찰교반점용접에 관한 연구
Kim, T.H.;Jang, M.S.;Jin, I.T.
- Received : 2014.12.15
- Accepted : 2015.02.11
- Published : 2015.08.01
Electric resistance spot welding has been used to join overlapped steel sheets in automotive bodies. Recently to reduce weight in automotive vehicles, non-ferrous metals are being used or considered in car bodies for hoods, trunk lids, doors parts, etc. Various welding processes such as laser welding, self-piercing rivet, friction stir welding are being used. In the current study, a new electric resistance heated friction stir spot welding is suggested for the spot welding of non-ferrous metals. The welding method can be characterized by three uses of heat -- electric resistance heating, friction stir heating and conduction heating of steel electrodes -- for the fusion joining at the interfacial zone between the two sheets. The welding process has variables such as welding current, diameter of the steel electrodes, revolutions per minute (rpm) of the friction stir pin, and the insert depth of the stir pin. In order to obtain the optimal welding variables, which provide the best welding strength, many experiments were conducted. From the experiments, it was found that the welding strength could be reached to the required production value by using an electrode diameter of 10mm, a current of 7.6kA, a stirring speed of 400rpm, and an insert depth of 0.8mm for the electric resistance heated friction stir spot welding of 5052 aluminum 1.5mm sheets.
Spot Welding;Friction Stir Welding;Electrical Resistance Heating;Aluminum Sheet;Welding Strength;Electrode
- J. H. Lee, T. H. Kim, M. Y. Lee, I. T. Jin, 2010, A Study on Welding Strength of Extru-Riveting Process of Aluminum Plates, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 460~467. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2010.19.8.460
- L. Shang, T. H. Kim, I. T. Jin, 2012, A Shaving Shear-Welding Process for Overlapped Aluminum Plates, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 467~472. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2012.21.8.467
- Y. S. Kim, 2012, Future of the Friction Stir Spot Welding Technology for Non-Ferrous Metal, J. of Kor. Welding Joining Soc., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 202~212.
- D. Mitlin, V. Radmilovic, T. Pan, J. Chen, Z. Feng, M. L. Santella, 2006, Structure–properties Relations in Spot Friction Welded(Also Known as Friction Stir Spot Welded) 6111 Aluminum, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, Vol. 441, No. 1, pp. 79~96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.06.126
- H. Badarinarayan, Y. Shi, X. Li, K. Okamoto, 2009, Effect of Tool Geometry on Hook Formation and Static Strength of Friction Stir Spot Welded Aluminum 5754-O Sheets, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol. 49, No. 11, pp. 814~823. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2009.06.001
- I. T. Jin, 2013, Electric Resistance Heated Friction Stir Welding, Korea Patent, 10-1331735.
- S. J. Lee, I. T. Jin, 2013, A Study of the Weld Strength of Extru-Rivet Spot Welding Using Electrodes Heated by Electric Resistance, Trans. Mater. Process, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 189~195. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2013.22.4.189
- S. J. Lee, T. H. Kim, I. T. Jin, 2014, A Study on the Effect of Pin Height on Weld Strength in Extru-Rivet Spot Welding of Aluminum Plates, Trans. Mater. Process, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 282~288. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2014.23.5.282